Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boyobob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I got this MacBook Pro in the recycling bin "any thing with a cord." The case and screen is trashed up; major damage to the aluminum. The screen has major cracks and is falling out. And the case is bent making the internal DVD inop.

When I took it home and powered it up, (it worked fine with an external monitor) I could see that it still worked and belonged to a female student. I didn't have her password so I took the hard drive out and put it into and external player. There was nothing to identify who she was, first names only, some pictures, some meaningless files from her classes.

I then put the hard drive back into the MacBook Pro and tried to update it with a retail version of Snow Leopard from an external DVD player, thinking I could wipe the drive and start over.

This caused a kernel panic. I tried every trick in to book with the same result.

Next I removed the hard drive again, and put it into the external case, and with my other computer (MacBook 13")I installed a full version of Snow Leopard. I put the drive back into the MacBook Pro and got the same kernel panic. I have tried restarting the PRAM, etc. again to no avail.

The MacBook Pro reports on the screen:

panic(cpu 8 caller 8x55716459)"unsupported CPU: family=0x6, model=8x2a, stepping=0x7"@/sourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-90/PM processor -C:210 Debugger called: panic.

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0
Fri July 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009
root: xnu-145
System Model Name MacBookPro8,1

Does any body have anything I could try to get this up again? It's still a lot of computer, of course, with an external monitor and Keyboard/mouse.

Thank a bunch!
Bob Robeson

Last edited:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
If it is indeed an 8,1 Macbook Pro you need 10.7.2+ to boot it and install/ wipe. 10.6 retail will not boot it. No drivers for the CPU. Of course even if you get that far other things could be wrong with it hence the "trash" bit. But who know? Worth 20.00 to find out. Have someone make you a 10.7.3 or greater bootable image either DVD or USB thumb drive or external HDD.

boyobob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
THANK YOU! Derbothaus

That worked like a charm! Thank you so much for haunting these sites with your pockets full of skills and willingness to help us in the masses who just don't know. May you be rewarded for your kindness 10X over. You are a pal. Bob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.