Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guydor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Hi,

I have m4v movie file named for example:
movie.m4v

After I import this file into iTunes the file name is being changed to:
movie (HD).m4v

What can be the reason for that?
Why does iTunes change my movie files?

Thanks!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hi,

I have m4v movie file named for example:
movie.m4v

After I import this file into iTunes the file name is being changed to:
movie (HD).m4v

What can be the reason for that?
Why does iTunes change my movie files?

Thanks!
Is it the actual file name (as it appears in the "Where" file path under Get Info) that has changed, or the movie name as it appears under "Name" in iTunes library view?

guydor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Is it the actual file name (as it appears in the "Where" file path under Get Info) that has changed, or the movie name as it appears under "Name" in iTunes library view?

It's the actual file name, how it appears inside the iTunes library folder

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's the actual file name, how it appears inside the iTunes library folder
In iTunes > Preferences > Advanced if the boxes below are checked, iTunes makes a copy of anything you import and names it according to its own naming convention.
attachment.php
It's not renaming the original file.

guydor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
In iTunes > Preferences > Advanced if the boxes below are checked, iTunes makes a copy of anything you import and names it according to its own naming convention.
attachment.php
It's not renaming the original file.

Thanks

I do need these 2 options checked, is it possible to change the file "base name"?
If iTunes changes the file name, from where it take this name?

Cinephi1e

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Northwest Ohio
If you check the HD tag (either 720p or 1080p) in the movie, then yes the file will be renamed when you move it into iTunes. If you don't want this to happen then leave the tag as SD.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks

I do need these 2 options checked, is it possible to change the file "base name"?
If iTunes changes the file name, from where it take this name?
I'm not sure about movies, but with music, iTunes creates the name from the tags. I don't let iTunes manage my files, but if I recall correctly, it creates a folder named with the Artist or Album name, then names each track with the track number followed by the song name. I assume it uses a similar method in naming movies.

You may be able to go to the iTunes-created file and manually rename the file. I prefer to manage my own file/folder structure, as it has taken many years to develop my library and I don't want iTunes screwing it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.