Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:29 AM   #1
berni29
macrumors newbie

Where does mail store account settings please?

Hi There

I am running ML 10.8.2 on a mid 2009 macbook pro, with the OS on an SSD and data on another internal HDD. i have the mail program on the SSD and the mailboxes on the secondary HDD.

I cannot save any settings related to the account information. I have deleted every com.apple.mail.plist I can find, ie the one in preferences, and also the one in containers on both drives, and also the mail related keychains on both drives.

Where does mail keep the account settings information. I have read every post I can. I cannot even use thunderbolt because my mail is not stored on the primary drive so it cannot import it. I want to get mail working in any case.

The SSD had a fresh install of ML on it and the applications migrated over.

Something is confused somewhere. Please help, I cannot add, delete or change any of my account information!

Many thanks

Berni
MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
berni29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:47 PM   #2
desertman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by berni29 View Post
i have the mail program on the SSD and the mailboxes on the secondary HDD.
How did you do that? Doesn't store Mail its data always in the (user) library which is always on the same volume as the system (= the SSD in your case)?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:36 PM   #3
fisherking
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
How did you do that? Doesn't store Mail its data always in the (user) library which is always on the same volume as the system (= the SSD in your case)?
seriously. perhaps...if you're trying to keep mail on the second drive, set it up traditionally first (BACKUP YOUR MAIL BEFORE DOING ANYTHING).

then, QUIT MAIL, copy the Mail folder (from your HOME library) to the other drive, delete the Mail folder from your home library, and put an ALIAS to the one on the secondary drive in your home library.

never tried this, so not sure it will work. backup everything FIRST, and, as always, proceed with caution...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion