Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pecans

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
So I have recently saved up enough money to be able to buy some 'decent' (to me :p) audio equipment. I was debating whether I should purchase speakers or headphones. I have plenty of space for speakers so that is not a real concern but I do have a very limited amount of money seeing as I am a high school student with no job. I have about $100 to spend and I can go a little over if I need to. The main advantage to having headphones is that I could listen to my music as loud as I like when I like (my parents don't like my music so when they're home I cant blast it from speakers). Anyways, I like bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed and other rock/metal bands. Im leaning more towards headphones right now as you can't really get amazing speakers for $100.

Also- Would it be worth it to upgrade to 256kbps audio quality using iTunes Match?

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
First of all anything below 256kbps is not worth keeping.

You could get a pair of Senn PX-100 II which are damn impressive considering their price (IMO better than the PortaPro anyway, which are nice too mind you) and some decent speakers like the HK Soundsticks.
Both are extremely good value and probably less than 200USD together. That's a bit more money but this way you can have both.

jwGary

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
If you know your parents won't like you playing metal/rock songs outloud, you might want to go with the headphones. Perhaps get a pair of Klipsch Image S4s? I've had my pair for about 2 years now and I honestly can't complain about them. They're decently priced ($99 retail at bestbuy, or around $50 on amazon). Everyone I know who have tried mine are surprised at just how much bass they can produce considering how small they are.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE...d=1350026930&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+image+s4
or
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...usc=All+Categories&ks=960&st=klipsch+image+s4

shawncooper78

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
RE: Speakers or Headphones?

go with the headphones and just rock dude, speaker sucks. you can carry your headphone anywhere and enjoy the music and as you just said that you are admirer of metal, you must have headphones.

aggmiami

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
I recently purchased the below based on some very good reviews...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX700-Outdoor-Headphones/dp/B004P150LY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350067526&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mdr-zx700

...I will explain though that my listening preference is one that emphasizes (clearly & crisply) the middle and top notes with low end bass coming a close third. I find these headphones do exactly that. I find the bass to be good enough and can be easily tweaked with your onboard equalizer. They are also much more comfortable than the B&W P3's that I first tried. This particular Sony model apparently hits the sweet spot between performance and price.

Pecans

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Thanks guys! I think I am going to go with headphones. Thanks for all the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.