Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:03 PM   #26
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

reference video
obeygiant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:06 PM   #27
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Is there any place to see this? The Red bull site doesn't have it up.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:13 PM   #28
ThE.MeSsEnGeR
macrumors 6502a

And I thought I was so badass for jumping a 300 ft bungee jump last summer
ThE.MeSsEnGeR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:30 PM   #29
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Is there any place to see this? The Red bull site doesn't have it up.
Viola.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu...s-replay_sport
iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:08 AM   #30
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Here is a view from his chest camera, pointing towards his helmet. The initial jump from the platform is neat to watch but I think this view shows just how high up he was the best.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fa1_1350274678
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:12 AM   #31
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
The initial jump from the platform is neat to watch but I think this view shows just how high up he was the best.
Too bad about the fish-eye lens. He was only 24 miles high, not in orbit.
iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:14 AM   #32
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
Here is a view from his chest camera, pointing towards his helmet. The initial jump from the platform is neat to watch but I think this view shows just how high up he was the best.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fa1_1350274678

Yeah that just made me a little dizzy, thanks. Amazing view btw.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:19 AM   #33
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
This is freaking awesome!
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:36 AM   #34
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Too bad about the fish-eye lens. He was only 24 miles high, not in orbit.
Very true. I do concede the fisheye lens makes it look like he was higher up. But he could still see quite far regardless.

Now I gotta go buy me an astronaut costume at Target so I can be next in line to do the jump!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:10 PM   #35
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Why thank you!!!!

Ok, that is pretty bad ass. The first step..... Good god!

Last edited by rhett7660; Oct 15, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
rhett7660 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:23 PM   #36
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerz View Post
A marketing stunt is all it is, certainly. But who cares, it's so cool! I didn't get to watch Kittinger make his jump, but now, along with 6.5 million other people, I'm streaming this jump live on YouTube!
A stunt yes. But NASA said they could make a new type if high altitude space suit from this.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:32 PM   #37
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Watched it live on YouTube. Very brave man. I'd be s**tting bricks at that height.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:27 PM   #38
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Watched it live on YouTube. Very brave man. I'd be s**tting bricks at that height.
You and a lot of other people.....
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:56 PM   #39
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Forget the sound barrier, Felix traveled faster than the speed of light! OMG!

Thumb resize.
obeygiant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:33 AM   #40
weckart
macrumors 68020

Hmm. I thought the consensus was that he didn't break the sound barrier given that his top velocity was about 40m/h below needed at the altitude he was when he reached it before slowing down again.

Bless those scientists at MSNBC, though
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:48 AM   #41
joemod
macrumors regular

I found amazing and inspiring that the previous record holder, Joseph Kittinger was his earth contact. Even more the way Kittinger was speaking to him. Encouraging and soothing.
joemod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:22 PM   #42
wacomme
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
I love it!!!!!
wacomme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:34 PM   #43
dmr727
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemod View Post
I found amazing and inspiring that the previous record holder, Joseph Kittinger was his earth contact. Even more the way Kittinger was speaking to him. Encouraging and soothing.
Earlier in the year I was fortunate enough to have a few drinks with Kittinger and talk to him about both his jump and this record attempt. Very nice guy, and it was nice to see him be enthusiastic about passing the torch onto someone new.
dmr727 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:40 PM   #44
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Why thank you!!!!

Ok, that is pretty bad ass. The first step..... Good god!
Apparently, he has no problems with heights. Jumps off tall things all the time. However, it seems Fearless Felix has serious problems being confined in a pressure-suit and/or small capsules. To the point that in 2010 he fled the US rather than submit to an endurance test that would have assessed his ability to sit in the suit and capsule long enough to be lifted to launch height.

He obviously got over this barrier, with the help of sports psychologists and others. One of those 'others' was - Kittinger. They had formed a friendship at that point, and Kittinger became the calming authority figure that Baumgartner needed keep his panic attack under control. All the way up to launch height Kittinger kept Baumgartner preoccupied by having him run through endless checklists. Most of the conversation was not broadcast because at point they had run into a small problem (the foggy visor, iirc) and Kittinger put their conversation into 'private' mode until just before the launch.

I wonder if Baumgartner would have gone up had Kittinger taken ill.

I think this actually makes Fearless Felix even braver. I believe that the measure of bravery is not that you are fearless, but that you have the strength to overcome your fears.

Still .... for all of that.... Kittinger's jump in 1960 needs to be kept in perspective. In 2012, there was very little that was going to surprise Baumgartner's team. Technical glitches was really the only worry. In 1960, people literally did not know what was going to happen when someone jumped out of an open gondola 19 miles above the earth.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr727 View Post
Earlier in the year I was fortunate enough to have a few drinks with Kittinger and talk to him about both his jump and this record attempt. Very nice guy, and it was nice to see him be enthusiastic about passing the torch onto someone new.
You are a very lucky person. Did you know anything about him at the time, or was it an education as you talked?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:11 PM   #45
dmr727
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
You are a very lucky person. Did you know anything about him at the time, or was it an education as you talked?
Now that you have me thinking about it, this was all a little over a year ago. But no, I had no idea at the time. It was at a small get-together of aviation folks, and one of the other guys pointed Kittinger out and told me to get him to tell me about his jump. That's where I first learned about it.

I was a guest that night, and I remember Kittinger constantly steering the conversation back to my aviation background. What exactly am I supposed to say to a guy like that? Anyway, it speaks to the kind of guy he is - he'd talk about his past if asked, but was more interested in learning about others.
dmr727 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:35 PM   #46
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr727 View Post
Now that you have me thinking about it, this was all a little over a year ago. But no, I had no idea at the time. It was at a small get-together of aviation folks, and one of the other guys pointed Kittinger out and told me to get him to tell me about his jump. That's where I first learned about it.

I was a guest that night, and I remember Kittinger constantly steering the conversation back to my aviation background. What exactly am I supposed to say to a guy like that? Anyway, it speaks to the kind of guy he is - he'd talk about his past if asked, but was more interested in learning about others.
I am very jealous. What a special moment for you.... cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:59 PM   #47
stridemat

Has anyone watched thre documentary? Had no idea some of the problems they suffered from. Well worth a watch. For this UKers it's currently on the BBC iPlayer.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:44 PM   #48
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

That was pretty freaking amazing. Kudos to Mr. Baumgartner and everyone else who was involved with this project.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events