Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:38 PM   #1
riptideMBP
macrumors 6502

Alert Popup

Hi
I just upgraded from snow leopard to mountain lion (fresh install + migration), and I have noticed some sort of alert dialogue box that pops at seemingly random times. The alert is displayed for much less than a second, and will even display while playing full screen video games (removing the game from view for the very short interval). Has anyone had experience with a similar annoyance?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:39 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Is there any possible way to grab a screen shot while it is visible and post it here? Or do you know what it said?
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:08 PM   #3
riptideMBP
macrumors 6502

unfortunately no, by much less than a second I mean there isn't enough time to read or otherwise react to it in any way.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptideMBP View Post
Hi
I just upgraded from snow leopard to mountain lion (fresh install + migration), and I have noticed some sort of alert dialogue box that pops at seemingly random times. The alert is displayed for much less than a second, and will even display while playing full screen video games (removing the game from view for the very short interval). Has anyone had experience with a similar annoyance?
This will happen if you have the firewall turned on and set to allow signed applications incoming connections. If you start a signed app that wants an incoming connection the box that ordinarily would come up for you to approve the connection pops up but is approved and closed because you set your firewall this way.

Apple needs to change this so the box is never seen IMO.

If you open your firewall temporarily I bet you will see the boxes stop.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:17 PM   #5
riptideMBP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
This will happen if you have the firewall turned on and set to allow signed applications incoming connections. If you start a signed app that wants an incoming connection the box that ordinarily would come up for you to approve the connection pops up but is approved and closed because you set your firewall this way.

Apple needs to change this so the box is never seen IMO.

If you open your firewall temporarily I bet you will see the boxes stop.
That makes sense, I was going to mention in my original post that the alert might possibly look like the "allow incoming connections" prompt, but I didn't want to bias anyone since I wasn't sure of it. Come to think of it, I did allow incoming connections in the game where they were previously prevented in snow leopard.
Thanks Weaselboy

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion