Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
So, I want to learn to code iPhone/iPad apps, but do not know anything about coding. I would like to learn from step 1. Can anyone give me some guides, links, tutorials, etc.? I want to learn from the basics and work my way up to coding iOS apps.

Thanks!

mngoose

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
SR&!

I'll offer my suggestion, while I am somewhat new to IPHONE programming, have a lot of patience and be prepared to tear your code apart and do it again. Currently I have worked on two apps and the first one me and my partner tore apart our code at least 200 times.

Another suggestion is that when you have something working, save the code be it in word pad, google docs, or a text editor of your choice that way you can refer back to it and spend time examining it without messing up the code.

Enjoy your time coding, its frustrating but oh so rewarding when you get something to work or you understand something that you didn't before.

RON

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Did you have absolutely no programming experience before you started there? If so, was it pretty hard to follow those lectures at first? Cuz even that course has some prerequisites.

That is true. I had some basic programming knowledge. This included 1.5 semesters of introductory C++, about a year of VB.net experience, and some other random stuff like a little bit of ruby.

All in all though, I wouldn't say that much of that really helped. The C++ helped to understand some basic concepts, but I think what really helped is watching the lectures WHILE doing the coding (this involved watching the lectures on my iPad and working on my computer, because switching between the video and XCode on the same computer would be cumbersome and probably cause you to miss things.

I also really liked http://www.raywenderlich.com - it has a set of tutorials that are examples from his book, and they have helped me when I am trying to learn a specific concept or strategy

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So, I want to learn to code iPhone/iPad apps, but do not know anything about coding. I would like to learn from step 1. Can anyone give me some guides, links, tutorials, etc.? I want to learn from the basics and work my way up to coding iOS apps.

Thanks!

There are two steps:
1 - Learn C
2 - Learn everything else (Obj-C, iOS SDK, and Xcode... I'm hoping to make it easier to learn these one by one rather than all at once in my book... if I ever finish my book...)

For step 1, I suggest Learn C The Hard Way. It's a free ebook. Google it. I can't remember the exact chapter numbers, but it seems like the first 30 or so are useful if I remember correctly. Beyond some point it gets really ugly, and, AFAICT, useless for iOS development.

For step 2, I suggest the Stanford iOS development lectures available for free on iTunes U.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Don't bother with the Stanford iPhone course, or any iPhone or Objective C textbook for that matter.

Learn basic programming first. Any computer language. It's typically a one full semester college course, and not an easy one. Or get a textbook and do the programming problems. Lots.

When you get though that, then learn Objective C and iOS development. Neither of them was designed as a optimal teaching platform. So learn them 2nd (or 3rd, etc.)

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
Don't bother with the Stanford iPhone course, or any iPhone or Objective C textbook for that matter.

Learn basic programming first. Any computer language. It's typically a one full semester college course, and not an easy one. Or get a textbook and do the programming problems. Lots.

When you get though that, then learn Objective C and iOS development. Neither of them was designed as a optimal teaching platform. So learn them 2nd (or 3rd, etc.)

Alternately, you can try a book like "Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide" by Aaron Hillegass. It teaches you programming from the ground up, starting with C, and working into Objective C. It has a decent number of exercises. The author has an easygoing style and the pace seems easy to follow. I bought it because I've been looking into teaching iOS development classes.

Once you've completed that book and done all the exercises, you'd be ready for a book that teaches you iOS development.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Alternately, you can try a book like "Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide" by Aaron Hillegass. It teaches you programming from the ground up...

"Programming in Objective-C" by Stephen G. Kochan uses a similar approach. He assumes no previous programming experience. (Stephen also is a member of these very forums.)

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
"Programming in Objective-C" by Stephen G. Kochan uses a similar approach. He assumes no previous programming experience. (Stephen also is a member of these very forums.)

I started with that book and got totally confused. If you have no experience at all even simple concepts are hard to understand. I read / struggled with "Learn C on the Mac" which was a great book in the end. But after I took the Pascal class at city college it totally opened up my eyes and filled in the blanks.

I say slowly learn C and make C programs. Then move to an Object C book like mentioned. At that point I understood object C books better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.