Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkkInNj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Hello all.

I am trading an iPhone 4s from att to verizon from some dude.. He states that the iPhone is unlocked and he's using gevey.. Don't know anything about the gevey stuff.. Should I be concerned? I am meeting him at apple to make sure both phones are okay and clean esns.. Because I do not want to get a bad one.. Any advice!? Thanks!

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hello all.

I am trading an iPhone 4s from att to verizon from some dude.. He states that the iPhone is unlocked and he's using gevey.. Don't know anything about the gevey stuff.. Should I be concerned? I am meeting him at apple to make sure both phones are okay and clean esns.. Because I do not want to get a bad one.. Any advice!? Thanks!

DO NOT trade your AT&T 4S for a Gevey unlocked 4S. The Gevey unlock is unreliable and sloppy. Just go on eBay and pay one of the iPhone unlock sellers like $15 to get your AT&T 4S factory unlocked. It's easier, reliable, and permanent. Plus you will always be able to update and/or restore your phone without having to worry about it locking itself back up again. The Gevey is nothing but problems. I've known people who used them for a while and then after a week or so randomly get booted to the 'activation required' screen and are stuck with an expensive iPod Touch.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
So, you think Verizon is going to be better than ATT?

You really should read some postings here and save yourself lots of headaches, etc.

What about your contract?

What about your phone number?

What about unlimited?

m0no

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
I'd listen to the advice you've been given so far. I wouldn't do it.

MarkkInNj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks guys.. I did NOT trade.. lol I don't even want an unlocked phone. Just a standard iPhone! I can do everything myself if I wanted it..

And as for verizon vs ATT.. I don't have much option. Parents switched so I had to too.. I ended up just selling the phone and taking the cash. Work at BestBuy and getting a good deal on a iPhone.. So I'll just take a new one! Thanks for the advice guys!

----------

DO NOT trade your AT&T 4S for a Gevey unlocked 4S. The Gevey unlock is unreliable and sloppy. Just go on eBay and pay one of the iPhone unlock sellers like $15 to get your AT&T 4S factory unlocked. It's easier, reliable, and permanent. Plus you will always be able to update and/or restore your phone without having to worry about it locking itself back up again. The Gevey is nothing but problems. I've known people who used them for a while and then after a week or so randomly get booted to the 'activation required' screen and are stuck with an expensive iPod Touch.

I didn't want an unlocked one. Just looking for a verizon one! But decided against it.. From this thread, the research and the guy being, well.. effing annoying (which raised flags as well), got better judgement. Just thought I'd ask on here! Thanks for the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.