Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
xuselppa
Banned

Best Buy gonna sell the S3 for $99 on 14 Oct only

Just saw this deal on CNET. If you were on the fence about getting this phone, you can get it now for a hundred bucks, add in a 64gb sd card and you have got yourself an 82gb phone for $150!

Best Buy is going under and will soon end up like Circuit City. They are doing these promotions to try and compete with Amazon, which is an exercise in futility. Sad to see BB fade away.
xuselppa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
onthecouchagain
Banned

When will BB close down? Is there a date?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
3bs
macrumors 603

Is this unlocked?
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
cotak
macrumors regular

Some of the carriers in Canada were doing 0 dollars for the S3. 99 is rather expensive...
cotak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:59 PM   #5
3bs
macrumors 603

If we're talking about carriers then 3 in Ireland were offering the S3 for free. I'm not sure if they still do and whether it's a 18 or 24 months contract.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6
b166er
macrumors 68020

BB is in trouble? This is the first I've heard of it. They just opened a new one two towns over from me.

If that's unlocked or contract free then I will get one. But could we get a link here?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:03 PM   #7
comper
macrumors member

There is no way in hell that the $99 price is for an S3 without a contract attached to it.
comper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:27 PM   #8
M87
macrumors 65816

Can you use a Verizon upgrade with this, or is it new customers only? Also, do they add their own contract on top of the carrier agreement like Amazon does?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuselppa View Post
Just saw this deal on CNET. If you were on the fence about getting this phone, you can get it now for a hundred bucks, add in a 64gb sd card and you have got yourself an 82gb phone for $150!

Best Buy is going under and will soon end up like Circuit City. They are doing these promotions to try and compete with Amazon, which is an exercise in futility. Sad to see BB fade away.
Im guessing that is a subsidized price. Cant see them selling it for $99 off contract.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:04 AM   #10
Firesign3394
macrumors regular

Cool

Quote:

Best Buy is going under? Have you seen their cash flow?
A company is trying to do something nice for customers and you see it as futile? Wow....
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:12 AM   #11
xuselppa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesign3394 View Post
A company is trying to do something nice for customers and you see it as futile? Wow....
It's not being nice. Has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by xuselppa; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:23 AM   #12
xuselppa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesign3394 View Post
Best Buy is closing down numerous stores around the country and letting a lot of those employees go, in order to consolidate. Amazon is kicking their butt, and consumers are using Best Bug's brick and mortar stores to browse physical items and then compare pricing on their smartphones.
Circuit City had a nice cash flow going at one point as well, until Best Buy undercut their pricing with volume. Sound familiar? Except Amazon is now undercutting BB.

50 Best Buy stores closed this year alone and staff sent packing, plus the founder and CEO resigned in April and sold all of his stock sending Best Bug's stock down 92%!

This is the future of Best Buy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1345576066437.cached.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	371254  
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:52 AM   #13
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Best Buy is closing down numerous stores around the country and letting a lot of those employees go, in order to consolidate. Amazon is kicking their butt, and consumers are using Best Bug's brick and mortar stores to browse physical items and then compare pricing on their smartphones.
Circuit City had a nice cash flow going at one point as well, until Best Buy undercut their pricing with volume. Sound familiar? Except Amazon is now undercutting BB.

50 Best Buy stores closed this year alone and staff sent packing, plus the founder and CEO resigned in April and sold all of his stock sending Best Bug's stock down 92%!

This is the future of Best Buy:
I think it is a bummer they are in trouble. I like being able to go in and use some of the products but the stores has its faults.

I went in yesterday trying to find some Otterbox cases for my GS3 and 95% of all the cases and accessaries they have are for the iPhone. Thats one big strike right there since they sell so many other phones. I mean WTF are they thinking there? I dont expect every phone to have accessaries but the GS3 is a big seller and they have really nothing but a few cheap crappy plastic cases.
The ONE Otterbox they did have for the GS3 was a camouflage print and it was $59. Those same Defender Otterbox cases are $29 to $40 on eBay.
I ended up getting a Otterbox Commuter for $17.53($20.99 minus $3.47 with my eBay bucks). I might have bouhgt one there if they carried it but they didnt.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:22 PM   #14
b166er
macrumors 68020

I was so tempted to get the S3 last Sunday. I had my finger on the button all day. But I really wanted to get the Lumia 920 and now that they are around the corner and for just $150 I'm glad I waited.

I am definitely going to check out the S4 this spring or whenever it drops. Is it odd of me to have three phones?!

I don't know about BB- they just opened two near me and they are always busy when I'm there. I admit I usually do prefer Amazon, especially with Prime. But if I want something NOW Best Buy is literally the only place to go. I just bought a great TV from them during their memorial day sale. And if you want a CD or DVD they are the only game in town where I am. I also purchased a clothes dryer from them and their delivery service was spot on. Way better than Sears. Their salesman suck, but that's any retail store. Even Apple haha.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices