Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
What, if any, of any Apple storage is used for Photostream? I have a MBP, iPad 3 and iPhone 5 and haven't really seen a need for the service. It has been nice on one or two occasions to see photos on my iPad. Any other uses you guys find for it?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
My iCloud is only set up for "Find My iPhone" and photostream.

Such a convenience having photos shot on the iP5 seamlessly show up on my iPad for editing.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
The best use for Photostream is having the iCloud agent installed on your computer. Love having every photo I take on any device automatically downloaded to all my computers. Never have to worry about losing any and can delete my camera roll to free up space whenever I want.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
The best use for Photostream is having the iCloud agent installed on your computer. Love having every photo I take on any device automatically downloaded to all my computers. Never have to worry about losing any and can delete my camera roll to free up space whenever I want.

Exactly. All photos I shoot are automatically downloaded and stored on my mbp.

Shared photostreams are great too. I have one for my gf so I can easily share photos with her and she has one setup for me so she can do the same. Never have to worry about finding that photo I emailed her months ago, or lost in text messages.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
So what, if any, is the main difference between photostream and dropbox? Both upload photos to other devices, right? Is there an advantage to photostream?

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The point is that it backs up your photos. If I go on vacation and I take hundreds of photos, as soon as I get home, my phone automatically connects to WiFi and automatically downloads all those pics into iPhoto on my MacBook. Now if I lose my phone the next day I don't have to worry about losing all my vacation pics as well.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Are there any negatives to using Photostream as far as security goes? I thought I saw a thread where someone saying their icloud account got hacked and someone erased all their photos. Is it better to just leave it OFF to prevent this from happening? I backup a couple times a week so I'm fine with just leaving it off.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I use it a lot. As other's have mentioned, it's great that photos taken with my iPhone appear on my iPad,PC and Mac.

I also like that I can drop photos into the upload folder on my PC and they appear on my iOS devices. Just another thing to avoid having to use iTunes for.

Shared Photostream is great, except it's missing a critical feature... allowing permissions to be assigned to each member, so that others can add into it too if you wish.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Are there any negatives to using Photostream as far as security goes? I thought I saw a thread where someone saying their icloud account got hacked and someone erased all their photos. Is it better to just leave it OFF to prevent this from happening? I backup a couple times a week so I'm fine with just leaving it off.

Photostream isn't a permanent storage mechanism (I believe photos are only stored for 30 days). Its more a transfer mechanism.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010

I believe the hacker for the password from Apple phone support. Apple has since then closed that loophole, so you will be ok if you have a strong password.

The upload folder on photostream is also a great feature. If I see a pic I wanna send to someone, I just save it in the upload folder of my computer. The pic will then instantaneously be on my iPhone.

RipeRetina

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Maryland

From my experience using photostream, it doesn't matter where the 'icloud agent' is installed. When you delete the photo from camera roll & photostream, it'll delete on any device that uses photostream. Thats been my experience anyways.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Never use it. I don't want the pics my wife shoots on my devices and vice versa. Also I don't need to keep many of the pics I shoot. They are for temporary use. Not to mention it can be a data hog.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Never use it. I don't want the pics my wife shoots on my devices and vice versa. Also I don't need to keep many of the pics I shoot. They are for temporary use. Not to mention it can be a data hog.

well most people do not share accounts, and you have to be connected to wifi for them to transfer so not really a data hog

sd13

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Does anybody know what the limit is on shared photostream? I know that regular photostream holds up to a thousand photos for 30 days. Does the shared one have a day/space limit?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I love Photostream. Not only do the photos get saved into my Aperture library (or iPhoto), it sorts them by month. No other photo syncing service will automatically put the photos into my library and divide them up by month and label the album with the month's name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.