Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iCade 8-Bitty Nintendo-Like iOS Wireless Controller Now Shipping

ThinkGeek, the creators of the iCade iPad gaming cabinet have released the iCade 8-Bitty Bluetooth enabled controller, announced earlier this year. The controller is roughly the size and layout of a classic NES controller, with an extra pair of A/B buttons on the right side and two shoulder buttons.

The controller is now available from ThinkGeek's website for $29.99.

Article Link: iCade 8-Bitty Nintendo-Like iOS Wireless Controller Now Shipping
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
domesposito
macrumors newbie

meh.
domesposito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Want300
macrumors 65816

With that.... We need Super Mario Bros for iOS
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4
iWe
macrumors regular

That thing should have an holder for the iPhone.
iWe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Blinny83
macrumors member

Yawn. Nostalgia is great, but let's see a real, modern controller. The iPad has been begging for one since it was released.
Blinny83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:46 PM   #6
seecoolguy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want300 View Post
too bad the big N wont license them out :-/
seecoolguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:07 PM   #7
TedM
macrumors 6502

This is really cool and not too expensive. I think I'm on board.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:20 PM   #8
pancakedrawer
macrumors regular

Quote:
The controller is roughly the size and layout of a classic NES controller, with an extra pair of A/B buttons on the right side and two shoulder buttons.
Why not just say that it's the same as the SNES controller.
pancakedrawer is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:21 PM   #9
davie18
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinny83 View Post
Yawn. Nostalgia is great, but let's see a real, modern controller. The iPad has been begging for one since it was released.
I think a controller that kind of plugs in around the iPhone would be amazing personally.

I mean games like GTA III have the potential to be so good on the iPhone, but the touchscreen controls are just absolutely horrid for games like that, at least imo. I mean don't get me wrong I love touchscreen on my phone, but I just wish there were something that you could put on your iphone that would turn it into a psp-type thing for when you want to play on games that would be better suited to physical controls rather than touchscreen.

Why someone hasn't created such a device and just took it to a company like rockstar to sell the idea to them I have no idea, I mean I would create plans and stuff myself if I had the knowledge.
davie18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:25 PM   #10
coder12
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie18 View Post
I think a controller that kind of plugs in around the iPhone would be amazing personally.

I mean games like GTA III have the potential to be so good on the iPhone, but the touchscreen controls are just absolutely horrid for games like that, at least imo. I mean don't get me wrong I love touchscreen on my phone, but I just wish there were something that you could put on your iphone that would turn it into a psp-type thing for when you want to play on games that would be better suited to physical controls rather than touchscreen.

Why someone hasn't created such a device and just took it to a company like rockstar to sell the idea to them I have no idea, I mean I would create plans and stuff myself if I had the knowledge.
http://www.icontrolpad.com << eh?? eh??

edit: Pretty neat, eh??
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Blakjack
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by seecoolguy View Post
too bad the big N wont license them out :-/
Nintendo needs to just stop with the madness. I honestly think many people(older heads) could reconnect with the brand by porting old games like the original Mario to iOS.

Get off your high horse Nintendo.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Devie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post
Nintendo needs to just stop with the madness. I honestly think many people(older heads) could reconnect with the brand by porting old games like the original Mario to iOS.

Why the hell would Nintendo lisence their games to a competing product?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:57 PM   #13
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedrawer View Post
Why not just say that it's the same as the SNES controller.
The SNES controller was way more ergonomic. This is hand-cramp city.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:27 PM   #14
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post

Exactly. We have a super nintendo in the break room at the office and everyone between 26 and 36 are constantly playing it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devie View Post
Why the hell would Nintendo lisence their games to a competing product?
It means money. They could re-release all the old top 8 and 16 bit titles and rake it in 99 cents at a time. (minus 30% of course)
FrizzleFryBen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:32 PM   #15
displaced
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to displaced Send a message via MSN to displaced Send a message via Skype™ to displaced
Looks good... buuuuuut...

The name. 8-Bitty?

I'm presuming I'm not the only UK'er here that had this pop straight into their minds. (Caution... almost certainly NSFW and possibly not particularly funny to those outside of the UK - or even for some within)
displaced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:43 PM   #16
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Nice idea, but what we really need is something like this

...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:47 PM   #17
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post

I agree so hard.
maccompatible is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:51 PM   #18
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie18 View Post

The reason is that you need developers to adopt it. There is no universal controller protocol, so each individual controller will have a different library of code to implement. Then the problem is that no single controller has enough users to warrant implementing. And so you have a chicken & the egg problem - developers want users before implementing, users want games from developers before buying.

But even if there were 10,000 controllers out there, only a small percentage of those users would want your specific game (Even GTA III.) So spending a few days implementing and testing controller code most developers just ignore the issue.

I personally implement iCade controls into my games when I can as the library is simple and I own an iCade myself.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:52 PM   #19
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrizzleFryBen View Post
Exactly. We have a super nintendo in the break room at the office and everyone between 26 and 36 are constantly playing it.

----------

It means money. They could re-release all the old top 8 and 16 bit titles and rake it in 99 cents at a time. (minus 30% of course)
Nintendo has already rereleased their old 8 and 16 bit titles for download. On their systems.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:21 PM   #20
surf2snow1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Nintendo has already rereleased their old 8 and 16 bit titles for download. On their systems.
Which makes them absolutely $0 from iOS purchases. Move it to iOS, rake in 4.99 a game. Or bundle all marios for $9.99. 1 million downloads, thats a cool 7 million.
surf2snow1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:24 PM   #21
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf2snow1 View Post
Which makes them absolutely $0 from iOS purchases. Move it to iOS, rake in 4.99 a game. Or bundle all marios for $9.99. 1 million downloads, thats a cool 7 million.
And hurt their own hardware sales in the process.

Remember that Nintendo makes money not only on game sales, but also hardware (both consoles and their accessories) and royalties from third party publishers producing games for that hardware.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Oct 10, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:55 PM   #22
SoldOnApple
macrumors member

This would be serviceable, but it the buttons are not in the diamond shape, as per every other pad ever made in the last five generations.
SoldOnApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:55 PM   #23
Westside guy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf2snow1 View Post
Right. And, while we're at it, Apple should release a version of Mountain Lion that'll run on generic PC hardware. After all, they're currently making absolutely $0 from PC purchases. Move it to PC, rake in 19.99 an install. Ten million downloads, that's a cool 200 million.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:11 PM   #24
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post

But now with the iPhone 5 and the 5th generation iPod touch they'd need to redesign it to fit the Lightning connector and the new location for the audio jack.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:29 PM   #25
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want300 View Post
iOS has a sweet a$$ game called Mikey Shorts, I think it's more fun.

iChrist is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion