Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluedog54

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Boston
I've replaced the DVD drive in 2010 15" MBP with a 750 HDD. I can hear the drive spinning, but how do I get the OS to recognize the new drive?

Gizmo22

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Midwest USA
I've replaced the DVD drive in 2010 15" MBP with a 750 HDD. I can hear the drive spinning, but how do I get the OS to recognize the new drive?

If installed correctly, should be automatic I believe. Coincidentally enough I did the same in an early 2011 about 3 hours ago and was up and running.

To clarify, nothing shows up in Finder either? What about Disk Utility?

Bluedog54

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Boston
If installed correctly, should be automatic I believe. Coincidentally enough I did the same in an early 2011 about 3 hours ago and was up and running.

To clarify, nothing shows up in Finder either? What about Disk Utility?

No, unfortunately no appearance in either finder or the utility. I'm thinking it must be a bad drive. I can hear it spinning though.

Gizmo22

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Midwest USA
No, unfortunately no appearance in either finder or the utility. I'm thinking it must be a bad drive. I can hear it spinning though.

Spinning means it is getting power, but does not mean it is properly seated with regards to the data connection. Really anxious for you to get to the bottom of this so I can ask you if you notice the same increase in heat and vibration with one. Temps seem to be up 5-6 degrees Centigrade at idle, and a bit more vibration can be felt.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
It will be automatically detected, however, if the drive is new it will be unformatted, that means you won't be able to see it in Finder. Go to Disk Utility and see if the drive is listed there, if its not, chances are its a problem with the disk, if so, RMA it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.