Wirecutter's Pick for Best iPhone 5 Case: The Switcheasy Tones - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:02 PM   #26
Uncle David
macrumors member

Quote:
After trying out most of the iPhone cases currently on the market...
I'm holding out for the CapsuleRebel™ by the same company, SwitchEasy.
Uncle David is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:07 PM   #27
feelleal
macrumors newbie

Going give this case a try. Already had to take my iPhone5 to the genuisbar due to it falling out of my pocket. It had an Incipio case on it. So glad I got AppleCare+. Had my iPhone4 for two years without a drop and a few weeks in already broke my new one.
feelleal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:09 PM   #28
JTToft
macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5 is one of the most beautiful products ever made. It shouldn't be covered up by an ugly case.
JTToft is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:34 PM   #29
needfx
macrumors 68000

I'm a nudist when it comes to iPhones
needfx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:39 PM   #30
mzd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The Switcheasy Tones is available for $24.99 in seven color options through Switcheasy's website.

Article Link: Wirecutter's Pick for Best iPhone 5 Case: The Switcheasy Tones
except they're not available. at least not the black. they have been out of stock since early last week. they'll gladly take your order, but they are not shipping them.

www.theclothsea.com
mzd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:40 PM   #31
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Who paid for this "news article"? Switcheasy or Wirecutter?
Neither, though I'm a big fan of Wirecutter and friendly with Brian Lam.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:42 PM   #32
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post
I agree with going naked. Been doing it with my iPhone 4 for almost 2 years now. I agree with the idea that the great design should stand by itself.

That said, my camera is now totally scratched up because it is flush with the rest of the phone. I don't care about scratches on the back glass, but when all my photos are blurred because of scratches, I will seriously consider covering my next phone.
Unlike all previous iPhones, the camera lens on the iPhone 5 is made of sapphire which is much more resistant to scratches.
slicecom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:54 PM   #33
jayducharme
macrumors 68000

When I do get my iPhone 5, I might send it to Liquipel. Rather than dropping it, I'm afraid of getting it wet. I carry it in my shirt pocket and I panic in sudden rainstorms. If it were waterproof, a case wouldn't matter as much.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:11 PM   #34
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

I've never used cases on my iPhones and I've never had a problem selling them when I upgrade.

Go naked or go home.
bpcookson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:16 PM   #35
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

There's no way I'd use this phone naked for the long term. I've seem much evidence online that pocket change and keys can scratch the aluminum back up really bad and can chip the edges of the phone (I have the black one).

I applied a "Best Skins Ever" full-body skin on my iPhone 5. It covers the front, back, home button, and the edge, but not the few mm of slanted edge between the glass and the perpendicular part of the edge (the bevel or "chamfer" as apple calls it).

The skin is actually pretty tough to notice for the casual observer. And they've done a good job keeping the feel of the skin slick. It's almost as slick as the bare glass. Not tacky or rubbery/sticky feeling as when I had a similar skin on my iPhone 3G.

Not a bad deal at $9.

That said, my phone does have a few very small "chips" out of the chamfer, which I didn't notice until a couple days after unboxing it (definitely before I put the skin on). . . but I can't be sure whether the chips were already there when I opened it or whether it got chipped somehow since I've had it. I haven't dropped it or knocked it against anything. (I gather this chipping is pretty common and likely is inherent to all black iPhone 5's due to the black coating on the edge/antenna being chipped off.)

I may end up getting a case to try and protect the chamfers. . . but right now with the full-body skin I'm feeling the phone is fairly well protected from scuffs/scratches. (It's probably not much help in terms of impact resistance though, whereas a case probably would be.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcookson View Post
I've never used cases on my iPhones and I've never had a problem selling them when I upgrade.

Go naked or go home.
*goes home.*
dgalvan123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:20 PM   #36
striker33
macrumors 65816

This isnt about Mac's, or a rumor for that matter.

Have I just been trolled?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:22 PM   #37
vthree
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!
I too concur. now that I have APP+ ... its $49 for a new phone if something major did happen. buying a case is easily more than half of that fee... I don't see a point in a case. In 2 years, I'll upgrade to a new phone anyways... If i didn't already know that then maybe i'd go with a case -- otherwise I'm never reckless with my phone.
vthree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:43 PM   #38
yongren
macrumors regular

Thanks for posting this the day after I ordered a different case on Amazon!
yongren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:53 PM   #39
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
Unlike all previous iPhones, the camera lens on the iPhone 5 is made of sapphire which is much more resistant to scratches.
Great to hear. Thanks for the response!
ToomeyND is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:59 PM   #40
gotluck
macrumors 68030

my hands sweat too much to use a naked iPhone
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:59 PM   #41
snowcrash
macrumors regular

So far I've used Wrapsol, invisableShield, various knock offs, a few cases and a knockoff bumper for my 5 and decided to run it naked (and yes it's also black). I ran my 4 and 4S naked most of the time. If anything ill grab a GelaSkins or something for the back just because I like designing my own custom ones and call it a day.
snowcrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:10 PM   #42
Presonance
macrumors member

Hate to be that guy, but...

Quote:
Now, The Wirecutter has named it's pick for best iPhone 5 case.
it's > its

Quote:
The Wirecutter had this to say in it's extraordinarily detailed iPhone 5 case review:
it's > its
Presonance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:26 PM   #43
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
The best case is the one Jonathan Ive designed.
I find it very ironic that so many people complain that other phones being made of durable plastic feel cheap, and go on and on about how beautiful the iPhone is, but then they cover their beautiful iPhone in a cheap feeling plastic case.

Apple made the iPhone out of aluminum because that is the very best material that could possibly be used.
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:15 PM   #44
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
The best case is the one Jonathan Ive designed.
I (and many) disagree. I've owned every iPhone variant (used to work for Apple in Cupertino), and the 5 (6th version) seems to be the least durable. The new, thinner front touch-screen is much more susceptible to breakage than the 4/4S. There are many who have already shattered the front glass in situations that previous models easily brushed off.

Unfortunately, as much as Ive may hate cases, until Apple develops a sturdy shell they will be a necessary evil.
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:02 PM   #45
sekazi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!
Agree. I have gotten cases for all my iPhones but this time around I have already bought two and not satisfied with either so I have not used a case for my iPhone 5 since launch. Now if someone was to release a bumper just like the iPhone 4 bumper then I would likely change my mind as I like the grip it provides on a surface so I can sit it on my dash without it flying off. The i-BLASON bumper released makes the phone feel strangely bulky but the Apple Bumper never did a such of a thing for me.

My black iPhone is still scratch free since launch.

Back at the launch of the iPad 3 I decided to ditch screen protectors so since then I have removed them from all of my devices. Still no scratches since removal. But I did keep the ZUM SC Ultimate and Leather Smart Cover on my iPad and Speck Candy Shell on my iPod touch G3.

People who complain about the phone getting scratched in their pocket dont put it in there with keys and change. The people who do this boggles my mind. Use a pocket for you phone, a pocket for your keys and a pocket for you wallet. It is that simple. I have never put a phone in with keys and change even my cheap Nokia I had years ago that got tossed around.
sekazi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:13 PM   #46
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presonance View Post
it's > its

it's > its
Whoops, you're right. Embarassing. It's/Its is my biggest grammar fault.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:14 PM   #47
noteple
macrumors 6502a

I use their case.
Ain't gonna get scratched but it no longer looks or feels like an iPhone 5.
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:30 PM   #48
Cygnus311
macrumors regular

You can find cases as good or better than all of these on ebay for a fraction of the cost. Also, anyone that uses screen protectors is an idiot.
Cygnus311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:37 PM   #49
Yester5
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post
You can find cases as good or better than all of these on ebay for a fraction of the cost. Also, anyone that uses screen protectors is an idiot.
Why?
Yester5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:03 PM   #50
Cygnus311
macrumors regular

Because the glass doesn't scratch if you're even remotely careful? I've been sticking the iPhone 4 in my pocket naked for over 2 years and there's not a single scratch on either side of the glass whatsoever. Just don't put keys and other crap in there. Not that hard.
Cygnus311 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion