Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:53 AM   #76
topgunn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
It's not just a phone though. People sync dozens of gigabytes of apps, music, videos and photos to it. So yeah, USB 3 *would* help.
Except that the read speeds the iPhone's NAND memory is capable of doesn't even saturate USB 2.0 and the write speeds are a fraction of the read speeds.
topgunn is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:55 AM   #77
djphat2000
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
Can't they just come out with a charging cable for cheap? Does it need a chip for just charging? Might be a dumb question but I'd just like a "charging cable".

I don't need the functions of audio, data, etc for all my cables. I'd like to have one by my nightstand to charge, one by my work computer for charging one to toss in a bag for traveling, one in my car for charging, and one real one to use with all the bells and whistles for my home computer.
Would you really like to carry around multiple cables for different functions? Or just ONE cable that did everything? Think about it, it is Apple after all.
djphat2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:56 AM   #78
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502

I need that dock asap
InfinitiG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:57 AM   #79
I Am Designer™
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihonda View Post
sounds sketch, ill stick to my 6 lighting cables i already have, the connector is way to small to hold up the phone on the dock, your just asking for something to snap off.
It's the first thing I thought - that the new dock connector just doesn't seem like it would support the phone securely at that angle without it putting too much stress on the connector. The depth of the docking area would have to be deeper in order to add more support to the back of the phone.
I Am Designer™ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:58 AM   #80
FearlessFreep
macrumors 6502a

Ahhh ........ the smell of free enterprise.
FearlessFreep is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:58 AM   #81
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

Any alternative to Apple's horrendous pricing is a good thing.
CapnJackGig is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:02 PM   #82
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Apple forgot one accessory with the iPhone 5; lubrication. It's so sad to hear this crap that Apple is trying to pull. It should not cost $20 for a cable and $30 for adapters. I love the bidirectional nature of the plug but you should not have to get bent over for cables. Apple is the new Monster of cables.
cdmoore74 is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:03 PM   #83
urbanslaughter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Every reputable news source is reporting that the chips incorporated into these make the cost around 6-8 dollars. Liar.
Wow, I wish I could mark products up 400% in my business!
urbanslaughter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:03 PM   #84
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJackGig View Post
... except it's actually more expensive than Apple's cable (by 90 cents). I guess that extra change gets you pretty lights.

What we need is a cheaper Lightning-to-30-pin converter.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:04 PM   #85
flux73
macrumors 6502a

I'll let some braver souls than me play guinea pig for awhile before I take the plunge.
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:04 PM   #86
George.D
macrumors newbie

Steve would not have allowed this mess

Apple is behaving like a half a$$ed company.

Putting a new product on the market, in this case, the iPhone 5,
with a new connector that one can't get and new software capabilities (mapping) that don't work well- Siri still doesn't work well for me when I try to get it to text via my iPhone 4S and the video podcasts do not allow me to get all of the podcast on the phone's screen when I rotate the phone 90 degrees (put it on its side). Apple is becoming a place with "half-baked"/crappy products.

I am going to wait 'til a new product has been on the market for a generation or two before I spend my money on it. I have lost faith in Apple.
George.D is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:05 PM   #87
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Greedy Apple will no doubt put a stop to this. Expect more lawsuits against theses companies. Remember that Apple spent more on patents than innovation.
cdmoore74 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:08 PM   #88
FearlessFreep
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunn View Post
Except that the read speeds the iPhone's NAND memory is capable of doesn't even saturate USB 2.0 and the write speeds are a fraction of the read speeds.
"So, when do you think we're gonna get that USB 3.0 thing .... In the next one?"
FearlessFreep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:09 PM   #89
djphat2000
macrumors regular

The port on the Lighting end of the cable seems fairly thick (Apple original that is). I don't see why it couldn't support the iPhone 5 phone. I even held it in my hand "Free air" style and just held the bottom of the plug (white area). Gave it a slight tilt, and it doesn't seem to be heavy enough to cause any stress to the port. Which could break it.

So, just a cheap test, seems like it would be an ok port to use for docking.
djphat2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:11 PM   #90
Virtualball
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
eBay keeps killing the auctions for any Lightning cables that aren't Apple original.
Because they're fake. Ebay's most likely protecting its users. Hopefully real knock offs will come soon, though.
Virtualball is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:12 PM   #91
tdar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessFreep View Post
Ahhh ........ the smell of free enterprise.
ahhhh..the smell of the race to the bottom. Here we see people cheering as foreign nationals skirt international law, ignore trademarks and patents, build inferior parts that they admit "crack" encryption, and may well fry your phone. If companies like Apple can not protect their innovation from this type of theft( and that is what it is) maybe they will decide that investing millions of $$ and hiring lots of people to innovate is not worthwhile and they'll stop and let us make do with what we have now. Then everyone loses.

----------

Quote:
How can there be "horrendous pricing" for a product that does not even exist?

Last edited by tdar; Oct 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
tdar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:14 PM   #92
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanslaughter View Post
Wow, I wish I could mark products up 400% in my business!
That's just for the chips they then have to build them into a cable package and deliver it, oh and pay for all the development and engineering that went into creating it in the first place. Still going to be a good markup but no where near 400%.
everything-i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:14 PM   #93
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

That was fast!
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:16 PM   #94
Virtualball
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.D View Post
Apple is behaving like a half a$$ed company.

Putting a new product on the market, in this case, the iPhone 5,
with a new connector that one can't get and new software capabilities (mapping) that don't work well- Siri still doesn't work well for me when I try to get it to text via my iPhone 4S and the video podcasts do not allow me to get all of the podcast on the phone's screen when I rotate the phone 90 degrees (put it on its side). Apple is becoming a place with "half-baked"/crappy products.

I am going to wait 'til a new product has been on the market for a generation or two before I spend my money on it. I have lost faith in Apple.
Stop being dense. This new connector most likely had years of research behind it so obviously Steve knew about it. He died a year ago, it's not like things coming out now were thought of, planned, designed, and manufactured in 11 months.
Virtualball is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:20 PM   #95
tdar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
That's just for the chips they then have to build them into a cable package and deliver it, oh and pay for all the development and engineering that went into creating it in the first place. Still going to be a good markup but no where near 400%.
Oh come on....Stop making so much sense and just so everyone knows : their cracked encryption cable violates the US DMCA law and will not be allowed importation into the US.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:22 PM   #96
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vctr View Post
They make "docks" to display the iPhone 5 in their retail stores, do they not?
No, they are just a few bits of perspex glued together with the lightning cable pushed in through the bottom, not an actual dock, just a shop display stand.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:24 PM   #97
whitesand
macrumors regular

What's the point of that dock in the pictures ?

Just plug the connector into the iphone..
whitesand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:29 PM   #98
D.T.
macrumors 68030

The simple (and obvious) solution is for Apple to open the specs/licensing/components out to 3rd parties, not just "premium" partners, but anyone who's willing to pay a _reasonable_ amount.

As long as it's "certified", no worries, and we'll get the same low/moderate/high costs like any other peripheral. People who want to stay OEM can pay $20 for a cable, people who don't can pay $X.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:30 PM   #99
ihonda
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
Assuming the first was included with the device, you spent $100 on 5 extra cables. And you think this is sketch? Wow...
you know what happens when you assume right? i didnt pay for ANY of the cables, they were compliments of apple.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:30 PM   #100
PeterQVenkman
macrumors 68020

it will match my car from the Fast and the Furious
PeterQVenkman is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion