Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Wow. I knew perfect iphone 5 units existed, but I was starting to lose hope. Heres my journey:

1st Phone: Launch day phone. Screen clear and nice, fast hardware, instant response. Problem: Camera broken/inoperable.

2nd Phone: Yellow screen. Dingy yellow. Saw it right away. Terrible.

3rd Phone: Clear screen, good camera, performance was off. Was no faster then my 4S, static on sreen, stuff kinda jumped around, maps struggled. Like I was missing a few GPU cores. Benchmarks in the low 1100s.

4th Phone: Great performance, camera works flawlessly, yellow screen. I just want the phone thats on display at the Apple store.

5th phone: I knew it! Most beautiful, bluist, clearest most amazing screen of the bunch (matched display phones). Camera is flawless. Performance is off the charts. Smooth maps, instant everything, flawless touch response. Got my highest LTE reading yet, 65Mbps. This is the phone I've been looking for.

Moral: If you thinkt he 5 feels just kinda faster then the 4s, or you arent Wowed by it's performance, get it replaced. If you think the screen on your 5 looks kinda yellow, but are trying to convince yourself it supposed to be that way due to glue or warmer calibration, get it replaced.

The phone Apple intended exists out there, I encourage you to find it. It's awesome.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
sounds like you were very unlucky to me - not lucky at all.

yet you sound over the moon about getting the phone you should have got 1st off after many replacements! I would have given up after 3.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Sorry to hear it took so long to find it.. Glad mine was perfect out of the box the first time. I do agree that people should not settle until their phone is perfect given the premium you pay.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Sounds like you won the iPhone raffle, not lottery ;)

Lottery would mean you got it perfect on the first shot! :D

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
Apple sent me a new phone cuz of all the scuffs on my first one. The screen was noticeably yellow. I sent it back and went into the Apple store to get it swapped, that screen was noticeably yellow too. Putting it next to my gf's shows a big difference but I give up

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I almost gave up on iPad3 swaps. Went through, I want to say maybe like 6 -- even then, give or take. And Color Profiles slight tweaking made it perfect.

Won't be purchasing a new iPad anytime soon (Mini/4/etc)

I know your pain/wasted time :(

But if you give up, then it has been completely wasted.

By 2 or 3, you should hold off. But sometimes you're too deep and getting results is necessary.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Ok I don't understand number 3 on your list..... Did you try doing a restore and starting clean? Because I highly doubt that the chip inside the phone was produced wrong...

That one just seems off.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Ok I don't understand number 3 on your list..... Did you try doing a restore and starting clean? Because I highly doubt that the chip inside the phone was produced wrong...

That one just seems off.

I hear you. I did a dfu restore, everything. On maps it was choppy, and on flyover it was not smooth at all. Not my experience with the other phones.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Who did you people wrong in another life that you are constantly cursed with inferior Apple products out of the box?

In 25 years I returned 1 Apple product. A mouse that had a bent pin in the ps/2 connector. :p

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Why is it I always get perfect units of each Apple product I buy and so many others seem to have such a hard time? :confused:

I know. Same here. I think it's a conspiracy. Apple is pretty sneaky. Put out a few bad ones, and then deliver us a perfect one. Well played Apple. Well played.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Congrats on getting a good one. I tried 3 and gave up. I've returned mine to AT&T and am back on my 4S. It's not as shiny and new as the 5, but I don't have any problems with it.

There's always the next model.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I was like this on my iPhone 4, looking back now God what a douche I was. It seems that when you are this mode you find the tiniest flaws and make a big deal of them. Not only its a waste of time but its embarrassing and made me look like someone obsessed of a damn phone. Overtime I learned to live with minor flaws simply because I hate wasting time. It's just a phone I will replace in a year or two! I'm glad I kept my iPhone 5 despite the speck on camera lens which cause no harm on my pics. To me you didn't win, you wasted your time over a phone that will eventually wear out.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I have never had to return an Apple product. People are just way too OCD and picky.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
i can defitnetly agree the iphone 5 screen is clearer and better then the 4S and the 4, i seen them in the verizon store, the 4s and the 4 had a slight reflection from the light and it didnt pop through the screen as much as the 5 and the 5 had like no reflection on the screen it was amazing

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
sounds like you were very unlucky to me - n
It has nothing to do with luck. Until you've had the experience it's hard to understand. The OP experienced Apple's spotty quality.

Many of us have also had this experience. Some have the determination & patience of the OP to do what it takes to get a decent iP5, and some do not.

Kudos to the OP for your perseverance. I'm happy to hear it turned out to your satisfaction.

Too bad Apple can't seem to get a consistent flow of high quality new iP5's out of Foxconn.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I have never had to return an Apple product. People are just way too OCD and picky.

Lol well said! I can understand some parts not functioning right. But yellow screen? Heck people pay others to calibrate their LCD TVs for proper calibration. Hence warmer calibration. Warmer screens represents color more accurately. That bluish look that people go for is not proper. Which is why displays in stores tend to be bluer to attract customers.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
You can't have different phones with different performance. Its not like the spinning wheel is sticking or something. Computers work or they don't. No such thing as a slow one vs. a fast one of the same model.

Chances are the phone was doing something in the background while you were trying to test it, such as restoring a backup from iCloud or installing apps, etc.

Of all the supposed issues, this isn't one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.