Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:04 AM   #1
cennix
macrumors member

Naked iPhone 5..

I really want my iPhone 5 to be naked, it looks so much nicer and it takes advantage of the actual weight of the phone. Anyone who has no case and is completely fine with it?
cennix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:11 AM   #2
blackbear219
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cennix View Post
I really want my iPhone 5 to be naked, it looks so much nicer and it takes advantage of the actual weight of the phone. Anyone who has no case and is completely fine with it?
As long as you can handle the fact that it will get nicks and scratches on it over a couple years, it is perfectly capable of handling the world naked. Mine is naked right now while I wait for my grove case to come in, it's fine.
blackbear219 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:12 AM   #3
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I keep mine in a holster on my belt at work and keep it in a form fitting leather pouch when I keep it in my pocket.

It's naked, but constantly shielded lol.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Ctguy
macrumors newbie

My phone is always naked since iPhone 1, 3G, 4,4S,5. Never had any scratches
Ctguy is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:18 AM   #5
findwaldonow
macrumors member

I don't think it's the few scuffs and scratches that get me to buy a case, but instead the unforeseen freak accident drop on pavement that could really damage it. I can see myself dropping this thing once over the course of a couple of years and really putting a good gouge in it that will affect the feel and shape of the phone more than a small scratch, if not ruin it completely. I'm doing what i did with the 4 because of the glass: getting a case for day to day transport, running, going out, etc that snaps on and off easily, incase makes one. Then, when I'm at work or at home for the weekend I take the phone out and use the case as a pad for it so it's not scratching against tables and whatnot. This may rub the finish off of the corners but helps possibly prevent the massive freak accident that I tend to be concerned about.
findwaldonow is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yup, black launch day 5 with no damage here.
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:22 AM   #7
JodyK
macrumors 6502a

My 4S was in a lifeproof case ... No cases at launch and my 5 is naked .. Some scratches (minor minor on silver logo) but really liking it "naked" ... May just get a zagg film for it. Would miss being able to do underwater pics though like with the life proofcase.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:24 AM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Why does everyone think this is something special? Don't want to use a case, don't use a case. You just have to be more careful with how you handle it.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:24 AM   #9
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't know why people like to cover up such a beautiful device. I don't understand the strange need to "protect" the back and sides from scratches, etc... What is the point of protecting it from scratches, if you never even see the surface that would possibly be scratched anyway? It's just so pointless to me. Nobody drives around with protective cases on their car to avoid scratches.

So for me, no case, no screen protectors, nothing... Out of the box and into my pocket. So far I have one tiny scratch on the little bottom glass part on the back, not sure how it got there and no big deal though.

I did the same with my iPhone 4 and it only ended up with very minimal scratches on the back, and two fine scratches on the front from accidental contact with keys.

I keep my phone in my "5th pocket" of my jeans.
DDustiNN is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:25 AM   #10
msommy
macrumors newbie

A long time ago I bought this device called a Zune.....well before I knew what I was doing with my life. Well....this Zune came with a velvet like sock to protect it and I keep my Iphone 5 in that. So it sits in my pocket and when I want to use I just pull the phone out. Not too much of a hassle at all. And it keeps the phone the way it should be used...naked. Show it off and enjoy the fact that it is slim and light.

However, a case is a great thing to have. When I had my Iphone 4 I had a cases but sick of using them and went naked on the phone. Then I dropped it from lap when getting out of the car in a parking lot and the bottom of glass cracked.

So........it is truly up to you. But you should find a way to protect it somehow.
msommy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:51 PM   #11
cennix
macrumors member

My decision is to keep it naked, the phone looks so much better without a case but i just get worried if i drop it, whatever ill take my chances
cennix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:47 PM   #12
Eldiablojoe
macrumors 6502a

You can keep it naked but somewhat protected (especially from keys and change and stuff in your pockets) if you use an invisi-shield type film cover such as the awesome stuff they do at http://www.FusionOfIdeas.com.

I always get the clear on the front and back, and then I get the brushed aluminum or matte black on the sides (depending on whatever matches original on the device). Can't even tell it has anything on it. Both sides and the edges cost me $37 installed (with lifetime replacement guarantee if it ever peels or bubbles).

Hope this helps.
Eldiablojoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:59 PM   #13
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Going completely naked since launch day just keeping it in my pocket. I bought AppleCare + and I've got no worries. Yeah I got a small ding on the corner after a less than two foot drop on concrete but the silver didn't even shine through. Can barely tell its there.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:59 PM   #14
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

This phone is gorgeous. I have a few nicks on it, but so what. It's not going to stay flawless, and the feel of it without a case on it is worth not covering it up. Things scratch or get flaws. Such is life.
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:21 PM   #15
Ntombi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctguy View Post
3G, 3GS, 4, and 5 here. All naked, never had a scratch.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:23 PM   #16
iPhoneApple
macrumors 6502

You can always get a cheap bumper to protect the edges.
iPhoneApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:29 PM   #17
JoyceLambir
macrumors newbie

I can see myself dropping this thing once over the course of a couple of years and really putting a good gouge in it that will affect the feel and shape of the phone more than a small scratch[img]http://www.*************/a102.jpg[/img]
JoyceLambir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:30 PM   #18
boobie12
macrumors 6502

Was naked the first week then put a case on it, took of the case today. Definitely returning the case because I'd rather have the phone naked. Feels so much better.
boobie12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:33 PM   #19
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 68000

The phone is much nicer naked, but I just couldn't deal with the consequences of an accidental drop.

I've dropped phones in the past (and I am an extremely cautious person with my phone) and they were always saved by the case (especially with a lip around the screen). They probably wouldn't have cracked from the drops, but they definitely would have been scratched/scraped.

Accidents happen, and by definition are unavoidable even if you can reduce the chances of one happening. If you can deal with cosmetic blemishes, then by all means go for it.

I also like having a case so I don't have to be super-careful every time I lay the phone down on the table.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:39 PM   #20
IMDeus
macrumors newbie

First, figure out if you can afford to replace it if it breaks. This is a major factor and will be different for some. If you cannot then I would put it in a case. If you can't then maybe get AppleCare+ and carry it without. If you do decide to carry naked I highly suggest the ZaggHD full body. I love this naked
IMDeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:39 PM   #21
erratikmind
macrumors 6502a

There is no right or wrong answer. It's an individual decision/choice.
erratikmind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:40 PM   #22
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

i currently have ghost armor on it but I am not happy with it .. i think i am going to take it off and just go naked iphone .. i have applecare+ so i have two replacements .. so im not worried
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:53 PM   #23
ShiTzuism
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctguy View Post
Bold claim dude. Bold claim.
ShiTzuism is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:54 PM   #24
AbyssImpact
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbear219 View Post
As long as you can handle the fact that it will get nicks and scratches on it over a couple years, it is perfectly capable of handling the world naked. Mine is naked right now while I wait for my grove case to come in, it's fine.
a couple of years? LOL. I thought people upgrade every time the new version release.
AbyssImpact is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:25 PM   #25
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a

Anyone with no case and completely fine with it either accepts inevitable wear and tear on their phone, or they have altered their carry habits that place the phone on a pedestal, coddling it as though it were a Fabergé Egg.
FieldingMellish is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone