Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papertigers87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Cardiff, South Wales
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping somebody may have the answer to this one.

I'm actually on my third iPhone 5 now due to scratches/marks on the back panel (bit of a fussy bugger!).

So, I received my third one today and started to set it up, however, when I get to restore the phone from backup I get the message "Cannot Restore Backup". I've tried about 5 times now and I keep getting the same. I still have the second iPhone, so I decided to restore that one from the backup after I'd reset it and it restored from the backup without any problems.

For some reason this new replacement doesn't like the backup. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Luke

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
may be a dumb question, but are you on wifi?

Also, set it up as new first and then go back and try to restore from a backup.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I had a similar issue with my wife's replacement iPhone 4 yesterday. I thought that maybe it was due to the iOS 5->6 difference, but perhaps not?

It wasn't a huge deal b/c her phone didn't have much in it yet, but definitely not working as advertised; I mean, if one can't restore from back up, what's the ****ing point, right?

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I had that problem but I just was persistance and on the fourth try it worked.

As someone suggested make sure you are on WiFi.

papertigers87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Cardiff, South Wales
Hi,

I've just managed to get it working on my eighth go! I've been trying for the last couple of hours, setting up as new and then erasing and restoring, etc; then, when it works first time on the old one, you start to think there's something up with the damn thing, but it just did it after a few more attempts!

It's a shame it also has a mark on the back and will be going back. Will I ever get a perfect one? Hmmm....

Thanks anyway, guys.

Luke
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.