Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
My brother accidentally left his 2011 MacBook Pro 13" on the back of his car and drove off. Long story short it is gone and nowhere to be found (been monitoring Find My iPhone for 3 days and nothing pops up). So My Dad has his old black MacBook still lying around and my brother needs a computer to get by with for work until he can find another good deal for a MacBook Pro or Air on Craigslist.

So my question is, does anyone know if I can use migration assistant to restore the backup information from the MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion to the black MacBook if I upgrade it to Lion? I have a good feeling that Snow Leopard may not work doing this or much of the information may not come over from the backup but I am hoping that if I upgrade it to Lion it may work. I know Lion is no longer available in the App Store but I have heard they will still sell it to you if you call them up and pay for it over the phone and they give you an app store redemption code. So if this is true I will be going that route.

So anyone know if the Mountain Lion backup will restore back to a MacBook running Lion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.