Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MR_Boogy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I got a DisplayPort->HDMI cable so I can use my TV as a 2nd monitor and it's great, except it is making close-lid functionality erratic. Sometimes it works as normal and the MacBook sleeps. Other times the MacBook carries on running as normal, windows are open/visible/running on the TV screen after the lid closes, even though the Apple logo on the lid is not lit up.

I really don't want to have to unplug the TV and replug it every time, so can anyone suggest a fix?

It's a late 2008 aluminium unibody MacBook which I did a clean 10.8 install on.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Closed lid...

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it may depend if your MB is plugged into AC power or not, as to whether it keeps running when you close the lid with an external monitor connected. I know this is the case when using the Thunderbolt port on the MBP to connect to an external Thunderbolt Display, but I'm not sure that the Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter behaves the same way on a MB.

In any case, you don't mention whether your MB is plugged into power or not, so if it sometimes is and sometimes is not, then does this correspond to the times that closing the lid does not sleep the MB versus the times that it does sleep the computer?

Since running the external monitor with the lid closed on a MacBook is considered a feature and not a bug (called clamshell mode, I believe), then a "fix" would be to manually "sleep" the computer using the Sleep function on the Apple icon menu instead of closing the lid to sleep the machine.

Regards,
Switon

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
I got a DisplayPort->HDMI cable so I can use my TV as a 2nd monitor and it's great, except it is making close-lid functionality erratic. Sometimes it works as normal and the MacBook sleeps. Other times the MacBook carries on running as normal, windows are open/visible/running on the TV screen after the lid closes, even though the Apple logo on the lid is not lit up.

I really don't want to have to unplug the TV and replug it every time, so can anyone suggest a fix?

It's a late 2008 aluminium unibody MacBook which I did a clean 10.8 install on.

That's normal. Some people are using their MBP closed and connected to an external monitor.

As said by Switon, it's called the clamshell mode. If you want to put your MBP asleep, you have to do it manually or unplug it from the AC power.

MR_Boogy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
The Macbook is always plugged into AC power.

Thanks for the information; it sounds like the bug, if any, would be if it DOES sleep with the external display on.

I don't know much about HDMI/DisplayPort but should it make a difference if the TV is turned on, or simply that the cable is plugged into the MacBook?

If I close the lid and then turn the TV off, what should happen (it's hard to tell since the lid is shut!)
Equally, if I turn the TV to another source would the MacBook know that means it's not 'connected' any more?

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
If you turn the TV off it will change nothing.

But I think if you unplug the HDMi connector, the MBP will sleep.

mackatacka74

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Australia
Weird.

I don't know if this is worthy of being in the thread, but I feel the need to say it. I have a Mini DisplayPort to DVI connector. When I plug it into a TV and close it, the TV signal turns off and my MacBook Pro sleeps. I have a mid-2010 model with a clean Mountain Lion installation.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Guys, don't make this more complicated than it has to be by plugging/unplugging stuff at every use.

If your laptop is stationary and it's always plugged into the external monitor - put it to sleep by either:

1. Clicking the Apple icon in the top left corner, then choose sleep.
2. Tap your Power button, click sleep.

You can leave everything plugged in as is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.