Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster today released a report outlining the results of his semi-annual survey of U.S. teenagers, revealing that iPhone and iPad usage continues to surge among the demographic. The survey of over 7,700 teenagers shows that 40% of respondents currently use an iPhone, up from 34% in the last survey conducted just six months ago.
We believe it is a positive sign for the power of the iPhone among younger users that Apple was able to expand its market share with teens despite no new product launches between our Spring and Fall 2012 surveys.
Apple also appears well-positioned with teenagers going forward, with 62% of survey respondents stating that they plan to obtain an iPhone as their next phone.

piper_teen_survey_fall_2012.jpg

On the topic of tablets, Munster found that 44% of teenagers now have a tablet device of some sort, with 72% of those using an iPad. Roughly 35% of survey respondents who do not yet have a tablet (20% of total respondents) are planning to obtain one in the next six months. Of those, 74% are planning to purchase an iPad.

Apple's rumored "iPad mini" also appears to be a strong potential draw for teenagers, with 43% of those planning to purchase a tablet reporting that they would be more likely to do so if Apple launched a smaller iPad priced at $299.

Munster notes that attracting young users is a key part of Apple's strategy, as moving them into the Apple ecosystem at a young age helps lock them in for the future. The iPod touch has long been seen as a gateway device to attract younger users into the Apple ecosystem, but with the iPhone and iPad gaining in usage among these young users as smartphone and tablet prevalence continue to grow in general, many are moving into Apple's higher-priced devices at younger and younger ages.

Article Link: iPhone Usage Among U.S. Teens Hits 40% as iPad Continues to Gain Traction

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I got my first iPhone (on initial launch day) when I was 15. My brother got his first iPhone (4S) at 11. I have seen kids as young as 6 with their own personal iPhones. This is a huge demographic.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Cue all the silly people that whine about how iPhone is only for kids, and how they should know better, while ignoring the tens and tens of millions of adults (many of which are completely comfortable with technology and work with it professionally) who simply prefer iPhone to Android. :rolleyes:

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
is this all teens or just ones with cell phones? better yet, only ones with smart phones?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I couldn't never afford even a basic contract phone when I was a teenager. Never mind an iPhone.

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
We love our iPhones and iPads. :) I know my next phone is either going to be the iPhone 5 or Galaxy Note II (upgrading again in November :D)

I find many teens share iPads with other family members, and with Share Everything and similar plans, and also our ages + jobs, nearly everyone is getting a smartphone. If you aren't, you're almost definitely getting the Samsung Intensity II. Teens are getting the iPhone, a "Galaxy", or an HTC (mainly iPhones and "Galaxies"). And I see iPhone making a larger splash now with the 4S at $99 and the iPhone 5.

Windows Phone is actually surprisingly big here, with probably 7-8% share.

Note: I live in a slightly above-average (in socioeconomic terms) area.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Of course...the free with contract iPhones and huge number of 'hand me downs' have taken away the upfront cost.

Even though you pay WAY more for the data plan over 24 months, a lot of people see it as 'giving their kids a free phone' and just absorb the extra costs into the everygrowing cell phone bill.

The free on contract/$99 8 gig option was genius. Most kids will outgrow that with apps, pics and videos in NO time at all. Those kids will likely 'graduate' to a 16/32 gig device when their contracts are up.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Cue all the silly people that whine about how iPhone is only for kids, and how they should know better, while ignoring the tens and tens of millions of adults (many of which are completely comfortable with technology and work with it professionally) who simply prefer iPhone to Android. :rolleyes:

Quite the opposite. I would expect to hear more people complaining that these kids shouldn't have these kind of devices.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But I thought all teens loved the big a** Android phones and iPhones were for their parents and grandparents.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Both my teen kids (15 and 17) have iPhones handed down from us. My son tried an HTC Android first, but switched over to an iPhone when the contract was up and hasn't looked back.

itsaustinh

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm 17 and I'd believe that tidbit about the iPod touch... I got my iPod touch for Christmas last year and since then I got the new iPad in August and I switched in my horrible Android phone (running 2.1, mind you) in for an iPhone 5. I'll never go back!

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I got the first iPhone when I was a senior in high school, 17 years old. By the time I was a sophomore in college, everybody had them. I'm 22 now, so I'm obviously not a teen anymore, but my point is that this is certainly not a new trend. It's been this way for years.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
True Dat

I got my first iPhone (on initial launch day) when I was 15. My brother got his first iPhone (4S) at 11. I have seen kids as young as 6 with their own personal iPhones. This is a huge demographic.

Many of my nieces and nephews have iPhones. Heck, even my grandparents, aunts, and uncles too. Gotta love it. :apple:

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Wow this kind of story really contrasts to the ones we are reading in Europe about middle class American families queuing for free food supplies, and what's with all those tent cities?....I thought everyone in the US was rich?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.