Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
  • It's shorter, fits in my front pocket better when I sit down
  • It has rounded edges which makes it easier to hold, and also more comfortable in my back pocket (my backside also has rounded edges :))
  • I can hold it in my right hand and my thumb can reach every corner of the screen, including the top left corner where you sometimes have to tap to go "back" a page
  • It has an ambient light sensor which automatically adjusts the screen brightness for me
  • Because it is shorter, I can reach the lock button easily with my forefinger while holding it in one hand
  • Because the connector is the same, I can share the charger with my iPad
I've been waiting 2 years for this upgrade, and I'm just not feelin' the 5G yet.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I felt the same way when I went from a second generation iPod touch to a fourth. Apple moved the sleep/wake button from the top left corner to the top right, which made it nearly impossible to press with my right pointer finger while holding it in one hand. The 4th has a flat back which didn't feel as good in my hand as the 2nd iPod touch, and the volume buttons are at an awkward angle, sort of on the back.

After two years of using it, I love it but am looking forward to transitioning to the fifth generation iPod touch.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
  • It has rounded edges which makes it easier to hold, and also more comfortable in my back pocket (my backside also has rounded edges :))
  • I can hold it in my right hand and my thumb can reach every corner of the screen, including the top left corner where you sometimes have to tap to go "back" a page
  • It has an ambient light sensor which automatically adjusts the screen brightness for me
  • Because it is shorter, I can reach the lock button easily with my forefinger while holding it in one hand
I've been waiting 2 years for this upgrade, and I'm just not feelin' the 5G yet.

Hmmm... the things that are making me stay with my 4g ipod touch... um... there are none

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012

Why I like the 5th gen more than the 4th gen:
  • It has a camera that's not total ass.
  • It has a screen that's not total ass.
  • It has a processor that's not total ass.
  • It has twice as much RAM and therefore not total ass.
  • It has a non-polished back that won't get scratched so easily and look like total ass.
  • I have somewhat large hands, so the fourth gen's size is too small and thus total ass.

matneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
  • It has a non-polished back that won't get scratched so easily and look like total ass.
  • I have somewhat large hands, so the fourth gen's size is too small and thus total ass.

Now that was a good response. I would click send but my thumb can't quite.... Reach.... The... Corner

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth

1. Camera is horrible but I don't use it.
2. Screen is fine, just doesn't have IPS technology.
3. A4 chip is fine, I can run games fast with little to no lag.
4. I agree with you here, but it wouldn't be worth a upgrade for me.
5. Use a case.
6. Understandable that it is to small.

----------

Hmmm... the things that are making me stay with my 4g ipod touch... um... there are none

Will be easier to jailbreak when they release the jailbreak. Sticking with my 4G for another year probably. I will see what happens next year.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
1. Camera is horrible but I don't use it.
2. Screen is fine, just doesn't have IPS technology.
3. A4 chip is fine, I can run games fast with little to no lag.
4. I agree with you here, but it wouldn't be worth a upgrade for me.
5. Use a case.
6. Understandable that it is to small.

TRANSLATION:
1. It's OK because it doesn't affect me.
2. I'm happy with old screen technology. Hell, even my TV is B&W.
3. My games do lag, but I like laggy games, makes them feel more 'human'.
4. See #1
5. Even though the chrome can scratch just by breathing it, it's your fault.
6. I have big flapping hands too.

;)

k1lljoy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
North Carolina

True dat. Lol

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

Hmmmm....yeah me too. My 4G is working great for what I want....

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
My 2yr old 64GB 4G Touch still works and looks like brand new. In spite of all of the enhancements made to the 5G, I can't justify to myself the difference in cost between what I can get for my 4G and what I'd have to pay for the 5G.

The 5G looks like an amazing device though.

coolguy879

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
A comparative study:

4G
Camera (iSight)- 0.8 MP
Age- 2 years old
RAM- 256 MB
Screen size- 3.5"
Processor- Apple A4 (as seen in iPhone 4)
Initial iOS- iOS 4 (initial release)
iOS 5 ('white' release)
iOS 6 (2012 re-release)
Highest supported iOS version (theoretical)*- iOS 6.x.x (2012-13)
All features of iOS 6.0.1- No
Siri- No (Jailbreak and proxy server required)
iPhone similar to- iPhone 4 (2010)

5G
Camera (iSight)- 5 MP
Age- A couple of months old
RAM- 512 MB
Screen size- 4"
Processor- Apple A5 (as seen in iPhone 4S)
Initial iOS- iOS 6
Highest supported iOS version (theoretical)*- iOS 8.x.x (2014-15)
All features of iOS 6.0.1- Yes (except features that would be limited to cellular devices like GPS)
Siri- Yes (stock)
iPhone similar to- iPhone 4S (2011)- performance, hardware (processor- Apple A5); iPhone 5 (2012)- hardware (display size- 4")

*All iOS devices have had a limit of 3 major updates of iOS before the updates were stopped. The only exception is the iPhone 3GS (iPhone OS 3.x.x, iOS 4.x.x, iOS 5.x.x, iOS 6.x.x.

Last edited:

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
A comparative study:

4G
Camera (iSight)- 0.8 MP
Age- 2 years old
RAM- 256 MB
Screen size- 3.5 inches
Processor- Apple A4 (as seen in iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4)
Initial iOS- iOS 4 (initial release)
iOS 5 ('white' release)
iOS 6 (2012 re-release)
Highest supported iOS version (theoretical)- iOS 6 (2012)
All fetaures of iOS 6- No
Siri- No (Jailbreak and proxy server required)
iPhone similar to- iPhone 4 (2010)

5G
Camera (iSight)- 5 MP
Age- A few days old
RAM- 512 MB
Screen size- 4 inches
Processor- Apple A5 (as seen in iPhone 4S)
Initial iOS- iOS 6
Highest supported iOS version (theoretical)- iOS 8 (2014)
All features of iOS 6- Yes (except features that would be limited to cellular devices like GPS)
Siri- Yes (stock)
iPhone similar to- iPhone 4S (2011)

Very good! I have to say... Loving my new ipod touch 5g!

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
While I am sticking with my 4th gen for now (though the lack of ram and processor power is a real nudge towards upgrading), lets face it you are grasping at straws because you don't have one so you have to justify reasons to stick with the 4th gen.

No offense but those are pretty silly reasons to stick with a device that is two years old that wasnt really a cutting edge setup to begin with when it came out in 2010.

Really the only thing the 4th gen has going anymore is price & accessory support, even that is a little much in the land of 200 dollar tablets.

matneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
So I've been carrying the 5G for almost a week now and really trying to get used to it.

I've learned how to hold it so that my thumbs can reach each corner of the screen better. I'm still not a pro, and sometimes it feels like it's going to slip out of my hand when stretching to hit that "back" arrow.

I've tried carrying it in my front jeans pocket like I used to do with the 4G, and it still feels uncomfortable. Back pocket is more comfortable, but then when I sit down I need to take it out.

I definitely LOVE the speed advantage of the 5G over the 4G, it is a noticeable improvement.

I've got one more week before the 14 day return window closes, and my company is providing me an iPhone 4S this week, so it will ultimately come down to:
* iPhone 4S for work and personal, or
* iPhone 4S for work and iPod Touch 4G for personal, or
* iPhone 4S for work and iPod Touch 5G for personal

gcrr

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
I hated the design of the iPod Touch before the 5th gen. The tapered edge and chrome back were terrible. I'm glad that they made it more like the iPhone.

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If im not wrong, i think Ipod touch 4 32G starting price is somewhere the same as gen 5. People just said it is expensive because they dont make 8G or 16G due to the still available Gen4 in the store.

The reason why so many want Ipod touch 5 is because it is just perfect in every aspect. Touch 4 has low ram and ugly camera where as everything is improved in the 5th. So, if you are in it for the camera and video recording then go for 5th. If you just wanna listen to music and play games then go for 4th which i dont suggest web browsing as much due to low ram. you can save some money and earpods is something you wouldn't miss.

I personally owned and sold 3 Ipod touch gen 4, two in black and one is white. Just keep getting back to it because there arent any good substitution for what it can do. Now with the 5th gen, you can kiss goodbye page refresh on Opera and useless camera. Although, many many games still not optimized for bigger screen. Its like playing games that didnt design to fit the screeen which could irretate some.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
~snip~ If you just wanna listen to music and play games then go for 4th which i dont suggest web browsing as much due to low ram. you can save some money and earpods is something you wouldn't miss.

I personally owned and sold 3 Ipod touch gen 4, two in black and one is white. Just keep getting back to it because there arent any good substitution for what it can do. Now with the 5th gen, you can kiss goodbye page refresh on Opera and useless camera. Although, many many games still not optimized for bigger screen. Its like playing games that didnt design to fit the screeen which could irretate some.

Yeah now I'm sorta leaning towards getting a refurb 4th gen to replace a 1st gen I've used for a really long time just to listen to audiobooks and as an alarm upstairs. Camera and chipspeed pretty irrelevant for that. Once in awhile I might pop it out of the dock and turn on the WiFi and grab the weather or news, markets etc., but mostly it just plays music or books. That whole upstairs setup is getting long in the tooth; the old Altec Lansing I use with the 1st gen touch still works great but it cannot charge the later iPod touch or work with iPhones. So I'm thinking to move my newer Altec-Lansing 30-pin speakerdock from the kitchen to upstairs and use it with a 3rd gen iPod touch that I know charges ok in it.

So if I move the 3rd-gen touch upstairs, then a refurb 4th gen iPod touch could become my "main" iPod touch that I rotate fresh content into and carry around. I only use it for music, movies, books, very light WiFi needs. I can just charge it off the Apple adapters I have for iPad.

Anyway I figure now to use a jambox or some such bluetooth speaker going forward, and forget about docking appliances until I see the next generation. I still have iPhone 4S so the only lightning-connector iDevice I have right now is the 7th gen nano. By the time I upgrade from iPhone 4S there should be some new bunch of speakerdocks to choose from.

The only thing I might miss in the immediate future with this plan is not having that Altec-Lansing in the kitchen. I have liked being able to stick any of my gear into it for listening and charging, but also to put a 3rd gen Phat-nano or a video iPod in there and watch TV reruns while waiting for pasta to cook etc. So if I can pick up something inexpensive in the 30-pin style of speakerdock, I might do it. It's not like I need stellar sound quality while frying bacon, and I still do have a bunch of 30-pin devices that I listen to and have to charge up. Otherwise just rack up the iPad where the Altec-Lansing has been sitting and use bluetooth for audio out for now. I'm sure some of the kids in the neighborhood would be glad to see me move some of those older iPods out the door and in their direction :)

matneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
So I went back to my 4G... partly because I'll be getting an iPhone 5 in December through work.

Even though the screen and speed were nicer on the 5G, I do feel like the 4G still offers plenty, is a little more pocketable, and is a good entry-level model. I'm glad they are keeping it around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.