Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DioFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Hi! I need to order an iPhone 5 case, I also have an iPod 5 on order. Looking at the dimensions of the iphone 5 and the ipod 5 do you think an iphone 5 case would work with an iPod 5?

TIA

Rad-o

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
No , because iPhone is thicker than the iPod and also , the volume buttons and other things may not match

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
No , because iPhone is thicker than the iPod and also , the volume buttons and other things may not match

Also, an iPhone 5 case isn't going to have a hole for the iPod touch Loop, if you were planning on using it.

Basically, you're going to have to buy a case made specifically for the 5th gen iPod touch. Or, you could not buy a case at all. I like my devices to be case-free :)

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
A side question though, I would think iPhone 5 Screen protectors should work though given the screens are the same size, right?

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
A side question though, I would think iPhone 5 Screen protectors should work though given the screens are the same size, right?

Will they work? Yes, but they won't be perfect. The holes on the front of an iPhone screen protector are going to be different than the ones for an iPod. There is only a FaceTime camera on the front of an iPod, but an iPhone has the camera and a speaker.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Will they work? Yes, but they won't be perfect. The holes on the front of an iPhone screen protector are going to be different than the ones for an iPod. There is only a FaceTime camera on the front of an iPod, but an iPhone has the camera and a speaker.

Doh! Thanks for reminding me of those, forgot all about the camera's, etc. :eek:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Hi! I need to order an iPhone 5 case, I also have an iPod 5 on order. Looking at the dimensions of the iphone 5 and the ipod 5 do you think an iphone 5 case would work with an iPod 5?

TIA

Face+Smash_f5f30e_3096089.gif

Jayste4

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011

TIA

Unfortunately, no. It would have been nice if Apple had made the two devices share some dimensions such as case size and button placement so we iPod touch owners would not have case envy with iPhone owners. However, the volume buttons on the touch are shaped differently than on the phone and the volume up button on the touch lines up roughly with the mute button on the phone. Also, the front cameras don't line up. The touch camera falls about 1/2 way between the mic and camera on the phone.

Kalebpatt97

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
Well yes the otter box would work if u put something behind the iPod to push up and the part that opens for the vibrator would b volume up and volume up is down and other cases would work the same if the open part for the bottoms and switch is open all the way like the Nike case at most hibbits sporting goods

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.