Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky1680

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
my phone spontaneously separated while holding it in my hand. It wasn't dropped or mistreated in any way. ??? The notches in the side seem to be a result of the metal buckling.

Attachments

• IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,405
  • IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,390

sparky1680

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
No stress and it's working just fine.

----------

I swear. I was holding it in my hand when it happened. I could feel it happen.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
This is a serious question: How tight are your jeans? Is it possible they were bent/put under stress while in your pocket?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
No stress and it's working just fine.

----------

I swear. I was holding it in my hand when it happened. I could feel it happen.

So you were holding it, and it just bent? Was it fast or slow? Could you feel if it was an internal component or the case that was bending?

Bring have this thread handy, or print out those pics/threads by other people in case they give you crap about it. Some other guy was denied service because they blamed him.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Daaafuuuq?!

You've gotta be kidding...

Bent, ok.

But the damn thing exploding in your hand idk how much i believe. Whats with the cracked band? Some sort of trauma had to have occurred.

I'm subscribing to this one.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
What's odd about this is the 3 people, including yourself, that have experience these mysterious damages are all new members of MacRumors. That's the one thing I noticed among the 3 of you, besides these usual damages to your 5's.

You had me giving you guys the benefit of the doubt, but it's becoming a little hard to believe due to your member date.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
What's odd about this is the 3 people, including yourself, that have experience these mysterious damages are all new members of MacRumors. That's the one thing I noticed among the 3 of you, besides these usual damages to your 5's.

You had me giving you guys the benefit of the doubt, but it's becoming a little hard to believe due to your member date.

Everyone has to start on the forums at some point, and I'm willing to guess that most people do join because they have a problem and want advice from fellow members.

I first joined because I had a problem with my MacBook Pro and wanted advice, I was a long time lurker but joined because of that. People using their join date as whether to believe them or not is ridiculous.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Everyone has to start on the forums at some point, and I'm willing to guess that most people do join because they have a problem and want advice from fellow members.

I first joined because I had a problem with my MacBook Pro and wanted advice, I was a long time lurker but joined because of that. People using their join date as whether to believe them or not is ridiculous.

On the other hand, macrumors is notorious for having people joing just to cause trouble and start rumors just to give a bad name to the iphone.

Theres nothing more in life thats important, that some folks out there have to pump up what ever device it is that they're using and trash the iphone.

Its sad and true.

Last edited by a moderator:

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
On the other hand, macrumors is notorious for having people joing just to cause trouble and start rumors just to give a bad name to the iphone.

Theres nothing more in life thats important, that some folks out there have to pump up what ever device it is that they're using and trash the iphone.

Its sad and true.

Yeah I do understand what your saying and there's loads of trolls about but does that mean we should just bash new members every time they have a problem then?

Last edited by a moderator:

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Yeah I do understand what your saying and there's loads of trolls about but does that mean we should just bash new members every time they have a problem then?

No way, definitely not. But we definitely should question. Try to analyze, and come up with some realistic answer.

This particular quandary is a real stinker, because it just makes no sense.

You have the statement OP gave... " i swear i didn't do anything to it"

Yet it appears that there had to have been some trauma. The band is damaged, and to the point where the screen is popped up! You need a suction cup and spudger to get the screen out.

The other 2 guys say they received bent iphones out of the box. A little bit more reasonable.

This one is definitely a toughy. And thats what we're here for, is to figure it out ;)

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
No way, definitely not. But we definitely should question. Try to analyze, and come up with some realistic answer.

This particular quandary is a real stinker, because it just makes no sense.

You have the statement OP gave... " i swear i didn't do anything to it"

Yet it appears that there had to have been some trauma. The band is damaged, and to the point where the screen is popped up! You need a suction cup and spudger to get the screen out.

The other 2 guys say they received bent iphones out of the box. A little bit more reasonable.

This one is definitely a toughy. And thats what we're here for, is to figure it out ;)

Fair point, it does seem rather fishy given the OP's explanation. But stranger things have happened although I'm willing to bet the Apple store is going to share your suspicion too!

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Those teeth that you can see that are attached to the screen sit underneath the rim on the band.

For the teeth to stop doing their job, and completely let go of the rim, the thing would need to get bent MAJORLY in the opposite direction so there is no longer contact with the rim and the teeth.

HOW could this happen?

You sure one of your friends didn't gangnam style step on it without you seeing it?

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
It's obvious that the phone has benn sat on or something similar. But it's also obvious that the aluminium shell is going to be a disaster for apple.
The metal does not have the strength for something such as a phone.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
What I find interesting is the front panel is still straight and carries on straight. It's the sides and the back that have bent out of place. Surely if it had been sat on or done by force the front panel would have bent with the phone like in the other bent photos?

It seems like its come away from the front panel and bent. Some people had complained in another thread there was a bit of a gap at the top so much so that one person could fit a piece of paper in.

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I'm going to say this is a false claim. Based on the picture, there is nothing that indicates the back of the case or the front of the screen has been affected by any internal components (exploding battery). It's not possible for an internal component to bend the top 1/3 of the phone cleanly like that.

Someone was trying to test the durability of the iPhone by bending it. They used force on the aluminum frame instead of the front glass. Most likely by gripping the phone with one hand and the other hand by using 4 fingers on the back and the thumb muscle on the frame.

I'm seeing lots of fraud coming Apple's way (or their credit card company). If there's some imperfection or they want to exchange it, they need to find a more compelling reason to do so. This isn't the first and surely won't be the last.

Another BS Claim: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1359331/

Seriously, if Apple made cars, people would try to get an exchange for every scratches, rock chips, fender bender, and all kinds of "accidents". You'll see posts like "I just bought my car and I found out it has bird crap on it when I got home, can I exchange it?" Either that or someone who's jealous of the iPhone is trying to make it look bad.

And there is no way the case can bend but the screen is still perfect by a phone being dropped at any height, 2 feet, or 2 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatllama
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.