Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
On the top menu bar....on the right hand side I suddenly have a new symbol which I've never seen before, can figure out, and can't get rid of:confused::confused:

It's a small locked padlock with a cirle running around it that has an arrow at the 5 o'clock position.

Any ideas?

cheers :)

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Ah....ok. So how do you turn it on and off ?

With phone on

double click home button > scroll to the left once

All the way on the left next to volume control click the button with lock in it

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The way to lock or unlock is by using the multitasking feature. Double click on the home button to display the Apps. Then scroll as far left as you can go and you will find the screen lock/unlock. Press once to move from locked to unlocked.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Unlock your phone...Swipe to unlock

Double tap your home button...

Swipe to the Right (revealing the left)

click the padlock with arrow button

That toggles the orientation lock

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Bigger question, how did you orientation lock your iPhone in the first place without knowing about it?

Maybe someone took over his phone and did it without him knowing? :confused:

In fact, one of my friend who had a 4 when it first came out and recently just got a 5 asked me the exactly same question when he saw it on my 5 yesterday. I do surprise to see that many people didn't know about this function.. :eek:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Maybe someone took over his phone and did it without him knowing? :confused:

In fact, one of my friend who had a 4 when it first came out and recently just got a 5 asked me the exactly same question when he saw it on my 5 yesterday. I do surprise to see that many people didn't know about this function.. :eek:

I was thinking that but it seems odd someone would borrow one's phone for a brief second & feels free to mess with the settings (unless the OP's friend was playing a joke).

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
No mystery - I got to that screen without knowing how! Then couldn't find it again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.