Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:41 PM   #1
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
Phone keeps saying No Sim Card

I got my iPhone 5 on launch date and today i keep getting a No Sim Card notice on my phone. I can turn off the phone completely and turn it back on and it returns to normal. I then get the message again later in the day, sometimes 20 minutes later sometimes an hour. This happened the first time yesterday, and so far today it has happened about 6 times. Before yesterday no issues at all and in the previous 2 iPhones I had since the launch day of the iPhone 3G it has never happened. I also have had a case on the iPhone 5 since launch day.

I am on vacation right now in Key West Florida, from Orlando Florida, so not sure what could be causing this issue. When the SIM card is working normally I am getting 3-4 bars and usually 4G or LTE. I guess when I get back to Orlando I will have to go to AT&T or Apple and have it checked.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Make sure the sim sits right inside the sim tray.
If it moves and gets out of place then the phone might not be able to read it.
Also try a reset network settings.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:53 PM   #3
jimmy575
macrumors member

Try: Reset network settings
Re-seat sim card
Reset all settings
Replace sim card (AT&T will give you a free replacement)
Restore phone as new

In that order, if your issue persists, there is something wrong with the phone and how it reads the sim card, it needs to be replaced under Apple's warranty.

Hope this helps.
jimmy575 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
ant69
macrumors regular

my wife had this with her new iPhone 5 too, removing the sim and giving it a wipe and re inserting it seemed to do the trick.

if that doesn't work i second whats already been suggested, get a new sim card, if that doesn't work get the phone swapped at the apple store.

Ant
ant69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:08 AM   #5
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

I had this problem on my Sprint iPhone 5. I took it to the Apple store and they immediately swapped out the phone and the sim card. This was on Oct 10, and as of Oct 12 I've had no further problems. Time will tell.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:43 PM   #6
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

i had this issue on my iphone 4, as many others have. its a hardware issue and the phone needs to be replaced. with my iphone 4, i tried everything. resetting stuff, reloading the OS, replacing the SIM etc. nothing helped until apples genius bar replaced the phone.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
al0513
macrumors 6502

Been having this issue for two days now. so annoying. Pulling it out and giving the sim a wipe seems to work.
al0513 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Ggordillo88
macrumors newbie

I received my AT&T 16gb iPhone last week and I was continuing to receive the same error message stating no SIM card. I turned off the phone and back on which would fix temporarily but then continued getting the SIM card missing message after a period of time. Then I turned off the LTE in the network settings and since the haven't had the error message once in the last 3 days.
Ggordillo88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:18 AM   #9
samuelelbaz
macrumors member

Same issue as well for me on my 3rd phone about 20-24 hours of wasted time trying to fix this I hate this phone more than anything and they wont return it. Because I am outside 15 days I have never dealt with such a stupid error I am so frustrated, by apple and sprint they both blame problem on each other and get nothing fixed.
samuelelbaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting