Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
Hello!
The volume buttons on my iPhone 5 are loose, I can move them around a little and they make noises when I shake the phone... Is this a reason for replacing the phone? I know it's a detail but it really bothers me...

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Hello!
The volume buttons on my iPhone 5 are loose, I can move them around a little and they make noises when I shake the phone... Is this a reason for replacing the phone? I know it's a detail but it really bothers me...

Mine is the same. Noticed it about a week after I got it. Bothers me a little bit, but too lazy to swap it out.

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
I am going to the apple store today and see if the display models also have this "issue", if not I am going to ask genius if he could replace it...

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
This must be the 50th thread on this same subject!

Stop shaking your phone and it will not rattle.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
They should not be loose, if you can live with it keep it....if not, return it. Do you really have to ask? The only rattle should be from the camera lens.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
mine does it too... this is normal

You should go to the Apple store only if that causes any problem with adjusting the volume.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
If you hear them rattling then that is a problem. I did notice that they do have a little bit more play in them than the 4/4S volume buttons. My GF's phone does it too. It doesn't annoy me and I don't even notice anymore since it is in a case but do what you gotta do to satisfy the OCD...

robaroo

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello!

how does volume buttons that wiggle keep you from turning the volume up or down? do you return and exchange your laptop when your keyboard buttons start wiggling? lol

D-A-P

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
France and UK
Found a fix... if you are good in DIY !

You will need to open your iPhone 5s to be able to view the volume button contacts, and slide something (I used a tiny piece of paper :p) inside the gap that makes your volume keys jiggle....

You will need a pentalobular screwdriver :confused: (the one that was required to open the iPhone 5) and a suction cup :D (the kind that you stick on windows and mirror)... just follow the couple of steps on iFixIt website:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5s+Teardown/17383

It worked for me... you must not be scared of opening your iPhone, and be careful enough not to break any connection wires under the screen (read the above iFixIt link for more info)

Unfortunately, if it's the power button you want to fix, you wont be able to do it my way :( My power button jiggles a tiny bit, but it's hardly noticeable... when the iphone was opened I noticed there was no way to properly see the button and gain access to it :mad:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You will need to open your iPhone 5s to be able to view the volume button contacts, and slide something (I used a tiny piece of paper :p) inside the gap that makes your volume keys jiggle....
If the iPhone is under warranty/AppleCare, a person is better off going in to Apple for a warranty replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.