Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanderer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I have three different model numbers for our 64gb iPhone 5.

One iphone has MD654LL (White 64gb AT&T) From Best Buy, Bought yesterday from Pe-order.
One iphone has MD647LL (White 64gb AT&T) From AT&T Local Store on 1st Day - Walk-in.
One iphone has a model number MD645LL (Black 64gb AT&T) from AT&T Store 1st day walk in. This one I understand woould be different because of color.

Why do the two white iPhone 5's have different numbers? :confused:

Thanks,

Wanderer

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I don't think anyone currently knows.

It could be a multitude of reasons. For instance, in Europe the French iPhone is exactly identical in hardware to iPhones sold in other countries, but its model number* is different so the phone knows to apply a volume limiter (which is required by law there.)

It could be something like that, or that it uses components from a different manufacturer (like the screen or the flash memory.)

*) Actually the country code appended to the model number

Wanderer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
i thought it might be a country designator. I'll keep checking here. Some one may know.

Thanks

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
The country code is the part at the end. In your case, it's LL. My model number is MD298DN, where DN is the country code.

Wanderer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Thanks CyBeRino.

Now if someone else can decode te rest of the number.
I think it is going to be a factory code of some kind. Mine is the only one I have seen with the 647 code so far and we have compared several here at work.

Thx :D

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
the European iP5 uses the identical hardware as the Sprint and Verizon models. Provisioning software is different.
The ATT model is specific to ATT only and will only be sold for that as well as the minor US carriers

malc34

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
My (UK) replacement's (iPhone 5, 16GB, black) model number is ND297. :confused:
Googling that model number brings up 0 results, only results for MD297 (which corresponds to the 16GB black version). Can anyone shed some light on this?

Edit: and the back of the original phone's box says MD297, too.

I'm guessing this is because it's a replacement? The Genius told me it was't refurbished because it's too soon for there to be any refurbs.

Nevermind, I just saw this post. I really should do a proper search before posting...

Last edited:

helluin

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
To add a little more confusion to the mix...

White iPhone 5, 64GB, purchased from AT&T store: MD647LL/A
White iPhone 5, 64GB, replacement, from Apple store: MD645LL/A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.