Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Hires Key Chip Designer from Samsung

The Wall Street Journal reports that former AMD chip designer and executive Jim Mergard has now moved to Apple after a brief stint at Samsung, marking a significant talent win for Apple in its efforts to build its own chips.
Quote:
The gadget maker has hired Jim Mergard, a 16-year veteran of Advanced Micro Devices who was a vice president and chief engineer there before he left for Samsung. He is known for playing a leading role in the development of a high-profile AMD chip that carried the code name Brazos and was designed for low-end portable computers. [...]

It is not clear whether Mergard will work at Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters or remain in Austin, where he worked for AMD and Samsung. Apple has long operated a customer support center in the Texas capitol, but the company has had a local presence in chip design as well since its 2010 purchase of the startup Intrinsity.
The report quotes former AMD executive Patrick Moorhead as saying that Mergard has expertise in both PC chip design and system-on-a-chip design such as that used for Apple's iOS devices. The company uses ARM-based designs for its A-series chips that power its iOS devices, and the new A6 chip found in the iPhone 5 appears to be Apple's first custom design.

Apple and Samsung of course have a complicated relationship, with the two rivals competing fiercely in the marketplace and the courtroom even as Samsung is one of Apple's primary suppliers. Apple's ARM-based chips are key components that are currently manufactured by Samsung.

Article Link: Apple Hires Key Chip Designer from Samsung
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
ccmovies
macrumors member

The question is, what kind of chip will he make? Potato?
ccmovies is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Banned

This is great news for consumers of the best products.

Last edited by dejo; Oct 27, 2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Restoring damaged post.
314631 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:47 PM   #4
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

This is like when the bad guy in a superhero movie has the good guy trapped and says something like, "You know, you and I, we're not so different ".

Last edited by AngerDanger; Oct 11, 2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: stupid image
AngerDanger is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:48 PM   #5
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Their second such high profile hire from AMD. It's clear the A6 is only the beginning and AMD has a rough road ahead.
chrmjenkins is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:48 PM   #6
nzalog
macrumors regular

Hope this has more to do with Apple becoming self sufficient and not relying on Samsung for it's mobile processors more than it has to do with Apple getting away from using INTEL processors. I'm sure there would be many benefits to having an chip specifically designed for your needs but I think it would be a mistake to get away from INTEL. It would make switching to Apple a bigger risk for new customers not having the option to run windows natively.
nzalog is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:50 PM   #7
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
Uh oh..
voyagerd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Radio
In Time-Out

So will this stop the Samsung hate?

the brains of the iPhone are brought to you by Samsung !!!!

So shut up already - Samsung rocks
Radio is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:56 PM   #9
mrxak
macrumors 65816

His salary will be paid by the damages from the verdict against Samsung .
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmovies View Post
Applause
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:00 PM   #11
clibinarius
macrumors 6502a

I'm not convinced this is for the iOS market-that makes little sense to me. Rather, I think Apple wants a Graphic Solution for its Retina Display machines. Battery life will be a bottleneck there.

I'm not getting one until Haswell comes out for that reason. And I think Apple has it fine with iOS products. Computer Graphics are a headache.

Just a thought.
clibinarius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:02 PM   #12
macdev2010
macrumors newbie

Second Exec from AMD (ATI)

In 2009 they hired Raja Koduri http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...a-koduri-apple , Now this dude
macdev2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:02 PM   #13
CJK
macrumors member

"gadget maker"

Does it bother anyone else that Apple is frequently referred to as a maker of "gadgets" instead of as a technology/computer company? To my mind, it's a bit of a dig at Apple's products as mere toys/gadgets rather than the sparks that ignited the entire mobile/post-PC computing era.

It also makes me a bit depressed, as the press doesn't seem to remember that Apple even builds Macs any more.

(Sometimes I wonder whether Apple itself remembers that.)

/nostalgia
CJK is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:03 PM   #14
nzalog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmovies View Post
Apple chips.
nzalog is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:08 PM   #15
oldmanwalking
macrumors newbie

Lawsuit: the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerd View Post
Uh oh..
Yes. A new chip design. Samsung sues alledging use of proprietary information by former employee.
oldmanwalking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:10 PM   #16
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

He doesn't look Korean at all

Apple's assembling the Dream Team of SoC designers. Intel....you've been warned.
nuckinfutz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:11 PM   #17
pacalis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwalking View Post
Yes. A new chip design. Samsung sues alledging use of proprietary information by former employee.
This. Sounds like a very long, very messy lawsuit.
pacalis is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:13 PM   #18
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdev2010 View Post
In 2009 they hired Raja Koduri http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...a-koduri-apple , Now this dude
John Bruno as well

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-grabs...runo-19239286/

Preparing to leave other "mere mortal" companies in its wake.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:17 PM   #19
paradox00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post

The A6 is Apple's own design, Samsung is the fab shop that currently meets Apple's need to produce these designs in volume.
paradox00 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:18 PM   #20
portishead
Banned

Quote:
The make good TV's and appliances I'll give them that.
portishead is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:18 PM   #21
bobob
macrumors 65816

Quote:

He's an AMD guy - - he was only briefly poached by Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK View Post
Does it bother anyone else that Apple is frequently referred to as a maker of "gadgets" instead of as a technology/computer company? To my mind, it's a bit of a dig at Apple's products as mere toys/gadgets rather than the sparks that ignited the entire mobile/post-PC computing era.
I was just going to post the same thing. The media always looks for an opportunity to put down America's golden boy.
bobob is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:18 PM   #22
nzalog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwalking View Post
Didn't Apple design it's own chip for the iPhone 5? I'm honestly asking here but I thought they did.
nzalog is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:18 PM   #23
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:

This guy spent most of his career at AMD and was only briefly with Samsung. The statement about the "brains of the iPhone" is hardly accurate. No doubt Samsung makes cool tech, but their ethics and practices and advertising are extremely questionable. They have been involved in more scandals (including bribery of government officials) than any of the big tech companies. I had my heart set on buying a Samsung TV because their displays are awesome. But when it came down to it, I could not bring myself to pull the trigger on the purchase after the terrible taste left in my mouth by Samsung's business practices surfaced in the Apple v Samsung trial. Samsung's anti-iPhone-user advertising does not help them in my book either since it seeks to insult me.

That whole Samsung/Apple trial showed a side of Samsung that made me think twice about supporting a company like that with my hard-earned money. Since that day at Costco & Best Buy where I struggled to spend money on a Samsung TV, I have been looking to see if Sharp or LG offer an LED TV comparable to Samsung's, but mostly I am waiting to see if Apple announces something in this area by the Spring 2013 timeframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzalog View Post
Hope this has more to do with Apple becoming self sufficient and not relying on Samsung for it's mobile processors more than it has to do with Apple getting away from using INTEL processors. I'm sure there would be many benefits to having an chip specifically designed for your needs but I think it would be a mistake to get away from INTEL. It would make switching to Apple a bigger risk for new customers not having the option to run windows natively.
I don't think Apple will move off Intel until Windows becomes less relevant. Windows 8 may really push Windows down the slippery slope of fading relevancy. Not because the technology is horrible (much of it is awesome), but the execution by Microsoft is ridiculously bad. If Windows 8 succeeds it will be in spite of Microsoft making some really lame-brain decisions. I am guessing Windows 8 will alienate most Windows users who typically upgrade because of familiarity. What Microsoft should have done:

1) Release "Windows 8" as a tablet operating system that defaulted to the Metro start screen with absolutely NO DESKTOP crutch. They should have made Office fully metro and they should have made the Metro version of IE10 support Flash & tabs, rather than requiring you to use the desktop version to get the full feature set.

2) Release "Windows 8 Pro" for the desktop PC and have it default to the standard Windows-7-like desktop that is familiar to users. However, Microsoft should have offered a "hot corner" that would slide the Metro tiles start screen in so you could run your "Windows 8" tablet apps right on your PC. Then give an option in the setting to make Metro the default start screen for advanced users.

Instead they are doing the worst of both worlds. The desktop and MS Office looks like a mess on the tablet (even with an expert like Ed Bott showing it off) and the Metro start screen is going to confuse the heck out of users who keep using Windows out of familiarity.
BC2009 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:20 PM   #24
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

He'll move to Cupertino.
mdriftmeyer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:20 PM   #25
rendevouspoo
macrumors regular

Yesterday, and everyday before that: Hate on Samsung day
Today: Ecstatic about a samsung employee working at Apple.
rendevouspoo is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion