Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
Last week I lost my iPhoto library and the Time Machine drive that I backed up the library. The two problems were independent from each other and the drive that I use for Time Machine died just before I recover the iPhoto library, as a result of a power failure.

Since then, I tried everything that I could think of, but the Disk Utility couldn’t repair the external hard drive. It basically doesn’t recognize it as formatted for Mac. After a few attempts to verify and repair the disk, it started showing it as non-active (HD name as light grey and no name for a partition), so that it doesn’t even let me try to repair it any more. I can’t copy it to another external HD using Disk Utility nor can I see it in Finder.

Since the problem started as a result of a power failure, I feel like it may be limited to the enclosure’s chip and the actual HDD may still be okay. It’s a WD Elements desktop drive that doesn’t have any screws or air intakes. It doesn’t seem like there is a way to get the HD out without breaking the enclosure. That’s why I want to keep this option as the last.

I know that the real disk repair utility fsck_hfs may actually fix the problem, but I don’t know how to use it. I don’t have much experience on using the terminal, so unless I find the necessary codes to copy and paste, I’ll have no luck on finding my way through it.

After reading all of these, does anyone think that I can save my Time Machine backup? What do you think I should do? Can anyone help me with fsck_hfs?

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.