Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1
dissdnt
macrumors 65816

eBay Instant Sale Scam

So I went the route of selling my iPhone 4 with ebay instant sale with an offer of 200 bucks.

Well 10 days later after receiving it they finally got back to me with an offer of 43 bucks claiming the vibrate feature doesn't work.

I've used and handled that phone for over a year and at no time have I had any issue with the stupid vibrate feature.

It's clearly a scam to not pay out the initial offer. I did email them but I'm sure i'll get nothing but crickets and my phone back in 7-10 days.

I honestly plan to film the opening and testing of my phone once it's received to show what nonsense this company is that works with Ebay.

2 weeks is an eternity on the resell value market and by time I get this phone back, if they haven't broken it already, and try to sell it I'm sure i'll get crap for it.

So thanks ebay!

Anyone else have horror stories?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Six8
macrumors 6502a

That sux! $43 trololol
Six8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:17 PM   #3
dissdnt
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six8 View Post
That sux! $43 trololol
HAHA I thank you for mocking my pain.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:18 PM   #4
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

You're 100% correct about the market. I sold my iphone 4 black 16gb about 1 week after the iphone 5 came out.

its an at&t 4 16gb with a totally shattered screen, but everything worked perfect. i got $198 for it, ebay auction.

My friend sold his about 1 week after my auction ended. identical phone, except his was perfect condition. he got $251. He was furious lol
aphexacid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:19 PM   #5
marsmissions
macrumors 6502

I've sold two iPads and two iPhones through instant sale and was paid the full initial offer all four times.

It is definitely not a scam.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Brad02
macrumors member

Had the same thing happen to me. Perfect iphone 4 $200 offered but then when they inspected they Said it had dead pixels and hot spots? Hah. The phone had zero stuff wrong with it besides the random home button not working. Was offered $105.. Wondering if they harvested parts from mine.
Brad02 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Iphone 2.2
macrumors member

make sure you receive your old phone and not another phone that they had that doesnt work, and has that problem claiming its yours. AKA the old switch a roo
Iphone 2.2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:25 PM   #8
sawah
macrumors 6502a

I've never had a single problem with instant sale and I've sold 4-5 phones on there. I've always received what I've been quoted, and I've never had them tell me my phone wasn't in the condition that I said it was.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:26 PM   #9
janita
macrumors member

I sold my black, 16gb, iPhone 4 to instant sale without any problems. They quoted me $200 and I had that amount in my bank account within a week of mailing the phone to them.
janita is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

That sucks dude
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:09 PM   #11
richpuer
macrumors 6502

Hopefully you took a screen shot of the serial number before u sent it out
richpuer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:59 PM   #12
braddick
macrumors 68040

Is there a slight chance to vibration is turned off? If so the company may not know to double check this in settings.

Either way you're right. A loss of a couple weeks could play havoc on resale value although I've noticed, interestingly enough, values for the 4 and 4S and increased ever so slightly after the onslaught of iPhones were sold with the iP5 release.

Perhaps a couple of extra weeks may work in your favor.
braddick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:13 PM   #13
groupersandwich
macrumors 6502

I sold mine to eBay instant sale and it couldn't have gone smoother. That's too bad about your troubles with them.
groupersandwich is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:05 PM   #14
nostresshere
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupersandwich View Post
I sold mine to eBay instant sale and it couldn't have gone smoother. That's too bad about your troubles with them.
Many people come here and have reported it went fine.

Some do not.

To call it a scam is, well just another scam.
nostresshere is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:18 PM   #15
praetorx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissdnt View Post
As a seller you have zero fraud protection on eBay.

I was scammed a few years back by a guy who bought a $850 laptop from me, claimed it was not working, filed a dispute with PayPal and shipped it back with changed parts (battery he stole alone was worth $100).

PayPal deducted the full price from my bank account and put a hold on the $850 the buyer paid me. I was out $1700 that month. At least he sent something back so after one month I got my $850 back and was able to sell the remaining parts at a loss.

I had no recourse and PayPal wanted me to file a report with the police.

eBay and PayPal support fraud and their feedback system is in existent if you're the seller.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Jess2387
macrumors newbie

I recently sent my Blackberry torch to these people last Monday Oct 1st I checked the status and its been delivered then it said cexchange is waiting to receive your device and it's been saying that for a few days. I've emailed them and ebay and have yet to get a answer . I was quoted $140. I'm irritated that I have not heard back from these clowns! Anyone have the same issue?
Jess2387 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:44 PM   #17
StephenAndrew
macrumors member

^^ I have a similar issue. I emailed my phone to them on Sept. 28th, it was delivered to them Oct. 4th. Haven't heard a peep from them, and haven't gotten a payment. Just today I emailed them to ask what's up, because it says in the confirmation that I would receive payment within two days after they get it. It's been seven now, and without any communication or explanation, it's a little annoying.
StephenAndrew is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:48 PM   #18
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess2387 View Post
I recently sent my Blackberry torch to these people last Monday Oct 1st I checked the status and its been delivered then it said cexchange is waiting to receive your device and it's been saying that for a few days. I've emailed them and ebay and have yet to get a answer . I was quoted $140. I'm irritated that I have not heard back from these clowns! Anyone have the same issue?
Mine was delivered on 10/3 and I finally got the email and the status update today that it was received and being evaluated.
Now lets see if they stick to their offer price.
Gjwilly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:51 PM   #19
StephenAndrew
macrumors member

BTW, am I the only one who thinks CExchange is a horrible name for a company, given the similarities in pronunciation between C and S?
StephenAndrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:06 AM   #20
dissdnt
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorx View Post
As a seller you have zero fraud protection on eBay.

I was scammed a few years back by a guy who bought a $850 laptop from me, claimed it was not working, filed a dispute with PayPal and shipped it back with changed parts (battery he stole alone was worth $100).

PayPal deducted the full price from my bank account and put a hold on the $850 the buyer paid me. I was out $1700 that month. At least he sent something back so after one month I got my $850 back and was able to sell the remaining parts at a loss.

I had no recourse and PayPal wanted me to file a report with the police.

eBay and PayPal support fraud and their feedback system is in existent if you're the seller.
I understand about the fraud thing. I sell stuff online for a living and we get charge backs and other nonsense all the time. But this has nothing to do with me as a seller being fraudulent.

I sent a perfectly good working iPhone 4 in perfect working order and they hit me back with nonsense. That's fraud.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:24 AM   #21
zea mays
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissdnt View Post
So I went the route of selling my iPhone 4 with ebay instant sale with an offer of 200 bucks.

2 weeks is an eternity on the resell value market and by time I get this phone back, if they haven't broken it already, and try to sell it I'm sure i'll get crap for it.

So thanks ebay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02 View Post
Had the same thing happen to me. Perfect iphone 4 $200 offered but then when they inspected they Said it had dead pixels and hot spots? Hah. The phone had zero stuff wrong with it besides the random home button not working. Was offered $105.. Wondering if they harvested parts from mine.
I had a similar experience. Got my quote of $200 each for 2 iPhone 4 16gb. Sent them in immediately after receiving my iPhone 5. One phone, they gave me the offered $200, but the other phone they said had "hot spots and at least one stuck pixel" and offered me $95 for it. I accepted the $200 and told them to send me back the $95 phone.

I got my phone back with no noticeable changes except a couple stickers on the box and phone. Cleaned it back up and sold it for $275 on craigslist a little less than a week later. There were zero dead pixels or "hotspots" that I could discern. The buyer was pleased and so was I, however, I will likely not use InstantSale again.

Last edited by zea mays; Oct 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
zea mays is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:55 AM   #22
blueprint1983
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to blueprint1983
still waiting on my iphone 4. they offered $153, and they have already received it but are still inspecting it..
blueprint1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:49 PM   #23
Jess2387
macrumors newbie

Well mine still says their waiting to receive my item although it said it was delivered the 4th! Really want to know if they even got it or not.. .
Jess2387 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:00 PM   #24
SheepNutz
macrumors 6502a

I sold my 32GB iPhone 4 to them for $235, and got the full amount just a few days after they received it.
SheepNutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:21 PM   #25
ECUalum03
macrumors newbie

I sold 3 to them and got my full quoted price on all 3, 16g 4, 32 g 4, and 16g 4S. One I sent on the 28th and hadn't heard anything so I sent an email and they are backed up because of the large number they recently received.
ECUalum03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone