Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:30 PM   #101
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihonda View Post
you know what happens when you assume right? i didnt pay for ANY of the cables, they were compliments of apple.
Doubt it.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:32 PM   #102
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessFreep View Post
"So, when do you think we're gonna get that USB 3.0 thing .... In the next one?"
When its actually needed. Why upgrade to USB 3.0 if the read/write speeds on the phone don't even match the top read/write speeds of USB 2.0?
dkersten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:33 PM   #103
danbridgland
macrumors newbie

I've already had one official Apple Lightning cable die on me. Perfect condition on the outside, as you would expect for a two week old cable, but it's completly dead. I'm not alone, mac forums are full of similar issues.

What kind of warranty do you get from these guys? I'm not buying for that very reason!
danbridgland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:38 PM   #104
bryanescuela
macrumors regular

Good...

Good for the "crackers"...
bryanescuela is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:44 PM   #105
ihonda
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Doubt it.
lol doubt all you want. i have zero reason to lie on a forum about comp'd cables.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:44 PM   #106
Daremo
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
And what's the chance Apple will make a change in an update that will render these 3rd party "hacked" items useless...
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:44 PM   #107
Shade12
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post
cannot blame these knock offs apple is greedy!
I like apple but you are right greedy idk for what money they made is more than us government has. 😕
Shade12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:45 PM   #108
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphat2000 View Post
Your not forced to buy it!
Duh?

How does this have any bearing on whether a product sucks or not?
zorinlynx is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:47 PM   #109
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
I trusted third party cables with the 30 pin standard because the 30 pin standard didn't have any smarts in the cable. The 30 pin connector had pins such as GND, +5V, USB + and -, analog audio L and R, etc. Even the most incompetent company in the world would have a hard time ****ing up a cable.

But with the new Lightning standard I'm going to have a hard time trusting third party cables. An implementation error could mean a fried phone or unreliable operation. It'll be interesting to hear reports from those braver than I trying this stuff on their phones.

Maybe in a year or so when third party accessories are perfected I'll consider it. But definitely not now.
Actually good assessment.

I was thinking the chip was initially used to make the lightning connector work properly. I have seen other chips embedded in connectors before, such as my HDMI cable. As the repor does verify it.

But I could see the need for such an authentication chip if faulty cheap connectors could actually fry the iPhone as it uses adaptive technology and the power pins are not preset but change according to device.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:47 PM   #110
Shade12
macrumors regular

Will the new iPhone 5 cable connect to my car stero ? Help guys
Shade12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:50 PM   #111
janstett
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade12 View Post
Will the new iPhone 5 cable connect to my car stero ? Help guys
I rely heavily on my iPhones for in-car... Still waiting to see what the 30-pin-to-lightning adapters will do. Let alone what's happening or not happening with car docks.

I'm starting to think bluetooth and a charging cable is the best future-proofing. Thanks Apple.
janstett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:50 PM   #112
ppdix
macrumors 6502

Awesome!

That's what Apple gets for being so close minded.
A dock is a must... I miss my iPhone 4S already...
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:50 PM   #113
nies
macrumors 6502

So there website is already shut down??
nies is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:54 PM   #114
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
eBay keeps killing the auctions for any Lightning cables that aren't Apple original.
Probably because they keep using Apple's copywrighted images.
Every knockoff auction I've seen uses the offical Apple images and then says it's a pre-order.
If they waited until they had the actual knockoff in hand and then used a picture of the actual knockoff I doubt that there'd be any grounds for killing the auction.
Until then it's false-advertising pure and simple.
Gjwilly is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:56 PM   #115
wesk702
macrumors 65816

God bless Amer... err... China?
wesk702 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:56 PM   #116
TsunamiTheClown
macrumors 6502a

Can that cable double as a necklace? it is over-the-top awesomesauce.

I love how it contrasts with the _spare_ apple design. Rock On!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:56 PM   #117
needfx
macrumors 68030

...must...have, without the lights, and need to get an iP5 first

Last edited by needfx; Oct 9, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:57 PM   #118
snowcrash
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphat2000 View Post
Would you really like to carry around multiple cables for different functions? Or just ONE cable that did everything? Think about it, it is Apple after all.
That's the thing. I don't carry the cables around. I put them in one place and that's right where they stay. One by the bed, one in the car, one at desk and so on. Right now I have a cable I have to carry around everywhere because I only have one. I'd rather just have some basic charging cables and not worry about data, pin switching and all that stuff when a majority of the time I'm just charging my phone. Give me five 6' charging cables and one real apple cable and I'll be perfectly happy.

Yeah would be great if they were all the same but if this chip thing is that big of a deal can't they just bypass it for charging only is more of what I'm asking.
snowcrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:03 PM   #119
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrinkma View Post
Part of the 'smarts' involved *has* to be on the connector end. If all the 'smarts' are on the phone, how can the phone tell how it needs to configure it's pins?
Seriously ? The same way if the smarts in the cable...
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:13 PM   #120
tbrinkma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanslaughter View Post
Wow, I wish I could mark products up 400% in my business!
The costs he mentioned are the estimated *wholesale* cost of a cable with the requisite chip. Also, for low-cost, high volume items (like cables) the mark-up is typically *more* than 400%. (And I'm not even talking about the ones at the low end of absurd like Monster.)

That power cable you bought for your desktop because you lost or damaged the original one? It cost you about $6 in a retail shop. It cost the shop about $1. Why? Because they have to keep a relatively large stock of them, and on an item-by-item basis, they contribute virtually no income to the store.

A 'typical' mark-up for a small business, such as a coffee shop, is about 100%. At that rate, they can (with luck) pay their employees, their rent, and other fixed costs and have about 10% left over as profit. Larger businesses tend to have roughly the same mark-up, but can get lower prices from their suppliers due to volume.

Face it though. A $20 charging cable isn't even remotely unusual at retail, unless it's from a 'generic' or 'store' brand and the quality between those various brands can (and does) vary quite a bit.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:15 PM   #121
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
Apple wants to hold off device makers from incorporating this into devices so they can sell a load of $25 "adpaters" that cost 2 cents to make
They sell them for 30 and 40 dollars... :-\

10 dollars for an added 8 inches of USB cable...

Last edited by MrXiro; Oct 9, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:16 PM   #122
840quadra

I am not exactly thrilled about docking my phone with such a tiny little port being the only thing holding the phone vertical. I do like having a Dock option, however this looks a bit too fragile.

I have had my universal dock survive some considerable accidental bumps over the years, I could easily see this lightning connector break off inside a phone in those cases, possibly damaging the phone at the same time.
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:16 PM   #123
jrbdmb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
That's the thing. I don't carry the cables around. I put them in one place and that's right where they stay. One by the bed, one in the car, one at desk and so on. Right now I have a cable I have to carry around everywhere because I only have one. I'd rather just have some basic charging cables and not worry about data, pin switching and all that stuff when a majority of the time I'm just charging my phone. Give me five 6' charging cables and one real apple cable and I'll be perfectly happy.

Yeah would be great if they were all the same but if this chip thing is that big of a deal can't they just bypass it for charging only is more of what I'm asking.
Bingo. I want a standard length cable or two for home, a short cable for the car, and a longer cable for at work where the 3' cable is too short. And I'd like them all in black to match my black iPhone.

Unfortunately, Apple only offers a single length cable in white. Based on history they will offer no other choices, and they are apparently in no hurry to let 3rd parties make official "made for iPhone" cables.
jrbdmb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:18 PM   #124
brettizzle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy69 View Post
$19.90 for one or both for $39.90? I'm pretty sure 2x$19.90 is $39.80.
My thought exactly haha
brettizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:22 PM   #125
tbrinkma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Seriously ? The same way if the smarts in the cable...
Ok, let's play for a moment.
I've got a charging/syncing cable that needs USB protocol over it.
I've got a dock device which provides power but wants digital audio/video signals.

If there's no chip ('smarts') in the cable or dock connector, how does the phone tell the difference between 1 lightning connector and the next? Remember, the phone can't *see* the dock or cable, it can only tell what's at the other end of the connector if something can tell *it*.

With USB devices, the pin-out is fixed, so they can negotiate the details (speed/power) over a predetermined configuration. With Lightning, the pin-out is dynamic, so any of those 8 pins could potentially be signal, power-in, or power-out as needed by a specific device.

This adds complexity (see the chip in the cable), but provides flexibility.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion