Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:53 PM   #1
iQuit
macrumors 6502a

A few PC questions (Apache, anti-virus)

I want to setup a web server and I have heard about Apache for windows but was unable to find the download. Also how can I set it up? I have cable internet and a router and this is running XP. Also about viruses. I have Avast, I know if u have avast and AVG then they will interact badly with eachother and it isnt recommended....but Can I download the Computer Associates EZ Trust Antivirus and still have Avast installed? Or will they not work well together? thanks for the help.
iQuit is offline   0
Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2
clayj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuit
I want to setup a web server and I have heard about Apache for windows but was unable to find the download. Also how can I set it up? I have cable internet and a router and this is running XP. Also about viruses. I have Avast, I know if u have avast and AVG then they will interact badly with eachother and it isnt recommended....but Can I download the Computer Associates EZ Trust Antivirus and still have Avast installed? Or will they not work well together? thanks for the help.
I can tell you part of what you need to know... if you're going to host a web site from your home, you will need to do the following:

1. On your router, you will need to make sure to open the ports used by web sites (usually just ports 80 and 443) and make sure that traffic on those ports is routed to the machine that will be hosting the web site.

2. You will need to sign up with a service like DynDNS.org to make sure that your web site's domain name (whatever.com) is properly and continually pointing to your IP address (a.b.c.d). Since you're using a cable modem, your IP address MAY change, so you need for your domain name to be dynamically updated. DynDNS can help you with the service and provide you the necessary dynamic DNS client software for your web server.

3. Make DANG sure that your web server is running anti-virus software and that it has all available security patches and service packs installed BEFORE you put it on the Internet.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:37 PM   #3
iQuit
macrumors 6502a

thanks...
iQuit is offline   0
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:48 AM   #4
plinden
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuit
I want to setup a web server and I have heard about Apache for windows but was unable to find the download.
Get the Win32 download from http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
plinden is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community