Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apbidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Looks like another iPhone 5 joins the jailbroken community. Probably only one of just s single handful of iPhone 5's that are jailbroken, but at least it brings hope that a public jailbreak will be available soon...

Video shows Cydia running, as well as an app for "evaluating and testing" applications and iFBA, an advanced arcade emulator that are available only from Cydia...
http://vimeo.com/50904249

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Looks like another iPhone 5 joins the jailbroken community. Probably only one of just s single handful of iPhone 5's that are jailbroken, but at least it brings hope that a public jailbreak will be available soon...

Video shows Cydia running, as well as an app for "evaluating and testing" applications and iFBA, an advanced arcade emulator that are available only from Cydia...
http://vimeo.com/50904249

He's probably using the jailbreak that needs a developer license for it if its real.....

apbidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
No cydia functionality, piracy and if compared to Chpwn's cydia version and phone version i would say a pretty good fake...

Not everyone that has the know enough to exploit an operating system follows the same code of ethics as the dev team and associates. Also, not everyone takes the same route to jailbreaking their devices unless everyone is using the same public method. Chpwn's method seems to be running Cydia version 1.1.6-2 instead of 1.1.6 shown in video. He also just tweets easily manipulated screen shots. If it weren't for his reputation, people would cry fake too. Description also says that piracy isn't endorsed and used for demonstrative purposes only. Let's face it, not all, but the application shown for "evaluating" apps is pretty popular and well recognized in the jailbroken community and I guess just wanted to show something familiar. The creator seems to have enough common sense not to incriminate himself by showing completion of the transfer. Looks like he took proper measures to try to show that it hasn't been altered just to look like that. The video was continuous and it was never taken out of the shot with a full turn around to ensure it's an iPhone 5. If it was a super still video on a tripod and perfect lighting, I would suspect video manipulation. But that crappy incandescent light that is reflecting off it at different angles, is not only annoying, but makes it harder for it to be manipulated.

I'm guessing he used iFBA to exhibit the power of the processor is in the new iPhone 5. I've tried running Street Fighter 3 Third Strike too on my old iPhone 4 and it wasn't nearly as smooth. I didn't really like the simplified AppStore versions of Street Fighter iV to be honest.

I saw PDAnet icon too, surprised you didn't call it fake cause unauthorized tethering is unethical. Looks like there's a terminal icon and AirServer installed. Boring to demonstrate that and AirServer sucks cause it doesn't support display mirroring, just AirPlay.

Still, even if real, doesn't mean that there's a feasible jailbreak that will be available to the public. Description even admits that there's bugs and issues even if it is releasable. Ultimately, at least it brings hope that something will be available soon...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Just remember, most do not have access to any newer versions of Cydia than 1.1.6-ios6 (used in tethered iOS6 jailbreak on older devices).

Since chpwn is one of the developers involved in updates to the Cydia app, he has access to the newest Cydia builds (1.1.6-2).

Some of these fakers have even stolen and used chpwn's screenshot of the open Cydia app.

Sadly, some of you are very, very easy to scam as demonstrated by all these "Is this jailbreak real" threads.

apbidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Just remember, most do not have access to any newer versions of Cydia than 1.1.6-ios6 (used in tethered iOS6 jailbreak on older devices).

Since chpwn is one of the developers involved in updates to the Cydia app, he has access to the newest Cydia builds (1.1.6-2).

Some of these fakers have even stolen and used chpwn's screenshot of the open Cydia app.

Sadly, some of you are very, very easy to scam as demonstrated by all these "Is this jailbreak real" threads.

Yeah so you're agreeing the video. It shows the public release build of Cydia 1.1.6 hence does fill the screen...

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yeah so you're agreeing the video. It shows the public release build of Cydia 1.1.6 hence does fill the screen...

you can change the version text easily with iFile, so no it doesn't mean anything unless opening/functioning cydia

apbidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
you can change the version text easily with iFile, so no it doesn't mean anything unless opening/functioning cydia

That makes less sense. You're saying someone with an iPhone 5, used iFile to modify the Cydia installed on his iPhone 5 to look like the same public release everyone has cause its more believable than showing an internal release he would have a harder time getting access to?

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Maybe, I'm wrong but couldn't this guy take a video of himself messing around with a jailbroken phone, post the video on youtube, and then pull up the youtube video on his iPhone 5 and pretend like he's using his phone when really he's just playing a video?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
That makes less sense. You're saying someone with an iPhone 5, used iFile to modify the Cydia installed on his iPhone 5 to look like the same public release everyone has cause its more believable than showing an internal release he would have a harder time getting access to?

You can edit the version, take a screenshot and pull that up as a webclip, so no it does makes sense, but apparently some people just ignore all the relevant threads and stick to this one video, fine with me.

Joshua Hill
‏@p0sixninja
@ljscott @keshiaryan07 @iike_a_sir @antoneglia they're all f4kes

http://twitter.com/p0sixninja/status/256281693097431040

Last edited:

apbidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
You can edit the version, take a screenshot and pull that up as a webclip, so no it does makes sense, but apparently some people just ignore all the relevant threads and stick to this one video, fine with me.

Joshua Hill
‏@p0sixninja
@ljscott @keshiaryan07 @iike_a_sir @antoneglia they're all f4kes

http://twitter.com/p0sixninja/status/256281693097431040

That would be true if you didn't see it utilize the taller screen. You can see the buttons in iFBA for coins or start menu trailing off to the wider part. Also, that guy must of rehearsed it A LOT to make it look like his presses are in sync with the "video" playing on his iPhone 5. Besides, once you tap it, it brings up the playback menu/controls. You seem to be thinking about all possibilities except the this video shows that its likely jail broken. I guess he could've extended the video to twice or three times the length to demonstrate iPhone 5 unique features, then it would be an Apple commercial at that point.

What are your other possibilities other than playing a video and mimicking hundreds of keystrokes to the exact millisecond in about 2 mins time? Merged a jail broken iPhone clip with an stock iPhone 5 clip to make it look the same? Then CGI'ed in some Jail-broken Apps into the iPhone 5 into a portion of the clip even though transitioning and wallpaper wouldn't line up?

Even p0sixninja excluded this video from his recent tweet about the fakes. Like I said in another thread, more than likely, most are fakes, but this video seems thorough enough to show legitimacy. Anything short of an hour long video at multiple angles demonstrating iPhone 5 unique features.

Unlike the fakes, the video isn't making ludicrous claims or selling anything. It's just showing progress. We don't know if it's even reboot-able, all that was mentioned was bugs exists. Everything shown in it is unique unlike the fakes, many of which were reusing chpwn's screenshot.

To be honest, it shows more evidence than anything the dev team ever showed if it weren't for their reputation and credibility...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Long diatribe about how impossible it is to have faked the Cydia screenshot

I would say the easiest way would be to paste together two screencaps in photoshop and just edit the model information. Would take me about 5 minutes.

That would be true if you didn't see it utilize the taller screen. You can see the buttons in iFBA for coins or start menu trailing off to the wider part. Also, that guy must of rehearsed it A LOT to make it look like his presses are in sync with the "video" playing on his iPhone 5. Besides, once you tap it, it brings up the playback menu/controls. You seem to be thinking about all possibilities except the this video shows that its likely jail broken. I guess he could've extended the video to twice or three times the length to demonstrate iPhone 5 unique features, then it would be an Apple commercial at that point.

What are your other possibilities other than playing a video and mimicking hundreds of keystrokes to the exact millisecond in about 2 mins time? Merged a jail broken iPhone clip with an stock iPhone 5 clip to make it look the same?

Or maybe he used Xcode to compile iFBA (the source code of which is freely available on github) and installed it using the developer tools?

Then CGI'ed in some Jail-broken Apps into the iPhone 5 into a portion of the clip even though transitioning and wallpaper wouldn't line up?

Don't be dense: web clips can put any icon you like on any iPhone. And I imagine you know that.

Listen, I'm not saying that the guy doesn't have a jailbroken iPhone. I'm just saying that this video does not prove he does.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
To be honest, it shows more evidence than anything the dev team ever showed if it weren't for their reputation and credibility...

I have seen demo's from @comex, @pod2g, @musclenerd and @i0n1c

This is what a credible demo looks like, both by@pod2g:
http://www.pod2g.org/2012/05/ipad-3-ios-51-untethered-jailbreak.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rDBHXbwgdc4

by @musclenerd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgHNayVtHkQ

by @comex
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ipad-2-ios-4.3-by-comex-confirmed/

by @i0n1c
http://www.ijailbreak.com/ipad/german-hacker-i0n1c-has-jailbroken-untethered-the-ios-4-3-firmware/

EAT SOME HUMBLE PIE

apbidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
I don't deny that those sources are credible. Those people have a reputation so more credit is given obviously. Also, I never said this video is real or fake. I'm saying that its reasonable to believe in its legitimacy. There's no evidence that pointing to any form of fraud. It's pretty thorough, but yes, it can be more thorough as to eliminate any doubt. With that in mind, I don't think anyone can pass judgement of its validity. I'm simply pointing out the lack of evidence in the arguments pointing out of that its fake when it's purely based on assumptions and speculative. To say with certainty that either real or fake is foolish. Rather than making personal attacks, I'm just keeping it objective by pointing out the flaws in logic from doubters by playing devil's advocate.

I never knew iFBA was open source. True, the creator could've simply rewrote it a little and recompiled and signed it off as a developer. Ultimately, the application would still install in the user directory. No matter what's done to it, even if the icon is transparent, and even if its set as a pre-rendered icon in the plist. It'll still show up with a black square icon mask on the springboard. You can reskin the icon mask with Winterboard or you can simply edit the icon mask images in the System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app folder. Either method would still require root access that a jailbreak gives. Yet, two icons (iFBA and AirServer) are transparent that only System level applications can have on a non-jailbroken phone.

Ultimately, can't say with certainty it's real, but there's a lot of reason to believe that. Can't say its fake either cause I see no evidence of such. In the end I'm just trying to get people, to put loosely, keep it real. There's a lot of fakes out there, but you should ls still maintain a stance between skeptism and being naive.

Personally though, it seems real, but probably using a developer's exploit. I kinda doubt that the creator will find something that is releasable to the public. Even then, it's admitted in the description that there are "issues"...

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

your huge amount of text still does not support your previous statement. If you can't dazzle em with your briliance, baffle'em with your BS.....

Your alleged jailbreak vid doesn't proof anything, you are using a reverse reasoning model; you can't proof it is fake.

All the real jailbreaks have posted ample proof, while this vid is highly suspicious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.