Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
Ok, so there's this weird sound (very difficult to hear) which comes from the top right side of my MBP. Sounds like a cricket and I don't remember hearing that noise until a couple of days ago.

Is it the CPU ?

Binomio

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
If you have a cMBP, the sound might be coming from the fans, hard drive or optical drive. If you aren't afraid of damaging your laptop, you can take the bottom cover, and listen closely.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, so there's this weird sound (very difficult to hear) which comes from the top right side of my MBP. Sounds like a cricket and I don't remember hearing that noise until a couple of days ago.

Is it the CPU ?

It wouldn't be the CPU - It would either be the fans or the hard drive (or the optical drive if you have a disk in).

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
It wouldn't be the CPU - It would either be the fans or the hard drive (or the optical drive if you have a disk in).

I have an SSD so no it's not my HDD.

It's not the fans either since they are dead silent (1900 RPM).

Sound comes from the top right corner of my MBP (13 inch 2011 base model) keyboard/ac. It's almost impossible to hear it but it's there. I remember hearing the same sound on very old computers.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have an SSD so no it's not my HDD.

It's not the fans either since they are dead silent (1900 RPM).

Sound comes from the top right corner of my MBP (13 inch 2011 base model) keyboard/ac. It's almost impossible to hear it but it's there. I remember hearing the same sound on very old computers.

The top right is where the optical disk drive in located - Do you have a disk in the drive?

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
Any suggestions?

I repeat: it's like a cricket/processing sound coming from the MagSafe even when it's not connected.

Unfortunately I cannot record it since the microphone cannot pick it up :/

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Any suggestions?

I repeat: it's like a cricket/processing sound coming from the MagSafe even when it's not connected.

Unfortunately I cannot record it since the microphone cannot pick it up :/

I had one replaced for this, the replacement eventually started doing the same. I hear the 'crickets' when I press on the aluminum between the keys... Brought into Genius Bar and he said it would need top cover replacement with an etr of 'weeks', so I am living with it for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.