Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage11.png
Last week, EA released the first gameplay video of the new SimCity. Today, the Maxis team is running a live webcast showing new gameplay and the first live demo of SimCity.

The video will be available at origin.com/maxis-live after the event is completed as well.
This virtual event will be packed full of announcements and will feature live software demos including the first live-streamed gameplay demo from the award-winning SimCity PC/Mac game.

Additionally, viewers will find out ways to get their hands on exciting giveaways and hear straight from the folks who create the games during special developer roundtables hosted by players.

SimCity is expected to be released early next year for $59.99. System requirements include 2GHz dual-core Intel processor, 2GB of RAM, and a GeForce9400M or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better.

Article Link: EA Hosts Webcast Featuring Live Gameplay From New SimCity

Last edited by a moderator:

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
So they claim it isn't "simple", they just made the information more accessible but they removed some features like subways. The bus station looks neat though. They didn't really answer the disaster question (they have them but they didn't say anything about being able to rewind after you blow your city up or if you have to live with it...anyone know about this?). As far as the multiplayer it is nice that you can take over neighboring cities if the owner abandons it.

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Unless I'm missing it (I haven't had lunch yet), you didn't include the time of the webcast in the original post. Could you edit and add that in?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
So they claim it isn't "simple", they just made the information more accessible but they removed some features like subways. The bus station looks neat though. They didn't really answer the disaster question (they have them but they didn't say anything about being able to rewind after you blow your city up or if you have to live with it...anyone know about this?). As far as the multiplayer it is nice that you can take over neighboring cities if the owner abandons it.

I missed the video, but kinda sad if the subway is gone. Some things I miss from the SimCity 2000 days are the Arcologies & the waterfalls you can add. With the latter, I liked building dams as well. Kinda weird you can't add water to above sea level areas in the later games, especially considering the graphics power computers have had since SimCity 2000.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Nope, one will have to purchase it through Origin.

Well the Mac Game Store seems to have it http://www.macgamestore.com/product/2485/SimCity-Limited-Edition/

I think the Origin store is still Windows only for the time being (we're supposed to get a mac version right?)

I missed the video, but kinda sad if the subway is gone. Some things I miss from the SimCity 2000 days are the Arcologies & the waterfalls you can add. With the latter, I liked building dams as well. Kinda weird you can't add water to above sea level areas in the later games, especially considering the graphics power computers have had since SimCity 2000.

Terraforming is out. They explained that it shouldn't be as big a deal because roads can actually curve and do switchbacks. They want the terrain to be a puzzle and not have you just flatten everything. I can understand the change.

opq

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2004
Seems like people are quite upset on the Simcity.com EA forums... Mostly to do with the significance of omissions and features removed:

- Subways (there since SimCity 2000! How could they have removed such a key element to a big city?)
- Terraforming (can't make your own terrain)
- Zone density control
- Offline 'true single player' play
- Ability to save and reload from saves (all changes are committed live)

Even though "Maxis" is involved, I suppose without Will Wright, it's beginning to look more and more like SimCity Societies.

jwoair23

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
Seems like people are quite upset on the Simcity.com EA forums... Mostly to do with the significance of omissions and features removed:

- Subways (there since SimCity 2000! How could they have removed such a key element to a big city?)
- Terraforming (can't make your own terrain)
- Zone density control
- Offline 'true single player' play
- Ability to save and reload from saves (all changes are committed live)

Even though "Maxis" is involved, I suppose without Will Wright, it's beginning to look more and more like SimCity Societies.

It doesn't have zone density control? Whoa, now that really sucks.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
This video has all the production values of a public access television fund drive. Operators are standing by! I can't believe I watched this long enough to see people in costumes dancing on stage.

It's clear EA has microtransactioned The Sims up the ass. Yeesh. Let's hope they don't do the same with SimCity... I'm sure they will.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I would not be surprised if subways made a return for a subterranean expansion pack. This is EA: DLC everything.

I wonder if they'll do technology Era's as similar to the world city packs.
As you buy them (assuming there isn't going to be an option to win them) you plop one of the new items from the pack and your city starts to take on the look and feel of the pack. The screen shots do have a sort of 1920-1950 feel to me so far.

If that is the case would be good if they did pre-car eras as well as modern and future.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I wonder if they'll do technology Era's as similar to the world city packs.
As you buy them (assuming there isn't going to be an option to win them) you plop one of the new items from the pack and your city starts to take on the look and feel of the pack. The screen shots do have a sort of 1920-1950 feel to me so far.

If that is the case would be good if they did pre-car eras as well as modern and future.

Hm, good point. They have themes for cities in the current version so you can make them look certain ways. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a pack that had new art and a few new features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.