Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
MacMonkey13
macrumors member

Should I Unlock My ATT iPhone 4 Before I Sell It?

I have two iPhones coming off contract in a few weeks. I understand that ATT will let me unlock them after they are out of contract. Will I get more $$$ if I do that or does it not matter?
MacMonkey13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMonkey13 View Post
I have two iPhones coming off contract in a few weeks. I understand that ATT will let me unlock them after they are out of contract. Will I get more $$$ if I do that or does it not matter?
on craigslist, probably not, but yes if you plan on selling it on ebay.
ANMA dojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:47 PM   #3
JodyK
macrumors 6502a

I have literally handled, unlocked and sold hundreds of iPhones. It will def make it more marketable. For the less than $10 it will cost to have it unlocked it will double or triple your selling audience.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:59 PM   #4
trlyka
macrumors 6502

I am selling my 4 and want to unlock it. Is going through AT&T the best and easiest way? Once it's unlocked, does anything on the phone change? I am selling it, so I will need to figure out how to remove everything off of it. I wasn't sure if having it unlocked also restored it to new?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlyka View Post
I am selling my 4 and want to unlock it. Is going through AT&T the best and easiest way? Once it's unlocked, does anything on the phone change? I am selling it, so I will need to figure out how to remove everything off of it. I wasn't sure if having it unlocked also restored it to new?
Get it unlocked via eBay / AT&T, then restore it once you've received a confirmation from either party. All of your information will be removed, and the phone will also be unlocked. Enjoy!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yes, it will sell faster and for more money officially unlocked.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone