Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_box-150x271.jpg
BGR.in reports that Apple is planning to launch the iPhone 5 in India on October 26, moving rapidly to make the device available in one of the world's largest markets but one in which Apple has not yet gained significant traction.
Multiple sources have confirmed to us that Apple is preparing to launch the iPhone 5 in India on the last Friday of this month, which happens to be October 26. As we had exclusively reported earlier, Apple will be distributing the iPhone 5 in India on its own rather than relying on its carrier partners.

We expect the iPhone 5 to have a wider availability unlike the past where it was not available readily everywhere.
This report is not the first time an October 26 launch in Asia has been mentioned, as The Malay Mail reported last month that the iPhone 5 would be coming to Malaysia on that date, pending stock availability.
"If orders remain within projections made by Apple by Sept 30, the Oct 26 launch date in Malaysia together with several other countries will remain," noted an industry source.

"Should there be a shortfall in available supplies, the Malaysian launch date could get pushed to sometime in November."
Despite tight supplies, Apple has moved rapidly to launch the iPhone 5 in markets around the world, launching in nine countries on September 21 and following that with debuts in 22 more countries just one week later. Apple has announced that it intends to make the iPhone 5 available in at least 100 countries by the end of the year.

Article Link: Next Round of iPhone 5 Launches Coming October 26 with India and Malaysia?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
very expensive

glad apple is directly bringing it to India

but full priced iPhone 5 way expensive over there and too much currency conversion also - similar to UK pricing.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Looks like I have a long wait ahead of me, wanting to walk into a store that contains sufficient stock and to buy one and walk out; preferably a phone that was't rushed out at Foxconn.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
At first I didn't think it was an improvement on the 4S but having had it for a couple of weeks now, I wouldn't go back. And I loved the 4S

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Great, maybe the waiting list will be shorter there than it is here in California! Where do I sign up?

silversx

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
really? wtf are they going to launch.. they don't even have a phone to fulfill my order from almost 30 days ago... launch deeznutz apple..:mad:

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Same situation here....

I started a new job just after the iPhone 5 launched. They promised me they'd order me one since they were issuing all new employees iPhones as standard practice anyway. (I said why order me a 4s when the 5 is just coming out?)

Well, still waiting with no shipping date from AT&T in sight.... Meanwhile, other co-workers are walking around with their 5's they got just by walking into a local Apple store early enough in the morning. It's really kind of insulting. I mean, why bother with a pre-order if they won't even fulfill them while they sell more new phones to people off the street in the meantime?

really? wtf are they going to launch.. they don't even have a phone to fulfill my order from almost 30 days ago... launch deeznutz apple..:mad:

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Apple are do-gooders to sell their great products outside of the US, or even in some states.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Nah, now people all over the world can preorder-->money:)

i pre ordered my iphone 5 but then i finally cancelled it to get the new one x+. pre orders dont neccesarily = money. if the phone was sent to me within a week thats what i would be playing with right now and apple would have one more customer. its pointless opening up more regions if there is no region without a back order. phones in stock + order = money.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Looks like I have a long wait ahead of me, wanting to walk into a store that contains sufficient stock and to buy one and walk out; preferably a phone that was't rushed out at Foxconn.

I would like to see a statistic on how many iPhone's were released with defects/problems from each distributor. This could really put the "complaints" in perspective.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Hmm same time I am expecting my back/pre-order. Dont know if this is good, they are ramping up supplies and have plenty, or bad my order gets pushed because supplies are limited. :confused:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
if its going on back order like every other market why dont they just open it up to the world on launch day

prhammer

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Kleenex Box

This is kind of non-sequitor, but I've been noticing this since the iPhone 5 came out. I'm a big fan of Apple's packaging, but am I the only one who thinks that their iPhone 5 box looks like a box of Kleenex when you first glance at the image? The way they have the phone angled to show off it's slim design looks very similar in shape to the opening on a Kleenex box.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
At first I didn't think it was an improvement on the 4S but having had it for a couple of weeks now, I wouldn't go back. And I loved the 4S

I still have my 4S (locked in on contracts) but I wish I could upgrade. I'm incredibly surprised at the entire design of the 5 and how well it fits in the hand.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I started a new job just after the iPhone 5 launched. They promised me they'd order me one since they were issuing all new employees iPhones as standard practice anyway. (I said why order me a 4s when the 5 is just coming out?)

Well, still waiting with no shipping date from AT&T in sight.... Meanwhile, other co-workers are walking around with their 5's they got just by walking into a local Apple store early enough in the morning. It's really kind of insulting. I mean, why bother with a pre-order if they won't even fulfill them while they sell more new phones to people off the street in the meantime?

I agree. I am waiting and waiting for my pre-order through my company. It sucks that I have to wait while others I work with that are not on the company's plan have already received their iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.