Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sepsep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
So I don't know what's this problem for. Screen becomes randomly unresponsive and usually starts working again with turning the screen off and on with the power button. Everything else works fine (all the buttons and programs).

It mostly happens when I go outside and it's cold or I plug in a headphone (original or a third-party one doesn't matter), but it happens even at home without anything connected too. I removed the case, screen protector and anything extra but it's still the same and getting worse. I'm taking it to the Apple store this weekend and hopefully they can replace it for me because I restored it and even without any apps on it it had the same problem.

Let me know if you have the same problem and/or if you found any solution to it.

Here is the video of the problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5N0qdyhPvQ&feature=youtu.be

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Someone the other day made a thread about when their phone got cold it did this. They tested it by walking into one of those walk-in freezers.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
that's funny, do you have the link?

That was me, actually. I had read someone here and also on the Apple Discussion forums saying that cold temperatures seemed to either cause the crazy/unresponsive screen issue, or make it worse, and that sounded familiar since the other morning I'd picked up my phone that had been sitting by an open window all night and sure enough, the screen was acting crazy (random button pushes, swiping, freezing up altogether).

My wife thought I was crazy when I told her my suspicion, so I decided to test it out in the walk-in freezer at my work. The phone was working fine in the office at room temperature. I took it into the freezer and set it on a box for a few minutes to chill it down, then tried using it, and sure enough, crazy screen then unresponsive.

I'm no tech guy, but I suspect the issue is that some defect in the phone is making the screen super sensitive to static electricity. The phone would most often act up when I was laying on a very static-y blanket, and of course static electricity is worse in dry, cold air.

Anyway, long story short -- I took it to the Apple Store Genius Bar, the genius did some diagnostics, couldn't find any hardware issues, restored the firmware in case it was corrupted. Phone seemed OK, took it home, and right away had the same issues. So I took it back to the Genius Bar, said the problem hadn't gone away, and they gave me a new phone without any further questions. I still don't know really what the deal was, but I haven't been able to find anyone with this problem resolving it any other way than just replacing the phone. Hope this helps.

sepsep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
That was me, actually. I had read someone here and also on the Apple Discussion forums saying that cold temperatures seemed to either cause the crazy/unresponsive screen issue, or make it worse, and that sounded familiar since the other morning I'd picked up my phone that had been sitting by an open window all night and sure enough, the screen was acting crazy (random button pushes, swiping, freezing up altogether).

My wife thought I was crazy when I told her my suspicion, so I decided to test it out in the walk-in freezer at my work. The phone was working fine in the office at room temperature. I took it into the freezer and set it on a box for a few minutes to chill it down, then tried using it, and sure enough, crazy screen then unresponsive.

I'm no tech guy, but I suspect the issue is that some defect in the phone is making the screen super sensitive to static electricity. The phone would most often act up when I was laying on a very static-y blanket, and of course static electricity is worse in dry, cold air.

Anyway, long story short -- I took it to the Apple Store Genius Bar, the genius did some diagnostics, couldn't find any hardware issues, restored the firmware in case it was corrupted. Phone seemed OK, took it home, and right away had the same issues. So I took it back to the Genius Bar, said the problem hadn't gone away, and they gave me a new phone without any further questions. I still don't know really what the deal was, but I haven't been able to find anyone with this problem resolving it any other way than just replacing the phone. Hope this helps.

Cool. thanks for the info. I'm going to the apple store on Saturday. Hopefully they replace it without question.

sepsep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
No Solution, Returned

Mine had the issue only when it got a little bit cold. So took it to the Apple Store and fortunately it was cold that day. Kept it cool until the "Genius" guy took a look and saw that it was like that. He immediately changed the phone for me. So now I have a new one.

jefo13

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
I am glad I found this post!! I bought my 4S on Craig's List last June and it has been a perfect little phone for me, zero issues. The winter came and I just got back from my first snowboard trip and I have been puzzled as to why my screen was unresponsive to my touch (no gloves) when I was anywhere but in heated buildings... Of course after reading your posts I know I am screwed since I do not have any warranty any more, it expired in November. But for anyone out there, you can test the defect by holding your phone in front of the AC vent at full max blast on cooling, it does it for me!!

Anyway, if anyone knows a remedy, please post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.