Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
I didn't expect it to work, but I received my lightning dock adapter today and added it to the growing totem-pole of adapters that allow the iPhone to work with older Pioneer car stereo head units. The sound actually passes through and it gets charged with the following:

Pioneer CD-IB100 II iPod Car Kit Adapter
pioneer-cd-ib100-ii-ipod-car-kit-adapter.jpg

+

CableJive dockStubz Charge Converter
41R0lkNcNfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

+

Apple Lightning Dock Adapter
images

Just wanted to post this in case someone else with older Pioneer audio equipment in their car was wondering.

Reactions: leofitmelb

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Thank you,
I have a ZBT110 and was wondering.

Still think it sucks apple raping us for an additional 30-40 bucks

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Thank you,
I have a ZBT110 and was wondering.

Still think it sucks apple raping us for an additional 30-40 bucks

That's a MUCH newer head unit, so there's no guarantee it will work for you. I am talking about older Pioneer units that rely on the CD-IB100 II iPod Car Kit Adapter for external source connectivity. My head unit is at least a decade old.. Pioneer Premier DEHP7200 I think

Yeah the Apple adapter tax sucks :(

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
That's a MUCH newer head unit, so there's no guarantee it will work for you. I am talking about older Pioneer units that rely on the CD-IB100 II iPod Car Kit Adapter for external source connectivity. My head unit is at least a decade old.. Pioneer Premier DEHP7200 I think

Yeah the Apple adapter tax sucks :(

From what my installer said pioneer is pioneer especially when it comes to the iPod interface.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
what I don't get is inside that adapter there is a digital to analog converter to get sound out of the dock connector. the headphone jack is now next to the dock connector. put a 3.5mm jack on the converter and pin it out to the analog audio pins on the old 30pin. done.

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
what I don't get is inside that adapter there is a digital to analog converter to get sound out of the dock connector. the headphone jack is now next to the dock connector. put a 3.5mm jack on the converter and pin it out to the analog audio pins on the old 30pin. done.

The only problem with that.. at least with the old Pioneer car decks is there's no way to select a different source other than radio because the P-bus has to be triggered for it to enable the additional source inputs. I am not sure how the CD-IB100 II is noticing an iPod\iPhone is connected to it. Maybe the analog audio pins are all it needs, but other pins might be involved to make the head unit aware there's a device connected so it can make the head unit engage the external source input.

And yeah some of us are too cheap to upgrade our car audio head units, but it is nice to know what add-on part will make it continue to work in some way.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Did you try it WITHOUT the Cable Jive charge adapter in the mix? One would think that Apple would have had the sense to add charge conversion to the new Lightning Adapter.

BTW, for folks that don't understand...

The early iPods (and first generation iPhone) allowed for Firewire charging. Meaning, there was a pin on the dock that supported +12volts for charging. But in 2008 Apple stopped supporting +12v charging and switched to using only +5volt USB charging (on a different pin).

Most car systems, boom boxes, and home stereo systems with iPod cables only supported +12volt charging up until 2009 or so. Therefore, a charge adapter (like the Cable Jive unit) was needed to convert the +12volt to +5volt AND direct it to the correct pin on the iPod/iPhone.

Fingers crossed that you only assumed you'd still need the Cable Jive charge adapter and haven't tried without it yet. Apple SHOULD have thought of adding the charge conversion to the Lightning adapter.

Mark

Last edited:

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
I hadn't tried it without the CableJive converter. I was worried it would fry the port, but it's made of lightning, so it should be ok right? :) There's always been an anomaly with my CableJive converter. Sometimes it powers the iPhone without the side mini USB charge infusor plugged in when I turn the ignition accessory key all the way to start my truck, but other times (most always actually), I have to plug that in temporarily for just a fraction of a second, the charge indicator will come on my iPhone and then I can remove the mini USB charger. I was hoping my iPhone 5 wouldn't be annoying like that, but unfortunately the same behavior as with my iPhone 4! It's analogous to using a defibrillator to start a heart whereas this is 'starting' the charge process on my iPhone while plugged up to the iPod adapter\CableJive. Weird! Anyone one else's setup do this?

Thanks for the explanation Mark to everyone about the firewire retirement in Apple's iPods and what all that means. I am not sure right now if I want to be the guinea pig to try the lightning adapter without the CableJive converter in the chain though.

spring

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
I hadn't tried it without the CableJive converter. I was worried it would fry the port, but it's made of lightning, so it should be ok right? :) There's always been an anomaly with my CableJive converter. Sometimes it powers the iPhone without the side mini USB charge infusor plugged in when I turn the ignition accessory key all the way to start my truck, but other times (most always actually), I have to plug that in temporarily for just a fraction of a second, the charge indicator will come on my iPhone and then I can remove the mini USB charger. I was hoping my iPhone 5 wouldn't be annoying like that, but unfortunately the same behavior as with my iPhone 4! It's analogous to using a defibrillator to start a heart whereas this is 'starting' the charge process on my iPhone while plugged up to the iPod adapter\CableJive. Weird! Anyone one else's setup do this?

Thanks for the explanation Mark to everyone about the firewire retirement in Apple's iPods and what all that means. I am not sure right now if I want to be the guinea pig to try the lightning adapter without the CableJive converter in the chain though.
Please do try it without the cablejive. My current setup in my car requires the cablejive to power so I'm hoping that with the lighting adapter, I wouldn't need the cablejive. Otherwise, two adapters :eek:

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008

To be clear.... On the 30-pin dock connector, the +12v charging and the +5v charging are done ON DIFFERENT PINS. Not only does the Cable Jive converter step the +12v down to +5v, it directs the +5V to a completely different pin.

In other words, there is ZERO chance you can damage an iPhone or iPod by removing the CableJive converter from the chain. It simply won't charge the phone if Apple hasn't also built in the power conversion.

Here's information on the function of each pin in a 30-pin dock connector:

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

As you can see, pins 19 and 20 are used for +12v (Firewire) charging and pin 23 is used for +5v (USB) charging.

There's no way that you can accidentally apply +12v to the +5v pin by removing the CableJive converter.

Seriously, you will be doing many people a great service if you attach the Apple Lightning to 30-pin converter to your Pioneer receiver's cable and see if your iPhone 5 charges without the CableJive converter.

Fingers crossed that Apple thought to include the power conversion in the Lightning adapter!

Mark

Giuly

macrumors 68040
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6907_Pioneer-CD-IB100II.html said:
The Apple iPhone 3G, iPod Nano 4th Gen, iPod Touch 2nd Gen, and any other newly released iPods can be controlled using the iPod adapter above; however, charging will not be possible unless you purchase the Scosche IFWA PassPORT charging adapter.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1465232/ said:
So it STILL will not charge with old 30-pins connectors that use firewire to charge. LAME! Apple lost a sale here, I have no use for it.

There you go.

Last edited:

Cozmo85

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007

The DA converter means its compatible with everything that uses lightning. If they put a 3.5mm head phone jack on it then you would need a different one for the next ipad, and the ipod nano, and the ipod touch, and the iphone.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Apparently it's not a big of a "luxury tax" as it seemed at first - the way they built the lightning setup, that adapter has more than a few chips in it.

Chips are cheap, especially what these are doing.

I would be amazed if it cost more than $4 to make.

Running on a 300 mm 28nm process they are probably getting close to 2500 die per wafer.

In essence apple is charging us $60. They reduced their cost by removing the functionality of the phone (saving $$$) then turn around and add the functionality through an adapter.

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Ah since the pins are switched it will either work or it won't work, but it definitely won't fry anything. I will try it as soon as I can (at work atm).

I do have a pic of the setup now. I did Dremel the top of the iPod adapter off a couple years ago when I was using the free bumper with my iPhone 4, so that's why that part looks ugly. I didn't care enough to make it look nice again. :)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 1,202

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
CableJive necessary for power. Lightning adapter won't convert power.

Sorry guys.... You still need the CableJive DockStubz to feed your iPhone 5 power. :( I tried it out and it's a requirement if you want power while plugged into the iPod adapter and lightning adapter.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Sorry guys.... You still need the CableJive DockStubz to feed your iPhone 5 power. :( I tried it out and it's a requirement if you want power while plugged into the iPod adapter and lightning adapter.

Thanks for confirming!

Too bad Apple blew it by not including charge conversion.

Mark

Anthony Amalfitano

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020
Anyone still running this adapter with their later model iPhones? I am trying to revive an old Pioneer CD IB100 II setup with a lightning to IPbus cable (with external wires for power supply) which will plug into the spare IP Bus IN port on the Pioneer adapter. Unfortunately I can’t get it to work, I thought this port was just plug and play?

I also tried with a 30pin to lightning adapter on the original white cable (without the power adapter but it should still give a signal right?) but it doesn’t work here either. Found an old iPod which still works fine though...

claudiodsf

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Paris, France
Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for this tip !

I have a Pioneer CD-IB100 (the original version, not the II) and I could connect my iPhone 6s using the Apple Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (MD824ZM/A) plus the CableJive dockStubz+

I confirm that without the dockStubz+ the iPhone will not charge.

zingerburger

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2022
Hi,
I have one of these older head units, I purchased the CD-IB100ii and am waiting on the dockstubz+ but without it does not function at all with any iPhone I've tried yet. I have confirmed its working with an iPod classic, but when you say iPhone will not charge does it connect at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.