Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
kre62
macrumors 65816

Just won the iPhone 5 hardware lottery

Wow. I knew perfect iphone 5 units existed, but I was starting to lose hope. Heres my journey:

1st Phone: Launch day phone. Screen clear and nice, fast hardware, instant response. Problem: Camera broken/inoperable.

2nd Phone: Yellow screen. Dingy yellow. Saw it right away. Terrible.

3rd Phone: Clear screen, good camera, performance was off. Was no faster then my 4S, static on sreen, stuff kinda jumped around, maps struggled. Like I was missing a few GPU cores. Benchmarks in the low 1100s.

4th Phone: Great performance, camera works flawlessly, yellow screen. I just want the phone thats on display at the Apple store.

5th phone: I knew it! Most beautiful, bluist, clearest most amazing screen of the bunch (matched display phones). Camera is flawless. Performance is off the charts. Smooth maps, instant everything, flawless touch response. Got my highest LTE reading yet, 65Mbps. This is the phone I've been looking for.

Moral: If you thinkt he 5 feels just kinda faster then the 4s, or you arent Wowed by it's performance, get it replaced. If you think the screen on your 5 looks kinda yellow, but are trying to convince yourself it supposed to be that way due to glue or warmer calibration, get it replaced.

The phone Apple intended exists out there, I encourage you to find it. It's awesome.
kre62 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:17 PM   #2
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

sounds like you were very unlucky to me - not lucky at all.

yet you sound over the moon about getting the phone you should have got 1st off after many replacements! I would have given up after 3.
charlieegan3 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:19 PM   #3
darkside flow
macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear it took so long to find it.. Glad mine was perfect out of the box the first time. I do agree that people should not settle until their phone is perfect given the premium you pay.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:24 PM   #4
jlake02
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you won the iPhone raffle, not lottery

Lottery would mean you got it perfect on the first shot!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Cpnyc88
macrumors member

Apple sent me a new phone cuz of all the scuffs on my first one. The screen was noticeably yellow. I sent it back and went into the Apple store to get it swapped, that screen was noticeably yellow too. Putting it next to my gf's shows a big difference but I give up
Cpnyc88 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:31 PM   #6
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

I almost gave up on iPad3 swaps. Went through, I want to say maybe like 6 -- even then, give or take. And Color Profiles slight tweaking made it perfect.

Won't be purchasing a new iPad anytime soon (Mini/4/etc)

I know your pain/wasted time

But if you give up, then it has been completely wasted.

By 2 or 3, you should hold off. But sometimes you're too deep and getting results is necessary.
thadoggfather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Maclver
macrumors 68000

Ok I don't understand number 3 on your list..... Did you try doing a restore and starting clean? Because I highly doubt that the chip inside the phone was produced wrong...

That one just seems off.
Maclver is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:53 PM   #8
jf1450
macrumors member

Don't drop it! :-)
jf1450 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:35 PM   #9
nostresshere
macrumors 68000

Two iphones in family. both are still on their first ones.
nostresshere is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 06:33 PM   #10
kre62
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclver View Post
Ok I don't understand number 3 on your list..... Did you try doing a restore and starting clean? Because I highly doubt that the chip inside the phone was produced wrong...

That one just seems off.
I hear you. I did a dfu restore, everything. On maps it was choppy, and on flyover it was not smooth at all. Not my experience with the other phones.
kre62 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Sounds like you're way too picky
Applejuiced is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Gooberton
macrumors regular

Get a life
Gooberton is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 06:46 PM   #13
karmatourer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to karmatourer
Glad the OP got all the bad ones.
karmatourer is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 06:49 PM   #14
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Who did you people wrong in another life that you are constantly cursed with inferior Apple products out of the box?

In 25 years I returned 1 Apple product. A mouse that had a bent pin in the ps/2 connector. :P
Old Oct 7, 2012, 07:04 PM   #15
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

Too picky.
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 07:40 PM   #16
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Awesome! I was wondering what was going on with your phone. Thanks for touching base.
AFDoc is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Sounds like you're way too picky
Why is it I always get perfect units of each Apple product I buy and so many others seem to have such a hard time?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:03 PM   #18
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Why is it I always get perfect units of each Apple product I buy and so many others seem to have such a hard time?
I know. Same here. I think it's a conspiracy. Apple is pretty sneaky. Put out a few bad ones, and then deliver us a perfect one. Well played Apple. Well played.
darster is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Macinva
macrumors regular

Congrats on getting a good one. I tried 3 and gave up. I've returned mine to AT&T and am back on my 4S. It's not as shiny and new as the 5, but I don't have any problems with it.

There's always the next model.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:10 PM   #20
evorc
macrumors regular

I was like this on my iPhone 4, looking back now God what a douche I was. It seems that when you are this mode you find the tiniest flaws and make a big deal of them. Not only its a waste of time but its embarrassing and made me look like someone obsessed of a damn phone. Overtime I learned to live with minor flaws simply because I hate wasting time. It's just a phone I will replace in a year or two! I'm glad I kept my iPhone 5 despite the speck on camera lens which cause no harm on my pics. To me you didn't win, you wasted your time over a phone that will eventually wear out.
evorc is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:12 PM   #21
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

I have never had to return an Apple product. People are just way too OCD and picky.
andyx3x is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:14 PM   #22
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

i can defitnetly agree the iphone 5 screen is clearer and better then the 4S and the 4, i seen them in the verizon store, the 4s and the 4 had a slight reflection from the light and it didnt pop through the screen as much as the 5 and the 5 had like no reflection on the screen it was amazing
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:18 PM   #23
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
sounds like you were very unlucky to me - n
It has nothing to do with luck. Until you've had the experience it's hard to understand. The OP experienced Apple's spotty quality.

Many of us have also had this experience. Some have the determination & patience of the OP to do what it takes to get a decent iP5, and some do not.

Kudos to the OP for your perseverance. I'm happy to hear it turned out to your satisfaction.

Too bad Apple can't seem to get a consistent flow of high quality new iP5's out of Foxconn.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:23 PM   #24
evorc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx3x View Post
I have never had to return an Apple product. People are just way too OCD and picky.
Lol well said! I can understand some parts not functioning right. But yellow screen? Heck people pay others to calibrate their LCD TVs for proper calibration. Hence warmer calibration. Warmer screens represents color more accurately. That bluish look that people go for is not proper. Which is why displays in stores tend to be bluer to attract customers.
evorc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:23 PM   #25
dmelgar
macrumors 65816

You can't have different phones with different performance. Its not like the spinning wheel is sticking or something. Computers work or they don't. No such thing as a slow one vs. a fast one of the same model.

Chances are the phone was doing something in the background while you were trying to test it, such as restoring a backup from iCloud or installing apps, etc.

Of all the supposed issues, this isn't one of them.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone