Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Quick question folks.

Will an original iPod remote, (the ones with only the headphone jack and not additional connector), work with my original 60GB 4G photo?

I don't think it will, but I know where I can get one extremely cheap, which will be perfect timing for a weekend away, starting Thursday, and am tempted to take a punt on it anyway.

Thanks

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
steve_hill4 said:
Quick question folks.

Will an original iPod remote, (the ones with only the headphone jack and not additional connector), work with my original 60GB 4G photo?

I don't think it will, but I know where I can get one extremely cheap, which will be perfect timing for a weekend away, starting Thursday, and am tempted to take a punt on it anyway.

Thanks

Nope, they new remotes have a connector that goes into the headphone jack and the remote port right next to it. The headphone jack is not big like the original iPods. sorry.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Oh, I know the differences between the 1G/2G remote and the 3G+ version, but was wondering if it would actually work with the newer models. The photo AV connector is actually longer than the headphone connector and looks very similar to the remote one, but I am sure it won't work anyway.

I may just change the date on the reserve, (it is at the place I work), to tomorrow and decide when I am in town on my day off. It's only a fiver, so I should be able to regain my money selling it on 2nd hand if I decide to take a gamble and buy it. It will be taken out the selaed packet, tried once and if unsuccessful, sold on straight away.

I guess it isn't much cash, just wondered if anyone knew what was different in the headphone socket between the generations, and in the remotes, to ensure the older ones won't work. I know the new ones have the extra connector, but ignoring that, what else is different to stop me using an older one?

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
The old iPods have this larger slot around the headphone jack, there is also a large metal piece around the end of the remote headphone jack. The metal on the remote slides into the slot around the port on the iPod. The metal sticks out and sorta covers a bit of the jack, so if you tried to put it into a newer iPod, the headphone jack wouldn't go in all the way. I doubt you would even be able to get sound.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Thanks for that last reply. I bought them anyway and discovered the difference that I had forgotten about as I took it out the packet. Bought a 3G+ remote the same day on ebay for £5 plus postage. So I am now selling the older one through ebay. No offers as of yet, but if anyone wants to pay me £5 for it and a couple of pounds to cover the postage and listing fees, I will be happy to send it on. If anyone does want it, it is listed here . Ignore the listing price if you pay through buy it now and just pay £5 plus the postage.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.