Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all,

I've got an old 5th gen ipod (the first video ipod). It's 60 gigs and is on its last legs. The battery wont hold a charge and the screen is full of dead pixels. Instead of pitching it, I was thinking of trying to improve it a bit and give it some more life. I'll probably throw a new screen and battery in it as they are relatively cheap.

However, I'm thinking that I'd like to upgrade the storage. So.. 1) Are there places to buy appropriately sized hard drives? and 2) Might it even be possible to replace the hard drive with an SDHC card, or even a couple to really up the storage?

-jon

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Being at school, I can't give you any links, but I know there are places where you can buy a adapter that will replace the internal HDD with a Compact Flash card -- However the cost of CF cards is pretty prohibitive after you get past 32gb. On the flip side using a CF would in theory save lots and lots for battery juice!

For the battery I recommend iFixit, all the way. I just bought one for my 4th Gen iPod and it is lasting really well so far.

brsedu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I have had great luck with Rapid Repair. They have a number of different hard drive capacities, including 240GB that will fit in the iPod video. They also offer battery and screen replacement. I had a pristine (on the outside) white 5th generation iPod video that eventually had battery issues so I sent it in for battery replacement, and decided on the 240GB HDD upgrade. They don't offer other storage options than HDD, but their work is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.