Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

I wanted to update to iPhone 5 but the $600 fee for off-contract purchase was too high(also considering all the accessories like cases/chargers/docks). I can get update for $299 next May.

My Applecare first year of coverage expires on Oct. 14, 2012 which is when it was delivered by Fedex(is this true, it shipped on Oct. 7, 2011 and I received it Oct. 14, 2012).

Should I add a year of Applecare or not? What do you think? Do you have a 2nd year on your Applecare?

Thanks. I have protective cases and take care of it. Did yours fail after first year?

Oofie

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I thought that starting with the 4s, they only offered AppleCare+ which can only be bought 30 days after your purchase. :confused:

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I would say it's not worth it at this point. You would have to deal with calling up Apple to sell the original Applecare that doesn't exist anymore. They have done it in some cases. You can just get a new(refurb) phone for $199 if anyhting goes wrong.

Obviously the Applecare+ is not an option.

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Hi,

I wanted to update to iPhone 5 but the $600 fee for off-contract purchase was too high(also considering all the accessories like cases/chargers/docks). I can get update for $299 next May.

My Applecare first year of coverage expires on Oct. 14, 2012 which is when it was delivered by Fedex(is this true, it shipped on Oct. 7, 2011 and I received it Oct. 14, 2012).

Should I add a year of Applecare or not? What do you think? Do you have a 2nd year on your Applecare?

Thanks. I have protective cases and take care of it. Did yours fail after first year?

You cannot add apple care +, but you can add apple care. I was able to get it for $40 off ebay. The cheapest i have found since then is amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-for...TF8&qid=1349725951&sr=8-3&keywords=apple+care

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
I got screwed on Applecare+ because I didn't get it when I preordered the 4s. Went to the applestore days after receiving it for a case and asked one of the blue shirts about Applecare+ and he said that you can't get it if you didn't add it during preorder.

Turns out you had a week, right?

I would say it's not worth it at this point. You would have to deal with calling up Apple to sell the original Applecare that doesn't exist anymore. They have done it in some cases. You can just get a new(refurb) phone for $199 if anyhting goes wrong.

Obviously the Applecare+ is not an option.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I got screwed on Applecare+ because I didn't get it when I preordered the 4s. Went to the applestore days after receiving it for a case and asked one of the blue shirts about Applecare+ and he said that you can't get it if you didn't add it during preorder.

Turns out you had a week, right?

You have 30 days to buy Applecare+. I bought a 4S at Applestore, tried it for 10 days to make sure it was worth keeping, then went to the Apple Store and the Genius inspected and tested the phone and I bought the Applecare+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.