Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I've switched Facebook contact group and birthday calendar off on my iPhone a million times but it keeps turning itself back on. Is this a known problem or does anyone have any suggestions to resolve it?

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I've switched Facebook contact group and birthday calendar off on my iPhone a million times but it keeps turning itself back on. Is this a known problem or does anyone have any suggestions to resolve it?
I think it keeps the facebook info for people who are in your contact list before you synced with Facebook. But it removes the people you did not have in there.

Hope that helps.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
No I mean I turn it off and like a day later it'll be back "on" again and my calendar will be flooded with birthdays and my contacts my whole list of FB friends.

ubernerdsteve

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
No I mean I turn it off and like a day later it'll be back "on" again and my calendar will be flooded with birthdays and my contacts my whole list of FB friends.

I was annoyed by this so I haven't quite followed the scientific method so I don't know if it requires everything here but the last steps of allowing FB access to your cal and contacts is needed to fix the issue. I don't particularly want much from Facebook on my phone and everything here seems to do that for me.

Notification Center (NC):
Turned off Facebook App so it now shows in the "Not in Notification Center" list - doing this will still leave birthdays in the NC for some reason

Facebook App:
Turned off all notifications - I believe Events are the important one here.

iCal:
Now this is where I had the same problem as you - I turned off the facebook reminders and they kept selecting themselves again. I noticed it was if I clicked on anything facebook related...especially those annoying notifications you cant get rid of in the NC.

I fixed both problems by going to System Settings - Facebook - Allow These Apps to Use Your Account -> and turning off Calendar and Contacts

Contacts - This will remove the option in your iCal to select FBbirthdays (hence keeping iCal from turning it back on again) and will remove birthdays from your notifications center.

Calendar - This will remove the option to get FB "Events" from your iCal and will remove FB events from your NC.

I don't want events or birthdays so I will keep them both off. I do like my actual contacts keeping up to date with FB sometimes but it's not work it to have my ical and nc flooded with birthdays. The easiest way I have found to get around this is to periodically temporarily enable contacts, hit the update button and then turn it off again.

One other added benefit I have noticed is that I no longer have the issue with iMessage sending to an FB account instead of their phone number. I used to have this issue when searching for a contact within iMessage (as opposed to clicking the send message from within your address book).

Sorry to bring up the dead, but I figured it's only a month old and this FB integration to me so far has been just about as pleasant as chewing on glass.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Thank you- I've still been struggling with this and I'll try what you suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.