Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celebrityx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
the title pretty much says it all.
my 3tb usb 3.0 external drive ejects from my macbook air upon detection and hangs up the OS
i thought i lost my data numerous times (15yrs worth :eek:) but no.
my tests prove its the newer versions of the OS's, i dont know what they are doing but it aint working!
only OS it works perfectly on is 10.7.4, anything above no.
anybody else experiencing this? or know of a solution? please

Last edited:

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I currently have a WD MyBook Studio 3TB. It works fine in 10.6.8, worked fine in 10.7.4 and works flawlessly in 10.8 -.2. Never downloaded 10.7.5 as I was all ready on ML then. It worked fine formatted as OS Extended Journaled. Currently formatted as ExFat
Lets see if someone else has the problem.

Last edited:

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
the title pretty much says it all.
my 3tb usb 3.0 external drive ejects from my macbook air upon detection and hangs up the OS
i thought i lost my data numerous times (15yrs worth :eek:) but no.
my tests prove its the newer versions of the OS's, i dont know what they are doing but it aint working!
only OS it works perfectly on is 10.7.4, anything above no.
anybody else experiencing this? or know of a solution? please

What's the drive formatted as?

celebrityx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
format details

the drive is formatted as hfs+ journaled encrypted using it for storing my personal data and time machine backups. again i was at 10.7.4 and forgot to ignore os x updates now again all my decades worth of data is inacessable, i have to reinstall os x grrr :confused: whats going on you think guys!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.