Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Is there any way to unsubscribe from mail folders (called "Mailboxes" by Mail) for IMAP accounts when using Apple Mail? Any third party application that allows to do that?

I find this to be one of the bigger (of many) annoyances of Apple Mail and it kind of makes me wonder why there is no more (if any) uproar against it anywhere on the world wide web ...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have never seen a way to do it from the Mail app settings or any add-on, but if you are using GMail IMAP you an login to gmail.com and in the settings there tell it which IMAP folders you want to display. You should be sure and uncheck show in IMAP for the "All Mail" GMail folder as this causes a duplicate download to OS X Mail client for every single email message.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Thanks. It's not a Gmail but a (German) GMX account that I would need this for. In this account ends up all my junk mail from almost all my email addresses in a folder "Spamverdacht" and this folder I would like not to see in Mail because I'm getting once a day an email from GMX with a list of all spam mails that have arrived. This list is good enoug for me (very rarely a false positive in there). I especially would like not to get notified by Mail whenever a new spam mail has arrived. Very annoying that Apple - once more - is ignoring established and useful standards here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.