Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1
magentawave
macrumors regular

Smile How can I safely remove my Android USB cable from my Mac without doing a Force Close?

I have a Macbook Pro and a Samsung Galaxy S2 i727 Skyrocket phone. When I plug the phone into my Mac with the USB cable I can see the disks on my Macs desktop and I can move files, etc. The problem is that the only way I can get my Android phone disks off of my Macs desktop is by doing a Force Close and it takes quite a while just to close them doing that. And this is even when I click the "Turn off the USB storage" button on my phone. I tried some Google Transfer app that I installed on my Mac and that never even saw my phone so I deleted that. I also tried a free Mount app from the Google Playstore and deleted that because it kept searching forever trying to find what I connected to without ever finding it.

Does anyone know how I can get the Android disks to close quickly from my Macs desktop? I read somewhere that after I click the "Turn off the USB storage" button on my phone that its okay to remove the USB cable without hurting anything even though I'll get the warning message on my computer. Does anyone know if thats true?

Thanks
Steve
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

I don't have an S2, but my Android phone in disk mode disappears from the Mac desktop in about one second or less. I'm on 10.6.8, so maybe you can figure out the problematic combination that is giving you trouble.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
magentawave
macrumors regular

I'm using 10.6.8 too. Thanks but I posted this issue here in the hopes that someone would know what to do.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:50 AM   #4
paulsalter
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to paulsalter Send a message via AIM to paulsalter Send a message via MSN to paulsalter Send a message via Yahoo to paulsalter
Not sure if I missed this in first post, for me when i connect

right click on desktop disk, select eject
then turn off usb mode from phone

I think i read somewhere you shouldn't need to eject it, but i always eject any external device before removing it
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:14 AM   #5
daveathall
macrumors 68000

My MBP doesn't recognise my S3 when it is plugged in by USB, nothing shows. Am I missing something here fellas or do I have to use Kies?
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:53 AM   #6
paulsalter
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to paulsalter Send a message via AIM to paulsalter Send a message via MSN to paulsalter Send a message via Yahoo to paulsalter
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
My MBP doesn't recognise my S3 when it is plugged in by USB, nothing shows. Am I missing something here fellas or do I have to use Kies?
Not sure if this is the same on the S3, under settings/developer options do you have one for USB debugging?

this should allow it to mount as a drive
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:02 AM   #7
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
For devices that started with android 4.0 I believe they now use mtp, so you need the android transfer software. This is how it is on the galaxy nexus at least.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:15 AM   #8
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Not sure if this is the same on the S3, under settings/developer options do you have one for USB debugging?

Thanks very much, I tried that but it doesn't seem to work, although my phone says connected as a USB media device, nothing shows on my MBP. My device is on Android 4.0.4 so as blackhand1001 advises, I need the Android transfer software. Thank you very much for answering though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
For devices that started with android 4.0 I believe they now use mtp, so you need the android transfer software. This is how it is on the galaxy nexus at least.
Thank you very much for the answer.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:06 PM   #9
magentawave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Not sure if I missed this in first post, for me when i connect

right click on desktop disk, select eject
then turn off usb mode from phone

I think i read somewhere you shouldn't need to eject it, but i always eject any external device before removing it
I have been trying to do that but the only way to eject the Android disks is to do a Force Eject which is slow to do. Yes, I think I read somewhere that once you turn off the USB on the phone that its okay to detach the USB cable in spite of the error warning I'll get on my Mac. Does anyone know if its true that this doesn't damage anything?

Quote:
And what is Kies supposed to do?

Quote:

Thanks but I tried that and it didn't make any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Thanks but I downloaded the Android Transfer software and it wouldn't recognize my Android so I deleted it.

Anyone else know about this please?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:14 PM   #10
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post

And what is Kies supposed to do?
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/us...tware/KIES/JSP

I find that once I updated to Mountain Lion it never worked correctly, there is a workaround but that always seems to have an update pending for my S3, but once I try to install it, it goes through all the stages and then there is still an update pending. So I uninstalled it..
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:04 PM   #11
magentawave
macrumors regular

BTW... Here is a screen capture of the error message I'm getting on my Mac when I remove the USB cable from my Android phone even though I turned the USB Storage off...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	368418  

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
android phone, macbook pro, samsung galaxy s2, usb