Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daitalianjob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I preordered the Grove bamboo case for the iPhone 5, and now that it is available, I can't think of a design to put on it. I'm not a big fan of the designs they offer, so I'm still debating what custom design to submit.

Do any of you have the case for your iPhone? Doesn't necessarily have to be the iPhone 5. If you do, can you post pictures of your case and they design you chose/made? Thanks! :D

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I was thinking about getting a design on mine, but it bumps up the price too much so I just went with the plain one. I preordered early enough to get in the first wave of shipments, 10/26.

aCuria

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
I am rather worried about the "case splitting in 2" splitting issue that plagued the earlier models... When the case costs this much it had better outlast the the phone (5 years perhaps?), and grove makes no claims to that effect.

The plain case costs more than 4 switcheasy nudes, which comes bundled with 2 screen protectors and 1 back protector.

If grove would give a 5 year warranty on their product, I would not be so hesitant.

Right now they offer a 6 month warranty and a 30% discount after that (if they still produce the product). This is inferior to what their competitors are offering, for example moshi has a lifetime warranty on their cases

Last edited:

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
I am rather worried about the "case splitting in 2" splitting issue that plagued the earlier models... When the case costs this much it had better outlast the the phone (5 years perhaps?), and grove makes no claims to that effect.

The plain case costs more than 4 switcheasy nudes, which comes bundled with 2 screen protectors and 1 back protector.

If grove would give a 5 year warranty on their product, I would not be so hesitant.

Right now they offer a 6 month warranty and a 30% discount after that (if they still produce the product). This is inferior to what their competitors are offering, for example moshi has a lifetime warranty on their cases

It's wood. It's inconsistent. This is one of the big reasons we make ours from paper. The other? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR9-xMpWaOU

As far as the warranty, of course a plastic case manufacturer can offer a lifetime warranty. Those things drop off a conveyor belt, with little to no human interaction. A case like ours goes through many steps of hand work. Nature of the product. Also, if you read Moshi's warranty, you'll see quite a few exceptions. I wouldn't be surprised if they never replaced anything with how that's worded. :)

A warranty should be protection against manufacturing defects, not a eternal replacement guarantee. If you want that, expect to pay extra for it.

te3iz

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I've ordered the one with the "Two Birds" design. I find their designs superior to the competition. As far as durability goes, I do realize that it may not last me a lifetime, but who cares? It's just a case. I'll get tired of it in 6 months anyway.

Have to wait until the end of November for it to ship though, because I'm in the BB wave :(

ShaolinX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
It's wood. It's inconsistent. This is one of the big reasons we make ours from paper. The other? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR9-xMpWaOU

As far as the warranty, of course a plastic case manufacturer can offer a lifetime warranty. Those things drop off a conveyor belt, with little to no human interaction. A case like ours goes through many steps of hand work. Nature of the product. Also, if you read Moshi's warranty, you'll see quite a few exceptions. I wouldn't be surprised if they never replaced anything with how that's worded. :)

A warranty should be protection against manufacturing defects, not a eternal replacement guarantee. If you want that, expect to pay extra for it.

I'd just like to add an unofficial endorsement of the Twigcase guys (unofficial because I don't have a case in hand from them yet) but Jon, whom I've spoken with several times through private message here, has been prompt, honest and informative with my requests for further info. I'll be going with them, myself = )

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
I have "drum gardens" ordered.
Y category here ships 11/23 2 weeks delivery and 2 weeks sitting in custums I'll have it for x-mass :(
Scratch that nobody works on x-mass ill have it on february because come on

aCuria

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011

It's rather unfair to slam moshi without having actually dealt with them....

Grove charges the extra already, at least 4x more. This would be less of an issue if they did not do such a bad job the last time.

Many users reported here that the cases fell apart by themselves over time, and the replacement cases fell apart too. That's a design/manufacturing defect in my book, and the customer pays the price for the bad design.

That said, I really want this case to succeed, it really is rather beautiful.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
It's rather unfair to slam moshi without having actually dealt with them....

Grove charges the extra already, at least 4x more. This would be less of an issue if they did not do such a bad job the last time.

Many users reported here that the cases fell apart by themselves over time, and the replacement cases fell apart too. That's a design/manufacturing defect in my book, and the customer pays the price for the bad design.

That said, I really want this case to succeed, it really is rather beautiful.

Not slamming Moshi or Grove. Never owned a Moshi case. It's just the realities of two different cases. A plastic one is not in the same league as a (nice) bamboo case as far as labor and manufacturing is concerned - which directly equals replacement cost to a manufacturer honoring its warranty.

The 'design defect' is asking wood or bamboo to do a job it just isn't suited for. We have a whole bin of busted cases from bamboo and wood case makers. That got expensive, then ridiculous. That's why Twig Case Co. is here - it's the reason we started back in 2011.

Our case is Richlite - layered paper, which makes it durable and stronger than any other natural material case out there - since 2011. Grove even took note of it; they bought one. A while ago.:cool:

And thank you, ShaolinX! We do what we can to make the best stuff, that doesn't break :)

daitalianjob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I'm debating whether I should order the plain case and just get my name engraved in the side or order one of the preset designs...I do like the drum garden one because it somehow reminds me of the Ents from LOTR haha, but it would like nice just having my name on the side of the plain one too. Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.