Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:44 PM   #51
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
Can't change the brain we are given - some are more critical than others for many reasons. You can try to make adjustments when you realize it though.
Yes, but there's also Dr's and medication available for that
Applejuiced is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:45 PM   #52
Mbman81
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
The sad thing is, I doubt he's alone...anyone remember all of the " my iPad edges show too much light when there isa black screen and the brightness is turned all the way up" complainers?
That is a real issue. Light leak bothers me more then the chip / dings / scratches. I can be somewhat tolerant of the chips or dings, but a screen issue, such as light leak or dead pixels, is another level of severity! Just my opinion.
Mbman81 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:47 PM   #53
BENJMNS
macrumors 6502

If I were the apple retail guy helping some of you guys out I'd be embarrassed for you. Seriously weird people that need to get a life.

You do understand that $130k Porsches don't come absolutely perfect from the factory right? I know.
BENJMNS is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:52 PM   #54
NedFlanders
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
My iPhone 5 got a little bit above 1000ms in sun spider. Is that good?
What version of sun spider? I just ran 0.9.1 and my phone scored a 910ms
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	367540  
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:54 PM   #55
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinja View Post
You're right, I haven't. But that doesn't change the fact that I've not received a single defunct device, even though it seems to be a huge problem according to the OP.
Yeah, he probably just got very unlucky. But I think the iPhone 5 has a higher rate of defective phones than previous models. My mom bought an iPhone 4 (passed on to me now) against the advice of pretty much every media company out there, and it was perfect.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowplayer View Post
We are not fanboys. All ur three exchanges were justified. Have you read the reasons for his exchanges? He's sick and parasite to the society.
The Society of Hardcore Apple Fans? I guess being part of the society means taking one for the team: You get a phone with a broken camera or a yellow-tinted screen, you keep it. I'd kick him out if I were you since he doesn't seem to have that kind of team spirit.

Last edited by faroZ06; Oct 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
faroZ06 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:55 PM   #56
Bigboibbp
macrumors member

Gotta say im in the OP's position where i just dont think its possible to get a perfect iphone 5 anymore...

So a little bit on my story... i did line up for 8+ hrs on launch day and got a 32gb black att iphone which was EXACTLY what i wanted. It was FAST it was great. It had a SMALL scratch/scuff on the rim but literally the size of a needle head. Long story short it got drenched by geek squad when they put the invisishield on it and started acting up... of corse, i was in a state of shock after receiving my iphone 5 back from them and for some reason listed to the csr and took it back to the apple store to return (as opposed to raising hell at bestbuy for messing up my phone). I also did want a 64gb by that point and was okay with returning the phone.

about a week later (yesterday night) i was able to reserve a 64Gb Black iphone 5 at the apple store on michigan ave and picked it up today (during the traffic-hell called the Chicago marathon) and i literally went through 4 different phones 2 of which were officially in stock, 1 which i had reserved, and 1 which was "unofficially" in stock (dont ask, i dont know but thats what they said).

ALL OF THEM had scratches/scuffs. i didnt even bother powering up phones 2&3 and since the 4th was the last they had i ended up taking the 4th.

Now after leaving the apple store i am noticing that the phone is a bit more sluggish and is suffering the same purple halo. and battery life isnt close to what my first 32gb ip5 was. I have honestly lost all hope of getting a perfect phone and not really sure if its worth it to keep trying.

Honestly, ive even read some of these posts and really thought about how crazy people have to be to obsess over these things, but trust me i really beat up my phones, last thing i want is one that has gotten a head start (not to mention that these things aint cheap).

Ive also attached 2 photos showing that the purple halo is a defect. first on is a pic from my first 32 gb iphone, no halo. 2nd is from my current 64 gb iphone 5.

To the op: Congrats on finally getting a perfect one... i think i just lost this lottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx3x View Post
I have never had to return an Apple product. People are just way too OCD and picky.
I'd love to see you open a brand new iphone 5 (having know its not the first one you opened that day) with a huge chip on the sideband... basically able to see the metal under the paint on the band like if someone dropped it on the floor from 20+ ft and say its perfectly okay. Sure the first phone i opened was only a scuff on the rim, but there was one where the metal band was just chipped to hell. I'd like to see you take that home after having an apple employee tell you its normal even after you seen the surprised look on their face when you showed it to them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2774.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	367541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2780.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1,000.2 KB
ID:	367542  

Last edited by Bigboibbp; Oct 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Bigboibbp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:57 PM   #57
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Second one is already perfect. This guy is the sole reason others couldn't get a phone.
"2nd Phone: Yellow screen. Dingy yellow. Saw it right away. Terrible."
I'd like to see your iPhone. Maybe you have one that came with no Phone app and a broken home button, so your standards are low.

The amount of fanboyism from some of the people on this thread is off the charts. I normally don't go around calling the Apple bias on people, but there's no way you'd be satisfied if you bought a Droid and had it come with a yellow-tinted screen.
faroZ06 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:18 AM   #58
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedFlanders View Post
What version of sun spider? I just ran 0.9.1 and my phone scored a 910ms
Sweet score. I just got 1000 even!

Running it again gave me 913. Hope my phone is running ok.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0298.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	367554  
KoukiFC3S is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:27 AM   #59
kre62
macrumors 65816

Add something else to the list terrific battery life! Still on initIal charge started with 55% now after all day at 22%.

I expected some negative feedback but if someone tells me something should be a certain way, i dont roll over when they give me something different. The phones on display are awesome, and thats the phone id like and now have. Sorry if i stand up for myself.

To those commenting about the performance issues: youre wrong. The phone was definitely defective. Maybe the processor was fine, but as mentioned in the op something was up with the gpu. It could barely scroll around on maps. Pinch to zoom was choppy and unresponsive. Even app animations were choppy. None of the other phones acted like this. Definitely defective.

For those asking about the yellow screen i simply pulled out a 4S opened settings and put them side by side. Then put it next to a display iphone 5. The genius didnt even flinch he was more horrified then i was. I was just trying to get him to replace the screen but he insisted on a full retail box swap. A+ service.
kre62 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:34 AM   #60
hollowplayer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
Sweet score. I just got 1000 even!

Running it again gave me 913. Hope my phone is running ok.
Lower the better. Every iPhone has same CPU don't worry.
hollowplayer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:53 AM   #61
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Lower the better. Every iPhone has same CPU don't worry.
Don't let benchmark scores eat you alive lol.

I did it the first time, got a 1058. Did a second time, got a 931. did it a third time, got a 910.

the important part is that at no point did my phone feel like it was going to explode.
aphexacid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:17 AM   #62
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
You want him to just settle with a broken camera or a yellow-tinted screen? Or at the best, a slow and unresponsive phone? Talk about low expectations... and this is Apple you're talking about, the king of high expectations. And don't you realize that an iPhone is the price of a full-sized, decent PC (and by that I mean a used Mac)?
Believe it or not, many of these issues aren't actually real. The user goes on macrumors forums and sees that one user had a yellow tinted screen and starts looking for that problem in their own phone. Much of the time, if they search for it hard enough, they will find it. Much like hypochondriacs always find diseases they dont actually have .
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:30 AM   #63
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

How's the vibrate....? Loud? Does it buzz a little

I'm just chokin ya chain... congrats on the flawless phone. I would be pretty picky too. These things are expensive.
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:57 AM   #64
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Second one is already perfect. This guy is the sole reason others couldn't get a phone.
No, poor quality control and poor planning by Apple are the sole reasons.
Rocko1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:38 AM   #65
kre62
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgm541 View Post
Believe it or not, many of these issues aren't actually real. The user goes on macrumors forums and sees that one user had a yellow tinted screen and starts looking for that problem in their own phone. Much of the time, if they search for it hard enough, they will find it. Much like hypochondriacs always find diseases they dont actually have .
According to the Genius' I showed, it's real my friend.

I now have a much superior screen. We put them side by side. It was no contest.

So if perfect screens exist, yellow ones are defects. End of story.
kre62 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:44 AM   #66
GoodBoy
macrumors 6502

5 swaps in a row and you call it a lottery win? Funny, I would rather call it a bad luck!
GoodBoy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:44 AM   #67
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

Well my iPhone 5 has been perfect for me.
taedouni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:46 AM   #68
Adutrumque
Banned

Weird title of thread.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:51 AM   #69
Shaddow825
macrumors 6502

IMO the blue screens are just as wrong as the yellow. Didn't quite realize it until I look at my iphone4 now. Why would you want something so blue and sacrifice having the "best consumer display" made. Glad mine is white
Shaddow825 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:55 AM   #70
GoodBoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddow825 View Post
IMO the blue screens are just as wrong as the yellow. Didn't quite realize it until I look at my iphone4 now. Why would you want something so blue and sacrifice having the "best consumer display" made. Glad mine is white
Totally agreed. Blue screens in initial iPhone 4 batches looked appealing when browsing menus and stuff, but compared to some good-calibrated screens they look pale and desaturated, especially when watching movies or photos. Yellow is also bad. The best screens out there are the ones on the neutral side without any specific color tint or perhaps just a little warm (but not yellow at all!). Unfortunately with iPhone 5 Apple is using the same strategy regarding screens as with iPhone 4S. You can either get warm or very cold tinted panel. The neutral properly calibrated ones are very hard to find.
GoodBoy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:03 AM   #71
kre62
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
Totally agreed. Blue screens in initial iPhone 4 batches looked appealing when browsing menus and stuff, but compared to some good-calibrated screens they look pale and desaturated, especially when watching movies or photos. Yellow is also bad. The best screens out there are the ones on the neutral side without any specific color tint or perhaps just a little warm (but not yellow at all!). Unfortunately with iPhone 5 Apple is using the same strategy regarding screens as with iPhone 4S. You can either get warm or very cold tinted panel. The neutral properly calibrated ones are very hard to find.
I should clarify.

My new screen is clear, white, and beautiful. It is more neutral then blue. It is a correct screen.

It just looks a ton more blue/white then my piss screen I had before.
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:06 PM   #72
EhsanAhmad
macrumors newbie

I have had 2 genius appointments and they won't replace it after the first because of yellow screen saying its just different manufacturer eventhough all the display models have different screen
EhsanAhmad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:24 PM   #73
novatwin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
I should clarify.

My new screen is clear, white, and beautiful. It is more neutral then blue. It is a correct screen.

It just looks a ton more blue/white then my piss screen I had before.
And the million dollar question is...

What week and factory did it come from?
novatwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:29 PM   #74
kre62
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatwin View Post
And the million dollar question is...

What week and factory did it come from?
I should have been better at tracking this but heres what I remember for the other phones:

1) D factory, good screen
2) F1 Factory, Piss yellow
3) F2 factory, good screen
4) F1 factory, piss yellow

5 and Final phone: F2 factory, week 39

Hope that helps.
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:36 PM   #75
robaroo
macrumors member

i've owned every iphone that has come out. iphone 1, iphone 2, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, iphone 4, iphone 4s, and now iphone 5. all of them. every single one of them has been perfect out of the box. it's so weird to read people who go through three, four, maybe even five phones without finding a good one....

I don't know. At least the more people that quit on the iphone, the more iphones there will be for the rest of us at the next launch. People quitting on the iphone may be a good thing.

----------

btw, i have a girlfriend with an iphone 4s. it was perfect. i have a best friend with a slate iphone 5. it was perfect. my best friend's girlfriend's iphone 4s. it was perfect. another friend with a white iphone 5. it was perfect. does this forum just attract people with bad phones?
robaroo is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone