Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg takes a look at the situation surrounding scratching and scuffing of the iPhone 5's aluminum shell, an issue we noted just hours after the device's launch. According to today's report, Apple has indeed increased quality control standards to reduce the number of devices that are delivered with scratches right out of the box, but the move has slowed production on the new iPhone.
The scrapes, which sparked complaints with the iPhone's debut last month, are due to Apple's decision to use a type of aluminum that helps make the smartphone thinner and lighter. Senior Apple managers told executives at Foxconn near the end of September to tighten production standards, said the person, who asked not to be named because the matter was private.

Stricter benchmarks have hampered production of the iPhone 5's anodized aluminum housings, forcing Foxconn's Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. to idle factories, the person said.
Specifically, the report claims that Foxconn had to halt assembly work at one of its plants on October 6 because of a lack rear shell parts.

1zoykg7.jpg
Intentionally scratched black iPhone 5 showing silver color underneath
The tightened quality control standards have increased stress on workers responsible for manufacturing the parts, with Foxconn employees interviewed for the story noting that every single step of the manufacturing and assembly process has the potential to scratch the soft metal, resulting in a significant number of the metal iPhone bodies not making it through the process cleanly.

The increased tensions among workers reportedly led to thousands of Foxconn workers briefly going on strike over the issue late last week, although Foxconn denied that there was any such action.

Article Link: Increased iPhone 5 Quality Control Standards to Address Scratches Slowing Production

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Slower production sounds better than having a boatload of pre-worn iPhones leaving the factory ;)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
They need more time to carefully scratch each phone, because Foxconn employees take their job seriously.

Last edited:

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
My 2¢

They should be doing type III anodizing instead of II. Also known as Hard Anodizing. The colors would be richer and less likely to scratch. The problem with type III is that is doubles the amount of time to anodize.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Making changes to improve the product is always very welcome news in my humble opinion. :)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
what's the point?

This will minimize disappointment when people open the box, but they are not addressing the real issue: This thing SCRATCHES EASILY. So if the poor Foxconn employee makes a scratch free unit, it is only a matter of days (hours) before you yourself scratch it!

duffmanth

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
At least Apple is acknowledging the problem and doing something about it. They need to do whatever to get this resolved for the amount of money they charge for these phones and the way they market them.

cderry

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2004
Bloomington, IL
My wife and I's iPhone 5's are expected to ship 11/2. Check that thing over nice and carefully, Foxxconn employee # 45672891. I don't want any scratches.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
They should be doing type III anodizing instead of II. Also known as Hard Anodizing. The colors would be richer and less likely to scratch. The problem with type III is that is doubles the amount of time to anodize.

Maybe they are doing that, but not announcing it. Else people might scramble to return their iPhones within the 14 days period.

Time will tell!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
This will minimize disappointment when people open the box, but they are not addressing the real issue: This thing SCRATCHES EASILY. So if the poor Foxconn employee makes a scratch free unit, it is only a matter of days (hours) before you yourself scratch it!
Mine hasn't scratched yet and I got mine 10 days ago. I have the black version, the one where scratches show more easily. When I put my iPhone 5 in my pocket, I place it in a poorly fitting Xqisit case that I earlier used for my iPhone 3GS. (I'm waiting for the BookBook for iPhone 5 case to be released) When I sit in front of a computer or watch TV at home, I have it outside my case. When I sleep, I have it outside my case on my nightstand. I don't really see why it should scratch the forthcoming 10 days either. Sure, if I just shove it down my pocket along with some coins or keys, but not if I handle it like I did with my 3GS. Yes, if I slide it across a table and there's debris on it, but I won't do that as I have no reason to. It'll scratch after a while though, but this is not unusual for phones you use daily.

Finally, I think the photo Macrumors keep using is a poor choice and exaggerating the issue. This is still that photo from the guy who ruined hardware that wasn't his by intentionally scratching it, just to make a point. Ugh. That can't even have been a legal action, but somehow it's proudly used here and elsewhere. It's not a scratch from normal wear and tear.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Maybe they are doing that, but not announcing it. Else people might scramble to return their iPhones within the 14 days period.

Time will tell!

Wow good call. Maybe they're saving that for the 5S?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

How do we know they're not trying to fix that? Funny though my white phone doesn't have a nick on it and I've had it for two weeks. I guess I'm unusual because my apple products always look and work fine. :)

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Ah..the benefits of not being an early adoptor, glad I'm waiting to get a 5s next year, and hopefully if the Ipad Mini has the same case esign they will take this into account

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
The story as written plainly indicate that the scratches, dents and bending are a design and material specification problem and not a manufacturing problem.

If workers need to walk on eggshells during its manufacture, how's it supposed to last when it's in the user's hands?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The story as written plainly indicate that the scratches, dents and bending are a design and material specification problem and not a manufacturing problem.

If workers need to walk on eggshells during its manufacture, how's it supposed to last when it's in the user's hands?

Who cares? It's so pretty. Apple has painstakingly crafted a piece of art and has a zillion cameras shooting from all angles to make sure pieces fit together down to the micron. Thinner. Lighter. Minimalistic. The best iPhone ever. :rolleyes:

ant2009

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2010
I feel sorry for the foxconn workers. They are under a lot of pressure and get paid very little for the amount of work they do.

For me personally don't really care about a few scratches. However, if they are very large and ruin the look of my iPhone then I would complain.

However, I don't think the workers can be 100% to blame I put it mostly down to the materials and the process of putting them together.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
there's a "bendgate" brewing too

To be followed by "gate gate" where people feel an overwhelming compulsion to blow things out of proportion and slap the word "gate at the end of everything. Oh, wait. We're already there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.